New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Feb 18, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #406 of 759
Forgot pics of new Hermes.
Can you write how satisfied you are with Sonnet Morpheus and DDC Hermes combination? Do you use I2S between the two?

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #407 of 759
Can you write how satisfied you are with Sonnet Morpheus and DDC Hermes combination? Do you use I2S between the two?
Not just yet. I will explain...

The Morpheus (with my ten year old Audiophilleo 2), was fantastic, to my ears. It's my sixth "Metrum" DAC. My previous was the Pavane L3 and the Morpheus sounds a touch more liquid and smooth with more detail!... I'm blown away.
Regarding i2s, I'm waiting on delivery of newly fabricated Cardas Clear Network cable with RJ45 terminations. This will connect the Hermes to the Morpheus. For the time being, all I have is a 25' length of optical cable lol. Don't laugh, but it's all I have.
I STILL can hear the improvements.
More minute details emerging from a blacker background. MORE separation of instruments. It's quite remarkable what the Hermes does, IMO. I can't imagine what the i2s will be like.

Hope that helps.

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #408 of 759
Not just yet. I will explain...

The Morpheus (with my ten year old Audiophilleo 2), was fantastic, to my ears. It's my sixth "Metrum" DAC. My previous was the Pavane L3 and the Morpheus sounds a touch more liquid and smooth with more detail!... I'm blown away.
Regarding i2s, I'm waiting on delivery of newly fabricated Cardas Clear Network cable with RJ45 terminations. This will connect the Hermes to the Morpheus. For the time being, all I have is a 25' length of optical cable lol. Don't laugh, but it's all I have.
I STILL can hear the improvements.
More minute details emerging from a blacker background. MORE separation of instruments. It's quite remarkable what the Hermes does, IMO. I can't imagine what the i2s will be like.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for Morpheus for a long time, and since I own DDC Gaia, I wanted to know if that is still good match. I have the experience that Gaia has always been a sound improvement, no matter what DAC is connected to.
The question is if Morpheus is better DAC than my current Holo Spring 3 KTE, which is better than my previous DAC Denafrips Venus II, but not by much. However, I dont know anyone who directly compared Spring 3 to Morpheus.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #409 of 759
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for Morpheos for a long time, and since I own DDC Gaia, I wanted to know if that is still good match. I have the experience that Gaia has always been a sound improvement, no matter what DAC is connected to.
The question is if Morpheus is better DAC than my current Holo Spring 3 KTE, which is better than my previous DAC Denafrips Venus II, but not by much. However, I dont know anyone who directly compared Spring 3 to Morpheus.
Wow. I've never heard the Holo Spring 3 KTE. I only know it by reputation and everything I've heard about it is phenomenal. Unfortunately I have no comparison. From what I understand, your DAC will give stiff competition to most anything out there.
Please let us know.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #410 of 759
Has anyone experienced any crackling or popping sounds through their Denafrips DDC using i2s?
I have no issue via coaxial output and it sounds fantastic. However, the whole reason I got it was to implement the i2s output with my i2s input on my DAC.
I just got my new RJ45 terminated i2s cable today with corresponding pin arrangement and I get severe crackling and popping sounds.
I hope just a bad cable.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #411 of 759
Has anyone experienced any crackling or popping sounds through their Denafrips DDC using i2s?
I have no issue via coaxial output and it sounds fantastic. However, the whole reason I got it was to implement the i2s output with my i2s input on my DAC.
I just got my new RJ45 terminated i2s cable today with corresponding pin arrangement and I get severe crackling and popping sounds.
I hope just a bad cable.
Are you absolutely sure about cable pinout? Exactly this kind of sound produces wrong pinout. Depending on which (wrong) pinout is set, it is no sound or completely distorted sound or this kind of cracks and pops.

Feb 22, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #412 of 759
I hope just a bad cable.
HDMI cables don't change to accomodate pinout differences, they have to be set on the device(s).

I don't know if this is also true of RJ45 cables.

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #413 of 759
HDMI cables don't change to accomodate pinout differences, they have to be set on the device(s).

I don't know if this is also true of RJ45 cables.
I am afraid pinout function works for HDMI only.

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #414 of 759
I am afraid pinout function works for HDMI only.
That's interesting. Does it mean all RJ45 cables should be custom for the devices?

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #416 of 759
Are you absolutely sure about cable pinout? Exactly this kind of sound produces wrong pinout. Depending on which (wrong) pinout is set, it is no sound or completely distorted sound or this kind of cracks and pops.
But if the pinout was incorrect wouldn't that happen consistently, all the time? You may be right I'm just throwing ideas out. I had the cable specifically made for component a going into component b. But that's not a guarantee that the person making that cable did the perfect job.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #417 of 759
However, the whole reason I got it was to implement the i2s output with my i2s input on my DAC.
HDMI output use LVDS signaling (the same as true HDMI). Terminating the other side with RJ45 can damage LVDS drivers, as voltage levels are higher. It is why you get cracking sound. You need a voltage converter on the RJ45 DAC input.

Feb 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #418 of 759
I hope just a bad cable.

RJ45 sounds really, really good, but it's problematic because you must use an extremely short length if you are going to use RJ45.

I ran Sablon 2020 RJ45 in 1 meter between my Gaia and Terminator Plus. It worked very well (fantastic sound quality) for a little while but then after about a week I got the noise you described. If you are going to use RJ45, Alvin recommends no longer than 15centimeters. I am almost positive your issues are related to your RJ45 use.. it is not the cable, but the length of the cable that is the issue.

15 centimeters is obviously very short and creates physical setup problems for most users. Try a generic HDMI for I2S instead and see what happens.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #420 of 759
RJ45 sounds really, really good, but it's problematic because you must use an extremely short length if you are going to use RJ45.

I ran Sablon 2020 RJ45 in 1 meter between my Gaia and Terminator Plus. It worked very well (fantastic sound quality) for a little while but then after about a week I got the noise you described. If you are going to use RJ45, Alvin recommends no longer than 15centimeters. I am almost positive your issues are related to your RJ45 use.. it is not the cable, but the length of the cable that is the issue.

15 centimeters is obviously very short and creates physical setup problems for most users. Try a generic HDMI for I2S instead and see what happens.
My DAC only has RJ45 so I'm forced to use that if I want i2s.
My Cardas Clear Network cable is 0.5m.
The Hermes is on top on the Morpheus so technically I COULD use 15cm.
The manufacturer is sending me another identical cable which he says has been working flawlessly in his system.

DAMN RJ45.
Why Cees?.......Wwwhhhyyy???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back