New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #376 of 760
I'm getting a Denafrips Iris digital to digital converter for conversion of my source USB to AES/EBU into my Yggy DAC. The Iris will sit right on top of the Yggy, so the minimum AES/EBU cable length physically needed is only 15" or a little less. Has anybody experimented with different lengths of AES or SPDIF coaxial digital cable? The received "expert" opinion on this is that this cable needs to be a minimum of 5 ft. or so as to minimize timing jitter due to internal reflections. So the claim is that a long cable is still needed even for a very short physical digital interface. I would think that the reduction in timing jitter would be a tradeoff against the corresponding increase in other distortions due to the longer cable length such as increased total distortion due to imperfect dielectric, conductor composition, form, finish and dimensions, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #377 of 760
The received "expert" opinion on this is that this cable needs to be a minimum of 5 ft. or so as to minimize timing jitter due to internal reflections.

I've heard that too. Also FWIW a similar thing regarding fiber optic network cables (my day job, sort of). But I've never noticed any problems in practice with digital cables, although I wouldn't buy one shorter than 2 feet or .75 meters.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #378 of 760
I'm getting a Denafrips Iris digital to digital converter for conversion of my source USB to AES/EBU into my Yggy DAC. The Iris will sit right on top of the Yggy, so the minimum AES/EBU cable length physically needed is only 15" or a little less. Has anybody experimented with different lengths of AES or SPDIF coaxial digital cable? The received "expert" opinion on this is that this cable needs to be a minimum of 5 ft. or so as to minimize timing jitter due to internal reflections. So the claim is that a long cable is still needed even for a very short physical digital interface. I would think that the reduction in timing jitter would be a tradeoff against the corresponding increase in other distortions due to the longer cable length such as increased total distortion due to imperfect dielectric, conductor composition, form, finish and dimensions, etc.
I have no idea, but in the video world (eg Lumagen and HDMI to projectors) the length of HDMI cables should be more than 3 or 6 feet.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #380 of 760
I guess I would look at it this way: for the same amount of money I think you are better off with a shorter higher quality cable rather than an "optimal length" cable that is lower quality.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #381 of 760
Very nice.

I like the Pioneer (and Burson) lack of knob near the (XLR, etc) headphone plug ins.
Why two Oppos?
Love Oppo HA-1 so much, actually I have 3 of them (one is black) :))

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #382 of 760
Have always loved the look of Denafrips’s black aluminum products. The BIC500 would fit perfect at the bottom. 👀

Attachments

• 1F028D83-2764-41D0-8DFD-3B58D951107A.jpeg
    1F028D83-2764-41D0-8DFD-3B58D951107A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 60369A51-F927-4127-8A1E-2AC924C3B3EB.jpeg
    60369A51-F927-4127-8A1E-2AC924C3B3EB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #383 of 760
Ok, can someone please, PLEASE help me out here...
I contacted Vineshine and they basically gave me no help. I've asked this on two other forums and got no answers. I think you guys are my last hope...

I received my new Hermes yesterday and when I feed it a USB signal, it doesn't send anything via either coax or optical. These are my only two options at the moment because I'm currently waiting for my i2s cable which terminated in RJ45 because that's what my DAC accepts.

I have a Mac which Denafrips says no driver is required. I believe the handshake between my Mac and the Hermes is good because on my "system preferences" screen, it shows Denafrips Hermes USB v3.12.
However, with the only other two cables I have to use which are coax and optical, the signal doesn't go to my DAC which is a Sonnet Morpheus. When the Morpheus doesn't receive a signal on chosen input, the screen reads, "No Data" and this is what is shown every time I select either optical or coax depending on the cable being used at that time.

So, if the handshake is happening between the computer and Hermes, then why isn't the Hermes outputting a signal to my DAC? I would understand that maybe the pin arrangement isn't correct if I was using i2s but this is with coax and/or optical. So what's going on here.

I'm losing my mind.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #384 of 760
Ok, can someone please, PLEASE help me out here...
I contacted Vineshine and they basically gave me no help. I've asked this on two other forums and got no answers. I think you guys are my last hope...

I received my new Hermes yesterday and when I feed it a USB signal, it doesn't send anything via either coax or optical. These are my only two options at the moment because I'm currently waiting for my i2s cable which terminated in RJ45 because that's what my DAC accepts.

I have a Mac which Denafrips says no driver is required. I believe the handshake between my Mac and the Hermes is good because on my "system preferences" screen, it shows Denafrips Hermes USB v3.12.
However, with the only other two cables I have to use which are coax and optical, the signal doesn't go to my DAC which is a Sonnet Morpheus. When the Morpheus doesn't receive a signal on chosen input, the screen reads, "No Data" and this is what is shown every time I select either optical or coax depending on the cable being used at that time.

So, if the handshake is happening between the computer and Hermes, then why isn't the Hermes outputting a signal to my DAC? I would understand that maybe the pin arrangement isn't correct if I was using i2s but this is with coax and/or optical. So what's going on here.

I'm losing my mind.
have you checked MIDI settings on the Mac? Sometimes weird things happen there, like volume is off. Always try different power up sequences too. DAC on, then reboot Mac is my suggestion.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #385 of 760
have you checked MIDI settings on the Mac? Sometimes weird things happen there, like volume is off. Always try different power up sequences too. DAC on, then reboot Mac is my suggestion.
!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

Yes, it was a Midi issue. For some reason, when connecting to the Denafrips Hermes, the Midi changed to 1.563 MHz or 1563000 Hz. I had to select 44100 and then BAMM! Music.
I just have to wait for my i2s cable but the problem is fixed.

I can't thank you enough. Thank God for these forums.
I'm going to open a bottle of wine now and toast you.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #386 of 760
!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

Yes, it was a Midi issue. For some reason, when connecting to the Denafrips Hermes, the Midi changed to 1.563 MHz or 1563000 Hz. I had to select 44100 and then BAMM! Music.
I just have to wait for my i2s cable but the problem is fixed.

I can't thank you enough. Thank God for these forums.
I'm going to open a bottle of wine now and toast you.
You can move the MIDI up now until you lose signal. Then step one down.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #387 of 760
You can move the MIDI up now until you lose signal. Then step one down.
Even though all of my music is 44.1?
I have no hirez music. Everything is rebook and my DAC is NOS

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #389 of 760
Have always loved the look of Denafrips’s black aluminum products. The BIC500 would fit perfect at the bottom. 👀
I was on the fence for a bit but after seeing your post I’m glad I ordered my Pontus II in black. Sick setup.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #390 of 760
My system is silver so the black Hermes makes me a little uncomfortable.
All silver or all black... No mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back