New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
May 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #271 of 759
Wow.. that is some nice "stack"... I am scared to listen to an Element X because I feel like out of everything in the market, it is the only device so far that I'm sure could replace my desktop setup. Which cans are plugged in?

And could you comment on the difference that the Gaia made? I run a Gustard X26pro into a Singxer SA-1 and do use Tidal for MQA but am becoming tired of it: the app is clunky, it doesn't play nice with Carplay when I do use it in the car, and we all now know MQA is BS. Meaning that I don't really care if I lose MQA capability, I still love this DAC.
Thanks for the kind word.

The X was my top choice for the price range I could afford and the requirements I had (streamer/DAC/headphone amp all-in-one), and I am more than happy with my purchase. Recently brought it to a show room and compared it to a twice as expensive TOTL r2r DAC, I wouldn't say the X won, but the presentations I heard that day was every bit as enjoyable and comparable to the r2r flagship DAC at twice the price. Measurement wise you can reference ASR website, and as far as I can tell, SOTA. My only full size cans is a pair of Meze Empyrean, liquid and lovely, to me the X has no problem driving them to levels satisfactory to me, usually around -15 on low gain in a quiet room.

With the GAIA the main difference TO ME is quieter/blacker background, a more liquid presentation and at the same time I notice I can turn the music up a notch too without feeling any kind of fatigue. One thing about the element X is that only USB connection works with MQA, and now that I am connecting the GAIA to the X via i2s, I am not getting full MQA decode and rendering that the X can do, but then again I don't miss it much, on MQA only Tidal material, I just turn on Roon's MQA Core decoder, which has a max 24/96 limit, I am totally fine with that.

The Matrix Audio app according to some users are buggy though, I wouldn't know as I use Roon exclusively, all I can tell you X works absolutely flawlessly with Roon.

Not sure if it is helpful to you, cheers.

May 21, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #272 of 759
Thanks for the kind word.

The X was my top choice for the price range I could afford and the requirements I had (streamer/DAC/headphone amp all-in-one), and I am more than happy with my purchase. Recently brought it to a show room and compared it to a twice as expensive TOTL r2r DAC, I wouldn't say the X won, but the presentations I heard that day was every bit as enjoyable and comparable to the r2r flagship DAC at twice the price. Measurement wise you can reference ASR website, and as far as I can tell, SOTA. My only full size cans is a pair of Meze Empyrean, liquid and lovely, to me the X has no problem driving them to levels satisfactory to me, usually around -15 on low gain in a quiet room.

With the GAIA the main difference TO ME is quieter/blacker background, a more liquid presentation and at the same time I notice I can turn the music up a notch too without feeling any kind of fatigue. One thing about the element X is that only USB connection works with MQA, and now that I am connecting the GAIA to the X via i2s, I am not getting full MQA decode and rendering that the X can do, but then again I don't miss it much, on MQA only Tidal material, I just turn on Roon's MQA Core decoder, which has a max 24/96 limit, I am totally fine with that.

The Matrix Audio app according to some users are buggy though, I wouldn't know as I use Roon exclusively, all I can tell you X works absolutely flawlessly with Roon.

Not sure if it is helpful to you, cheers.
Thank you kindly for the detailed explanation and yes as much as I don’t care about Tidal like I did when I got an MQA-enabled DAC, I suppose it would be unfortunate to lose it. However one major thing I noticed when upgrading past entry level gear is that all music sounds pretty good now.. I am listening PC->Gustard X26pro->Singxer SA-1 with Focal Elegia, Aeon Open X, Audeze LCD-XC, and have a set of Stabilized ZMF Aeolus on the way. I can’t say I find the quality lacking but if there is a noticeable gain to be had, especially with its little brother the Iris, I’m all ears.

May 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #273 of 759
Thank you kindly for the detailed explanation and yes as much as I don’t care about Tidal like I did when I got an MQA-enabled DAC, I suppose it would be unfortunate to lose it. However one major thing I noticed when upgrading past entry level gear is that all music sounds pretty good now.. I am listening PC->Gustard X26pro->Singxer SA-1 with Focal Elegia, Aeon Open X, Audeze LCD-XC, and have a set of Stabilized ZMF Aeolus on the way. I can’t say I find the quality lacking but if there is a noticeable gain to be had, especially with its little brother the Iris, I’m all ears.
I can still use full MQA decode if wanted on the X, just have to forgo the GAIA and switch input source from i2s to network, which also routes signal through the X's XMOS processor.

Hope you find what you want, enjoy the music :)

May 22, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #274 of 759
Have the Iris feeding the Sonett Morpheus with I2S RJ45. Furutech GT2 Pro USB, Phasure custom I2S RJ45 cable. The Iris is great with DAC's that like tuning. (Schiit DAC's doesn't play well with this). The Iris is a steal at their price. Very happy purchase.

May 25, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #276 of 759
I got my Terminator2 a week ago, I guess I need to be in this thread too cuz I see a Gaia in my future...
Not good, maybe you should wait till burn in is completed...

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #278 of 759
On Alvin's recommendation, got the Hermes over the Gaia. Just received it today and plugged it in.
Still early.. running it in.. but so far, i2s (Pink Faun) sounds better than aes/ebu (Synergistic Research) into the Rockna Wavelight. Denser vocals, thicker mids and mid bass, and better bass weight and punch. Very nice black background on both though.

20210605_165917.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #279 of 759
Alvin sent me a YouTube link to configure the i2s pinout on the Hermes.

After some testing, using L R center channel test track, settled on the following as sounding the best to me.

Hermes DDC pinout 000
Wavelight i2s mode 3

Center image is strongest and most distinct with the above, and with mode 3 keeps the LR channels correct when swapping between pcm/dsd.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #280 of 759
HI,

I just received my Pontus 2 and was thinking about getting a DDC, most likely a hermes. Can anyone plz guide me through the setup? Currently, i have it hooked up to my pc with audioquest carbon usb cable. What cable do i need? Would adding a DDC improve the sound quality? All of my equipment are powered through a Furman power conditioner.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #281 of 759
Congrats @shafat777!

Vinshine's YouTube channel has helpful setup videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQcv3_vh9k7cM_zGGn1mTXw

Regarding the use of a DDC, I don't have the Pontus but my sense from reading many impressions of other Denafrips DAC users is, the majority seem to prefer I2S input, although USB is still very good and a few prefer it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #282 of 759
I will be joining this group soon with a Gaia. As my source doesn't have a direct I2S out, I currently use a Singxer SU-1 KTE DDC to convert its USB output to I2S for my DAC, but I'm convinced the Singxer is bright-sounding. I'm hoping that replacing the Singxer with a Gaia will make the sound more neutral or maybe even a little more relaxed.
[Edited for clarity]

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #283 of 759
I have a Kitsune SU-2. I love it. I also just got a secondhand Denafrips IRIS for my basement system. It pumps good sound through S/PDIF to my new-to-me Audiobyte Black Dragon DAC. The AES path has some pops and crackles. The HDMI is silent with a budget HDMI cable and a Pangea Premier SE 0.6m HDMI cable. I am working with Pine Tree Audio to build a custom cable that I can try various pinout configurations for the DAC end.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #284 of 759
I will be joining this group soon with a Gaia. As my source doesn't have I2S out, I need a conversion box. I have been using a Singxer SU-1 KTE DDC and I'm convinced it's bright-sounding. I'm hoping adding the Gaia will make the sound more neutral or maybe even a little more relaxed.
The source does not need to have i2s out. The Gaia converts whatever input signal to i2s. It is the DAC that needs an i2s input to take the i2s feed from the Gaia.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #285 of 759
The source does not need to have i2s out. The Gaia converts whatever input signal to i2s. It is the DAC that needs an i2s input to take the i2s feed from the Gaia.
I read it the same way. He means his computer or player doesn’t have i2S output. To get an i2S path to his DAC, he used an SU-1 and wants a Denafrips to swap in now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back