New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,441 of 1,588

Haha funny, muddy fart cannon. I am not sure how that sounds but here is what I think.
If you are coming from low-fi or entry level headphones like DT880 premium series, HD595 etc you will find D7100 awesome since lack of experience in other mid/high end headphones.

I went through all that and I skip all the low/mid headphones, (except T70, a long story..), so it's all relative what or how you read in this thread. If you are evaluating D7100 as a highend then you will probably say "WHAT T.."

If you are coming from low-fi, you will love D7100 :).

It's a long journey.

I honestly would have to disagree with you and statement you make. I don't have much experience with headphones but about 18 years in speakers. 
If you only judge HiFi gear by the price you pay you will always be disappointed. For some High end starts with 500k and no less, other will pay 1k and
still call it high end. 

Regarding D7100,  are they worth 900-1000 I suppose they are when u compare them to similar priced headphones. I have said this in HD650 tread but will repeat here as well. 

D7100 are like Bowers and Wilkins  with metal dome tweeter. Not for everyone. Same as BW, for some they are HighEnd others will throw them into garbage straight away. 
HD650 are like monitor speakers, midrange, midrange , midrange.... 

I'm coming from Magnepan Magneplanar speakers, Audio Note Amplifier and Pre, DAP Proceed DAC not to mention the cables. Now, am I missing anything with D7100, no!
So is my speaker setup ***** or D7100 that good ? When u look at the price of both u notice that there is about 10x price difference. 

I would advise for all unexperienced audiophiles not to believe in everything u read on forums, here or any others. Listen, listen and listen as much as possible. Meet people, go for meetings. 
Go around shops and make your own judgment. U will loose some money probably, but hey, its not a cheap hobby. Well probably one of the most expensive ones and overpriced ones:wink: 

May 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,442 of 1,588
Just wrote a comparison of the AH-D600 against the venerable Amperior of HD-25 lineage and the EX600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/720330/minor-headphone-battle-amperior-vs-ah-d600-vs-mdr-ex600

May 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,443 of 1,588

Regarding D7100,  are they worth 900-1000 I suppose they are when u compare them to similar priced headphones. I have said this in HD650 tread but will repeat here as well. 

I would advise for all unexperienced audiophiles not to believe in everything u read on forums, here or any others. Listen, listen and listen as much as possible. Meet people, go for meetings. 
Go around shops and make your own judgment.

Exactly, what i've been trying to say, DO NOT listen/follow the hype, there are better headphone for $1000 (current msrp USD).
I don't know what you said in HD650 thread but same principal applies, DO NOT believe what was said in HD650 thread, folks,, you need to go out and audition this headphone and compare side by side with similar priced headphone, then try on diff amps/dac if it scales up.

I am just trying to warn people that these are horrible headphones for the price. Some said it it the same driver as D600 ouch ? (I don't have D600 so can't tell much).

Now, auditioning at the shop and actually owning at home is a different story, you can't really evaluate any gears in 5, 10 or even 60 minutes. !. you actually need to own that and spend good 100-200 hours on it before judging it.

Again, no headphone is perfect for anyone, so if you think D7100 is good then go ahead spend $1000, but check the depression, you will understand.

May 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,444 of 1,588
But is the d7100 a legitimate upgrade from the d600? I've had a lot of comfort issues and sound sig issues in the past, and I really love the d600, if the 7100 is similar enough in sig, but hifier...I'd probably be willing to buy it when it's much cheaper ($350?)

No, it's not and that's the complaint with most people about them.  You can get a Beyerdynamic T1 for the same price as a D7100.  I don't want this to turn into a D7100 bashing thread so I'll leave it at that.

May 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,445 of 1,588
D7100 deservs more respect than it has in here. Im working on a review and will post it around tuesday.In some way the price dropp on D7100 is good because u can try them without shifting 1k. People also connect some headphones to portable devices claiming that they sound beauitfull. Every portable device Ive heard including some expensive ones, was horrible. Without proper amplification and dac most headphones sounds horrible to me.

May 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,446 of 1,588
I think a lot of the issue is in the US the D7100 is priced the same as Hifi open backs like the LCD2 or T1 but here in the UK the D7100 is half the price of those headphones. No one should expect a closed that is designed as a semi portable to match those. Some exceptions let the TH900 and W1000x can match some open backs but they are woodies and pretty expensive.

The D7100 is pretty close to neutral with a kick in the bass. The measurements look a bit funky but that's not how they sound at all. At £429 you get wood cups, nice stand, very high quality cable. The drivers are the same but so is the D2000 and D5000 and the price difference is the same. I don't think they are worth the US price but not because they are bad but because I'd prob get the LCD2 or HD650 or something else mid centric.

For a wArm, balanced, spacious headphone with good build and excellent accessories they are a steal for UK buyers.

May 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,447 of 1,588
  Wait folks, give me a second.

I obviously shot myself in the foot by even bringing up the AE2 in a thread geared toward the D600. Especially when it's, well, BOSE of all brands. Bad luck, bad timing, and now I can see an angry mob of skeptics forming. I don't play the brand game, nor do I play the price game. I'm simply just giving some impressions on what I'm hearing at the moment between two closed headphones I happened to get at the same time. Make no mistake, the D600 isn't at all bad. In fact, I'd take it's sound over the AE2 if it's bass was under control. The AE2's angled drivers is messing with the presentation a bit, giving it a slightly misaligned focus but at the same time, it sounds kind of interesting. The AE2 is easily more balanced than the D600 at the moment, yet the D600 obviously has the "technical advancements" card up it's sleeve. I guess if one listened to bass oriented music, the D600 would be about one of the best choices there is, as it's one of the only headphones, perhaps the only headphone, I've heard that has a pretty good midrange, despite it having such a bombastic bass. Of course, I'll give them both plenty more head time, not to mention proper burn in. I'll source swap too, to see if I see any changes.

Right now, I'll be comparing the XB700 to the D600.

yeah, the bombastic bass of the d600, at least that's what I'd thought initially at my local stores, but the ones i ordered for amazon.de is actually quite balanced and flat-tuned indeed, i guess there are varients...

May 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,448 of 1,588
I think a lot of the issue is in the US the D7100 is priced the same as Hifi open backs like the LCD2 or T1 but here in the UK the D7100 is half the price of those headphones. No one should expect a closed that is designed as a semi portable to match those. Some exceptions let the TH900 and W1000x can match some open backs but they are woodies and pretty expensive.

The D7100 is pretty close to neutral with a kick in the bass. The measurements look a bit funky but that's not how they sound at all. At £429 you get wood cups, nice stand, very high quality cable. The drivers are the same but so is the D2000 and D5000 and the price difference is the same. I don't think they are worth the US price but not because they are bad but because I'd prob get the LCD2 or HD650 or something else mid centric.

For a wArm, balanced, spacious headphone with good build and excellent accessories they are a steal for UK buyers.

Yup,I managed to pick a new "B" grade D7100 from a UK online store for £360, and at that price I think they are fantastic. They are extremely comfortable, though quite a large headphone and loose; I currently have them at the smallest headband adjustment.

Currently replaced my AKG k702+ amp combo, and driving it directly from Audioengine D1 or AK100 and so far happy with it.

I say at $700 USD or under, good value. 

May 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,450 of 1,588
Are the d7100 any less sensitive than d600?

I don't have d600 to compare, but on my 6 years old iPod nano, d7100 gets reasonably loud at 75% volume and too loud at 100%. On AK100, I usually have it at 65 (out of 80db). On Audioengine D1, it is usually at 20-30% max volume. 
Same driver, so I'd assume same or similarly sensitive. 

May 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,451 of 1,588

Two thoughts.

1) The D7100 is so far from neutral it's hilarious.

2) the Pandora Hope VI would beg to differ that a closed-back "semi-portable" can't match the LCD2/T1. 

May 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,452 of 1,588
Are the d7100 any less sensitive than d600?

The headphones have the same sensitivity since all the electrical parts for the headphones are the same.

Two thoughts.

2) the Pandora Hope VI would beg to differ that a closed-back "semi-portable" can't match the LCD2/T1. 

Yea these headphones are pretty far from neutral. Actually could be the farthest from neutral I've ever heard.

May 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,453 of 1,588
graphCompare.php

May 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,454 of 1,588
Two thoughts.

What you think and what someone else thinks is up to them.

Let me repeat what I said, the D600 and D7100 are pretty close to neutral. If people want to play them out of an iPod then sure they don't amazing. Hook them up to something more capable they are fantastic regardless of how sensitive they are.

For the record I've had the Pandora, they are long gone!

May 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,455 of 1,588
The response curves and my experience of using them through a Burson Conductor say otherwise. The D7100 has been called "Beats by Denon" for a reason. Look at that bass hump and then midrange drop!! That's SOOOO not neutral.

You can say you like them, sure, but calling them "neutral" isn't even a matter of opinion. It's just incorrect. They are ABSURDLY not neutral. That's like calling the Perfect Didos "neutral". Denon didn't even WANT neutral, they were aiming for a "music maniac" sound, hence the v-scoop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back