New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #316 of 759
Hi,
My dac is nagra HD dac, which has a i2s (rj45) but I cant find any more information about it, other than the manual says the i2s is “nagra standard”.
The Gaia has i2s rj45 LVCMOS standard.
Anyone pls advise if Gaia i2s is compatible to the Nagara?

My advice would be to contact Vinshine Audio. I know you can change the pinout of the HDMI I2S interface, but not sure if it works the same for RJ45.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #317 of 759
I2S over RJ45 is typically LVCMOS which is similar to TTL. Therefore it is safe to try. Pin-out can be different (like with HDMI) and it is always wise to get more information before trying.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #318 of 759
@sajunky is correct (edit: I see @Jacky5555 also noted this). The I2S over RJ45 for the Denafrips DDC's is LVCMOS. I2S over HDMI is LVDS (low voltage differential signaling).

LVCMOS is very sensitive to noise and the RJ45 cable must be extremely short or you will encounter static-like noise. We are talking 30 cm or less. Ask me how I know :scream: Of course, no harm in giving it a try.

LVCMOS sounded very nice to me, until the noise crept in. Just go with HDMI. No noise and also sounds very good- a slightly different sound than LVCMOS, but it would be down to personal preferences and system matching.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #320 of 759
@Jacky5555 I will be interested to hear what Alvin at Vinshine says. My experience was Denafrips Gaia to Denafrips Terminator Plus. It is possible you may not encounter issues going from Gaia to your Nagra DAC.

The other thing I forgot to mention- I was using a 1-meter Sablon 2020 Ethernet cable. It worked fine for some period of time (I think it was at least a week or so?), and then the static noise crept in and went from subtle to louder. I didn't experiment much after that and went with HDMI. I probably should have experimented a bit but because HDMI was a possibility I didn't.

I have encountered some similar (minor) static issues with using "audiophile" HDMI cables in my other audio system. No issues at all when using a generic HDMI.

Later I experimented more with my audiophile HDMI cables and eventually I solved the static problem. Once by playing with pinout settings and one other time by just powering off the DAC and DDC. Some "audiophile" HDMI cables are more prone to issues than generic ones.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #321 of 759
In addition to what @BlakeT says, I want to add that there are I2S to HDMI converters like this and in reverse. I can't comment on this particular device, I think it should draw a power from somewhere, otherwise a passive conversion is useless. If you find a device with an active conversion, it will allow a longer HDMI cable. Still a distance is an issue, the optimal HDMI cable lenght is 0.5m. If your system is a high transparency, you should target such lenght. It also matches an optimum placement of a DDC, it should be as close as possible to a DAC.

If your source is at a distance, I would suggest a network streamer. With a good streamer (taking care of ground loops noise) you don't really need DDC. Feed your DAC from USB, it feature asynchronous USB transfers (a custom design based on the Amanero chip).

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #322 of 759
Does anyone know if its possible to connect two dacs to the Hermes simultaneously? Right now I have the hermes hooked up to my Pontus 2 using I2S and was wondering if i can use then AES output of the Hermes to connect to another dac like BF2 or Yggy?

Thanks

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #323 of 759
Multple DAC.png

Absolutely. :slight_smile:
The digital outputs are active simultaneously. You may connect multiple DACs to the DENAFRIPS DDC.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #324 of 759
Multple DAC.png

The digital outputs are active simultaneously. You may connect multiple DACs to the DENAFRIPS DDC.
I was using my IRIS today to feed two DACs: XLR to AudioByte BlackDragon to MartinLogan 700 subwoofer, and Coax adapted to BNC to Emperical Sychro-Mesh to Audial Aya 3 to Emerald Physics EP-100.2 SE to Dahlquist DQ-20i phased array speakers. It was loud and engaging and resolved.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #325 of 759
Multple DAC.png

I have a Node 2021...so I must buy Hermes for spdif INPUT and than go from Hermes to Spdif input on my Ares II ? Hmm...
Maybe Node 2021 will be updated soon, so I can try USB out ...then Iris will be enough.

regards,
Simon

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #326 of 759
I have a Node 2021...so I must buy Hermes for spdif INPUT and than go from Hermes to Spdif input on my Ares II ? Hmm...
Maybe Node 2021 will be updated soon, so I can try USB out ...then Iris will be enough.

regards,
Simon

JMO but I would consider upgrading your DAC to one with I2S input before spending money on a DDC.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #327 of 759
Multple DAC.png

Thanks @alvin1118 for the clarification. For future reference, if i want to connnect another dac besides my pontus II (I2S) to the Hermes, such as a YGGDRASIL using the AES, you think it would work? Does the Hermes add any coloration to the sound? Its magical when i use it with my Pontus II but was wondering if it would modify the sound anymore other than just making everything clean and clear.

Thank you

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #329 of 759
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #330 of 759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back