New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #286 of 760
I read it the same way. He means his computer or player doesn’t have i2S output. To get an i2S path to his DAC, he used an SU-1 and wants a Denafrips to swap in now.
Thanks for interpreting my garbled post! You're right, that's what I meant. Words are hard. :darthsmile:

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #289 of 760
For those of you that are using either the IRIS or HERMES with their denafrips dac, is it just plug and play? Do you just connect the usb to the DDC and then the DDC to the DAC using a HDMI cable? or is there some tinkering involved to make it work? Any help would be welcome.

I am thinking about ordering a hermes DDC after dropping $1800 for a Pontus 2 so i need to figure out the cable and connectivity needed to make it work.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #290 of 760
All DDC I know are plug & play. You may need to select a source input, at least the first time.
You don't have to have Denafrips DDC. Compatibility problems with different makes are restricted to a different pin assignment of HDMI connector, easy to overcome.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #292 of 760
I would suggest reading the manuals and checking out the videos of the Gaia on the Denafrips site. You may need to set the "clock in" on the DDC and I2S pinout on your DAC. It isn't hard but I just received my Gaia a couple days ago and it wasn't exactly plug and play out of the box, and I believe the Iris and Hermes are similar. It is easy, but it is a thing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #293 of 760
Can I just use any good brand HDMI cable if I wanna connect denafrips ddc to a denafrips pontus 2 dac? I keep seeing theres a clock in feature with this dac which requires 2 additional cable. I can really use any insight regarding connecting this DDC to my Pontus 2 dac

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #294 of 760
Can I just use any good brand HDMI cable if I wanna connect denafrips ddc to a denafrips pontus 2 dac? I keep seeing theres a clock in feature with this dac which requires 2 additional cable. I can really use any insight regarding connecting this DDC to my Pontus 2 dac
Suggest you do what I did and email Alvin who will step you through the set up. He also has YouTube videos showing how to do it.
The clock in feature is only for the Terminator Plus. You have to turn it off.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #295 of 760
Yes, you can absolutely connect with only a HDMI cable. You just need to ensure the DDC is configured with "clock in" off. Using the clock from the DAC is bonus but not necessary.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #296 of 760
Just ordered my Hermes to pair with my Pontus 2. Cant wait to find out what kind of sonic improvement this will add to my setup.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #297 of 760
I just received my Hermes DDC and I hooked it up to my Pontus 2 dac using HDMI (I2S) cable, It sounds wonderful however, the Left and Right channels are swapped. It happends in every track, movies and games that i play. I checked the cables from the back of the DAC to my Elise OTL amp and the Left and right channels are connected the right way but i am getting opposite sounds, can anyone please help me.

Thank you

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #298 of 760
I just received my Hermes DDC and I hooked it up to my Pontus 2 dac using HDMI (I2S) cable, It sounds wonderful however, the Left and Right channels are swapped. It happends in every track, movies and games that i play. I checked the cables from the back of the DAC to my Elise OTL amp and the Left and right channels are connected the right way but i am getting opposite sounds, can anyone please help me.

Thank you

U need to change the i2s settings on the hermes.

The following is from Alvin @ Vinshine.

Hermes & Gaia DDC - i2s pinout configuration:

1. Connect the i2s cable
2. Turn down the volume (minimal)
3. Play a familiar music (PCM first, follow by DSD)
4. Run through the i2s setting 000-111

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #299 of 760
U need to change the i2s settings on the hermes.

The following is from Alvin @ Vinshine.

Hermes & Gaia DDC - i2s pinout configuration:

1. Connect the i2s cable
2. Turn down the volume (minimal)
3. Play a familiar music (PCM first, follow by DSD)
4. Run through the i2s setting 000-111

Bro that did the trick. OMG thank you so much. I appreciate it. You just saved me from definite panic attack and unwanted anxiety

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #300 of 760
Do you guys turn off your Hermes when not in use? If so, how do you turn it off. I don't see any power button. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back