New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Oct 27, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #181 of 759
So is the Iris better than the SU-6 in sound ? Is deciding between the two.. read somewhere on the forum that some say DI20 is better than SU6 and that Iris is equal and better than DI20?
Actually my DI20HE is upgraded from Matrix, not on same level of course. Recent multiple FPGA FW provides options of sound, really happy with my PS DAC S.
(I stumbled here for the I2s cable talk)
I heard one of my freind just got Gaia.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #182 of 759
Alvin @ Vinshine has kindly loaned me the Denafrips Gaia for home demo.

There was some initial concern due to i2s port pinout configuration, but can confirm, the Gaia is able to work with the Rockna Wavelight Dac using the i2s connection.

Pics playing both pcm and DSD via i2s.

20201211_222048.jpg20201211_222138.jpg

I will be comparing with my own su-6 + farad lps. Size difference of the su-6 vs gaia is considerable. Gaia is indeed a hefty and solid piece of work. The su-6 is the small black box behind the Gaia.

20201212_063934.jpg
20201212_063952.jpg

Had some trouble achieving a signal lock but I have come up with a cable sequence that has given me consistent results.

When switching DDCs:
Stop music
Insert USB into gaia
Insert i2s into gaia
Play music

If I put the i2s in first, I often do not get a signal lock. Also, I can almost never get a lock with my dac if a coaxial spdif cable is plugged into the gaia the same time as the i2s. (perhaps this maybe a dac issue).

O̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶c̶u̶l̶i̶a̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶c̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶i̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶D̶S̶D̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶a̶i̶a̶ ̶D̶S̶D̶ ̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶e̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶s̶d̶2̶5̶6̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶1̶7̶2̶.̶6̶k̶h̶z̶.̶

So far I must say the differences between gaia and su-6 are quite small. I will report back in again after more listening.

*edit

I misread the led lights.
172.6khz on the gaia corresponds to dsd256. So the lights are correct.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #183 of 759
@Roasty that is a pretty slick way of hiding the cables for a more aesthetically pleasing rack of gear. Are those pieces of painted cardboard or wood or something else?

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #184 of 759
@Roasty that is a pretty slick way of hiding the cables for a more aesthetically pleasing rack of gear. Are those pieces of painted cardboard or wood or something else?

Hey thanks man.
Just large pieces of matte black plastic corrugated boards which were cut out to size and to accommodate the shapes of the components. They're cheap too about USD8 for three boards of 50x75cm. Yea I don't like looking at the wires behind, especially as it's in direct sight from where I sit on the couch. Also doubles to reduce dust getting into the cabinet.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #185 of 759
i think there are only a few of these boutique i2s cable manufacturers out there?

Phasure
RAL
Tubulus
Pink Faun

other i2s options are the usual hdmi cables from audioquest, wireworld etc or even the generic hdmi cables u can get anywhere.
now that @BlakeT will be getting a replacement RAL (and can compare it to Tubulus), and since i prefer the Tubulus over the Phasure, and assuming we all have exactly the same ears and listening tastes (LOL), the next logical step is you should get the Tubulus and Pink Faun and let us know which you prefer. then we can have a ranking of the four listed above!
Don't forget the Godfather, the PS Audio PerfectWave 12 i2S HDMI cable. Solid core silver conductors and made especially for the digital audio over i2S format they pioneered in bringing outside the CD player to digital transports.

I also have my eyes on the other specialty cables you mentioned and I can't honestly say anything about how "audio purist" the PS Audio cable really is, but it has been a main stay across my i2S sources for 5-6 years now and I've tried quite a few cables and sources.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #187 of 759
@Roasty How did the Gaia compare to the SU-6 in your system?

I had the loaner for a couple of weeks and just recently returned it to Alvin at Vinshine. Decided not to order the Gaia. Couldn't justify adding another box or replacing the su-6; the differences are there, but they are indeed very small.

I felt the gaia had better detail retrieval and a slightly stronger central image. Soundstage is also a little wider, but not deeper. SU-6 is comparatively a little warmer/darker and the vocals are not as glossy/glistening. SU-6 has a bit more weight to the mids and bass.

Only listing out the differences I could make out. Super subtle and really had to listen hard and scrutinise the music. I was hoping for more of a night/day difference, but I'm guessing the Gaia may be underperforming; it probably shines the most with clock inputs from the terminator plus (?).

Also I think in my system, the su-6 works well with the Rockna dac, smoothening out the dac presentation.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #188 of 759
Ah, I guess the SU-6 held it's own against the Gaia in a non-denafrips setting. I'm hoping that a denafrips DDC will help in my non-DDC, non-Denafrips system (ygg a2). I've just been using USB but would like to see if a DDC would help improve my setup in any way.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #189 of 759
Ah, I guess the SU-6 held it's own against the Gaia in a non-denafrips setting. I'm hoping that a denafrips DDC will help in my non-DDC, non-Denafrips system (ygg a2). I've just been using USB but would like to see if a DDC would help improve my setup in any way.

Whichever ddc u end up choosing, the jump to an i2s connection will be a really nice one.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #193 of 759
Thanks for the picture! I've been using mine for the past week or so since I got it. It's been nice. I do feel like I need to get a dac that can receive i2s to get the most out of it. It's currently making a subtle difference for my Ygg A2. Nothing changes in tonality but the timing and naturalness of the music is slightly better.

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #194 of 759
Strange combination of input filters, Meanwell 5V SMPS and a torroidal transformer. Which one is isolated power supply?

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #195 of 759
Thanks for the picture! I've been using mine for the past week or so since I got it. It's been nice. I do feel like I need to get a dac that can receive i2s to get the most out of it. It's currently making a subtle difference for my Ygg A2. Nothing changes in tonality but the timing and naturalness of the music is slightly better.
External clock would help definitely (if only Yggy support it). Alternative brands supporting external clock are expensive. It is why looking for a DAC supporting I2S make a sense. There are much cheaper than Yggy with a pricing starting from $850 Audio GD (R-1), then Musicians (Pegasus), Denafrips (Pontus) in order of increasing cost. All of them support NOS mode, you may like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back