New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Mar 3, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #436 of 760
I guess I'm at the stage in my audiophile journey where I question the real world value of all the USB re-clockers/DDC components out there.

I find DDC devices most useful as digital preamplifiers that let you connect one source to a variety of outputs or multiple sources to one output.

If one of my sources puts out a good signal, I don't think it's possible to help make it "better" through a DDC. I own a ton of DDC peripherals/USB reclockers/de-jitter-izers from iFi Audio, Singxer, Denafrips, Audioquest, Holo Audio, and others. While inserting them into my audio chain definitely makes the end result sound different, I don't find the change in sound to be "better" by a significant amount. If I'm looking to fine-tune the sound, meaning a more focused or relaxed presentation, then yes, those peripherals help with that, but I think all of my audio sources are of sufficient quality with up-to-date technology inside that their signals don't need to be made "better."

I think there are use cases where DDC/USB reclockers might help technologically, like with a noisy signal coming from computer-based audio that isn't grounded properly or something, but I haven't experimented enough with my desktop setup to have experience with that.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #437 of 760
I think there are use cases where DDC/USB reclockers might help technologically, like with a noisy signal coming from computer-based audio that isn't grounded properly or something, but I haven't experimented enough with my desktop setup to have experience with that.
You are right. With asynchronous transfers USB reclockers do not work the way they are advertised. It is recently explained by the dCS rep in this post. Such devices can even make things worse if asynchronous clock synchronisation is broken, it frequently happens when galvanic isolators are implemented. James explains that in their implementation jitter is not added on the connection, but it is not always true with USB reclockers. What works, is redirection of ground loops, it sounds better because a cleaner ground potential is feeded to a DAC. This issue is a reason why DDC's, network streamers or even such devices like MScaller improve sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #438 of 760
I picked up an iris and I'm having fun getting it set up and doing some listening. My current chain is usb from my PC to the iris, then coax to my audio mirror tubadour iii se dac. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the i2s working, obviously the pin outs I have on my vanilla standard hdmi cables aren't compatible. I get sound, but it has a strong hiss/distortion to it. I know there is no standard for this, which is frustrating. Can anyone recommend an i2s/hdmi connector cable that would work in this situation?

For example this one is recommended from Alvin: https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Multimediakabel-EXCELSIOR-BlueWater-EBH4.html. I'd hate to purchase a $100 cable and have it not be compatible with the tubadour. Help, wise ones!

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #439 of 760
I picked up an iris and I'm having fun getting it set up and doing some listening. My current chain is usb from my PC to the iris, then coax to my audio mirror tubadour iii se dac. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the i2s working, obviously the pin outs I have on my vanilla standard hdmi cables aren't compatible. I get sound, but it has a strong hiss/distortion to it. I know there is no standard for this, which is frustrating. Can anyone recommend an i2s/hdmi connector cable that would work in this situation?

For example this one is recommended from Alvin: https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/Cable/HiFi-Home/Multimediakabel-EXCELSIOR-BlueWater-EBH4.html. I'd hate to purchase a $100 cable and have it not be compatible with the tubadour. Help, wise ones!
Reach out to Alvin, he’s quick to respond. If you have a Denafrips DAC you can program the pin outs. I’m not sure if that’s an option on the Iris after the last firmware update or not. IIRC even the cable he recommended that you linked needs to be programmed (I bought a Wireworld silver sphere which required programming and I also had to swap L & R channels for DSD). You might have better luck with one of the HDMI cables that is audio only (such as the tubulus) but this is just an educated guess, I’ve got no experience with that cable or anything other than hooking an Iris up to a Pontus.

Here’s the tubulus, but it’s not cheap https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #440 of 760
Reach out to Alvin, he’s quick to respond. If you have a Denafrips DAC you can program the pin outs. I’m not sure if that’s an option on the Iris after the last firmware update or not. IIRC even the cable he recommended that you linked needs to be programmed (I bought a Wireworld silver sphere which required programming and I also had to swap L & R channels for DSD). You might have better luck with one of the HDMI cables that is audio only (such as the tubulus) but this is just an educated guess, I’ve got no experience with that cable or anything other than hooking an Iris up to a Pontus.

Here’s the tubulus, but it’s not cheap https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-argentus-i2s-cable/
I just have the iris, not a denafrips dac, so I'm not aware of the ability to program the pin outs (unless this is possible somehow on the iris). I suppose I could try Alvin again, but when I was considering a pontus ii I reached out twice through the website, and once here with direct PM with a question about latency and never got a reply.

Thanks for the input! :)

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #441 of 760
I just have the iris, not a denafrips dac, so I'm not aware of the ability to program the pin outs (unless this is possible somehow on the iris). I suppose I could try Alvin again, but when I was considering a pontus ii I reached out twice through the website, and once here with direct PM with a question about latency and never got a reply.

Thanks for the input! :)
There was a video I saw where Alvin put in a request to program from the Iris. I just don’t know if it’s implemented or not since I just programmed mine from the Pontus. He requested it for your specific situation so it’s in the works if it’s not already available. If I can find it I’ll link you to it.

I’ve always reached him through the website but
sales@vinshineaudio.com will get you to him as well

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #442 of 760
I have a Denafrips Hermes DDC and a Sonnet Morpheus DAC.
I contacted a reputable cable manufacturer who had a third party make a network cable terminated with RJ45 (because that's the only i2s capability my DAC has). This cable was said to be specific to these particular components. Somehow the pin arrangement was STILL not correct and I was getting fairly loud clicks and pops during playback. I was ready to have him make another cake but then I watched one of Alvin's videos and I changed the pin arrangements via the "setup" button and BAMM, no clicks, no pops. I think they're a total of 8 different arrangements and I just kept going until I found one that worked. The second or third of the 8.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #443 of 760
It is never a bad idea to contact Alvin, but at least according to the manuals you can program the I2S pinout in the Hermes and Gaia but not the Iris. The actual I2S pinout is in the manual, so if you know the pinout of your DAC in theory you ought to be able to get custom cable to make them work together. My last email from Vinshine said to use support@vinshinesaudio.com for tech support.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #444 of 760
I did get a response from audio mirror, which was helpful. The tubadour uses the ps audio standard, which I’ve read is what the terminator uses. Are the ares and Pontus different?

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #445 of 760
I did get a response from audio mirror, which was helpful. The tubadour uses the ps audio standard, which I’ve read is what the terminator uses. Are the ares and Pontus different?
I believe the PS Audio Standard is the default option (first option when you go to program it but there would be various options you can cycle through) on all Denafrips devices, I tried to ask Alvin about it but didn't get a clear answer.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #446 of 760
I believe the PS Audio Standard is the default option (first option when you go to program it but there would be various options you can cycle through) on all Denafrips devices, I tried to ask Alvin about it but didn't get a clear answer.
I received a reply back from vinshine at last. They let me know that "You are right, PS audio and Denafrips by default do not have the same I2S pin configuration."

Since the iris is not reprogrammable, it will not be compatible with PS Audio standard. Bummer. Probably best to let people be aware of this if they plan to use the iris with other dacs; the i2s won't work.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #447 of 760
I received a reply back from vinshine at last. They let me know that "You are right, PS audio and Denafrips by default do not have the same I2S pin configuration."

Since the iris is not reprogrammable, it will not be compatible with PS Audio standard. Bummer. Probably best to let people be aware of this if they plan to use the iris with other dacs; the i2s won't work.
Damn that sucks. Time to upgrade to a Hermes? (I’m half joking but I’m sure Alvin would let you trade it in or you could always sell it if you wanted to go that route, if I2S is important to you. I know it made a difference in my system but I’m using a Mac Mini as a source. If you have a streamer already the benefit is going to noticeably less)

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #448 of 760
Damn that sucks. Time to upgrade to a Hermes? (I’m half joking but I’m sure Alvin would let you trade it in or you could always sell it if you wanted to go that route, if I2S is important to you. I know it made a difference in my system but I’m using a Mac Mini as a source. If you have a streamer already the benefit is going to noticeably less)
There is pretty much zero chance of that. My experience so far has been pretty bad.

Did you notice a difference from coax cable to i2s? I run from a PC, which is why I thought the iris would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #449 of 760
There is pretty much zero chance of that. My experience so far has been pretty bad.

Did you notice a difference from coax cable to i2s? I run from a PC, which is why I thought the iris would be a good idea.
If I2s is not an option, then give aes a try. I have tried the I2s and aes of my hermes DDC and cant really tell that much of a difference. Maybe the I2s is a tad bit more resolving but that just could be placebo. The Iris is a good DDC. Which dac are you trying to run off it?

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #450 of 760
If it is a pin assignment difference, you can always make custom HDMI cable to get Iris working with I2S. Alvin should offer one, just an idea. Otherwise DI-20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back