New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #136 of 1,588
Quote:
'Nuff said.

While I'm not sure this invalidates my thoughts on the can, for the sake of harmony I'll yield and just assume the 7100 is fantastic till I hear it in person. Innocent until proven guilty :)

Kojaku

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #139 of 1,588
I don't know why people complaining about D600's sound quality maybe their gear isn't good match for them but I'm very happy to hear how they sound. They have wider and airier soundstage than DT1350while this could be explained that since D600 are over-ear and have bigger and ticker pads than on-ear DT1350 so there more room between driver and ear canal with D600, also for me D600 have more refined details than DT1350 plus DT1350 are brighter.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #141 of 1,588
Quote:

Sorry.
I was meaning that any headphone priced at a grand isn't really going to take off as the bigtime FOTM. Something near enough a hundred dollars/pounds can though- like the fiio's, ie8, m50, this, that...

I never talk about sound emanating from a headphone i've never owned or auditioned thoroughly. Principle.

@ gonkulator
Can you please comment on its sound stage characteristics? How big, wide, tall, airy (compared to other closed phones like the d2k, k550 especially)

I gave them a listen, and I would say the 7100 has a slightly larger sound stage overall than either of them. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #143 of 1,588
I don't mean to drag things off topic, but in terms of quality standards I don't get the negative stigma around products being made in China.  Many premium electronics are... including oft-touted Apple products.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #144 of 1,588
Quote:
I don't mean to drag things off topic, but in terms of quality standards I don't get the negative stigma around products being made in China.  Many premium electronics are... including oft-touted Apple products.

Agreed - to a certain point, China is considered a stigma. 

But for technology, as long as the brand is considered good, the quality is usually fine. I consider Germany and Japan to have the best "Made in.." quality though - in general.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #145 of 1,588
I have several Chinese audio products, and they are very good. The popular stigma is against their products is not reasonable today..

Or for instance, iBasso products, for the electronics? Or how about the hifiman line? Or this. Or the MP4Nation products, e.g., a while back I was using their Nationite 16gb audio player for listening to my lossless collection outside. Great hardware. In fact, newer Esmooth wooden headphones are great, too.

Back on track. I am interested in the Denon 7100, that is, I am interested exclusively in any new closed headphones--because of where I them when I have time.

People mentioned a V or U-shaped signature? Is it anywhere like the ATH-W5000 (except with a lot more bass)?

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #146 of 1,588
Quote:
I have several Chinese audio products, and they are very good. The popular stigma is against their products is not reasonable today..

It certainly is if you are buying dog food or dry wall.

There was a time in my life where "made in Japan" = crap.  At the time it was more true than not.

Today many Chinese electronic products are fine (or better); others are not-so-good and still others are pure fakes.

If the the only thing I know about an audio product is its country of manufacture--that is made in Germany (e.g. Beyer), Austria (e.g. AKG), Japan (e.g. Sony), Ireland (e.g.Senn), U.S. (e.g. Grado) or China.  I'll pick Chinese made last.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #147 of 1,588
It is just because China make sooo many things, the poor quality products are remembered and give them a bad reputation. Also there are a lot of fakes. Products from a good brand are usually fine.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #148 of 1,588
Quote:
It is just because China make sooo many things, the poor quality products are remembered and give them a bad reputation. Also there are a lot of fakes. Products from a good brand are usually fine.

In the global economy, one would seriously limit their headphone choices and/or dramatically increase the cost of their headphones if excluding those manufactured in China.  Look at the difference in cost regarding Ultrasones manufactured in Germany vs. outside.  It is not just material costs.  I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it is.

I do think the parent companies who have their products manufactured in China hold those manufacturers to specific standards and there is a significant financial incentive to do so. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #149 of 1,588
So I am more on the fence about these new Denons than before this thread started.  There are so many mixed reviews.  I am looking forward to more reviews next week to see if there is some sort of consensus regarding the character and sonic signature of these.  I liked the looks since they were announced.  I think the beauty is in the simplicity of the design. 

I do prefer a bassier sound with hard-hitting punch and extension, but with more neutral highs.  Also, I am looking for a higher end can for portable use and would never have considered the old Denons for that, but the new ones would work.  It would also be great to have comparisons between the AH-D600 and AH-7100.  If Amazon drops the price on the AH-D600 to $400 again, I may even break out my credit card so that I could share my own review.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #150 of 1,588
Quote:
I don't know why people complaining about D600's sound quality maybe their gear isn't good match for them but I'm very happy to hear how they sound. They have wider and airier soundstage than DT1350while this could be explained that since D600 are over-ear and have bigger and ticker pads than on-ear DT1350 so there more room between driver and ear canal with D600, also for me D600 have more refined details than DT1350 plus DT1350 are brighter.

This is along the lines of how I hoped they would sound.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I read more reviews like yours to prompt me to order them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back