New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #166 of 760
has anyone tried the Gaia with Holo/Rockna dacs? spoke to Alvin and he said there is a chance the Gaia may not work with these two dacs using the i2s interface.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #167 of 760
has anyone tried the Gaia with Holo/Rockna dacs? spoke to Alvin and he said there is a chance the Gaia may not work with these two dacs using the i2s interface.
Perhaps ask the manufacturers for their i2s pinout and compare it to the pinout in the Gaia manual. Unfortunately, the Gaia pinout isn’t user selectable like it is on the Terminator input. I would check with Alvin, but I think reversed polarities for the same signal type on the pinout would still work, but not the wrong signal type altogether. Good luck!

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #168 of 760
Revelation HDMI.jpg

The Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver Reference HDMI showed up today. Let the burn-in begin. I was planning to burn it in on my television for a couple of weeks, then install it in my audio system but it won't work. Apparently it is audio only. Just like my Tubulus Argentus HDMI.
Hope you enjoy the new toy, any impression to share?

Oct 24, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #170 of 760
Hope you enjoy the new toy, any impression to share?

I decided to keep it in the system. I preferred the highs and less forward presentation of the tubulus i2s cable. Phasure has better clarity and transparency though. I'm actually waiting on BlakeT's RAL impressions too!

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #171 of 760
I decided to keep it in the system. I preferred the highs and less forward presentation of the tubulus i2s cable. Phasure has better clarity and transparency though. I'm actually waiting on BlakeT's RAL impressions too!
Thanks mate for that, I totally understand the 'less forward presentation', esp with some audiophile vocal recordings.
Now can't wait for RAL impression

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #172 of 760
Just a quick update.. my RAL had a manufacturing defect and RAL ageed to replace it. I am waiting for my replacement to arrive.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #173 of 760
Thanks mate for that, I totally understand the 'less forward presentation', esp with some audiophile vocal recordings.
Now can't wait for RAL impression

i think there are only a few of these boutique i2s cable manufacturers out there?

Phasure
RAL
Tubulus
Pink Faun

other i2s options are the usual hdmi cables from audioquest, wireworld etc or even the generic hdmi cables u can get anywhere.
now that @BlakeT will be getting a replacement RAL (and can compare it to Tubulus), and since i prefer the Tubulus over the Phasure, and assuming we all have exactly the same ears and listening tastes (LOL), the next logical step is you should get the Tubulus and Pink Faun and let us know which you prefer. then we can have a ranking of the four listed above!

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #174 of 760
i think there are only a few of these boutique i2s cable manufacturers out there?

Phasure
RAL
Tubulus
Pink Faun

other i2s options are the usual hdmi cables from audioquest, wireworld etc or even the generic hdmi cables u can get anywhere.
now that @BlakeT will be getting a replacement RAL (and can compare it to Tubulus), and since i prefer the Tubulus over the Phasure, and assuming we all have exactly the same ears and listening tastes (LOL), the next logical step is you should get the Tubulus and Pink Faun and let us know which you prefer. then we can have a ranking of the four listed above!

Great plan, then we will have them all covered!

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #175 of 760
Actually, sorry. He should get the Pink Faun and RAL. Then we will get a better overall answer!

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #176 of 760
Some google search got me to below online reviews with more I talked to forumners:

"The RAL looks distinctively handmade (i.e. not finished like a high end cable). It is extremely detailed - moreso than even my AES cable from AudioSens. Great upper mids and up. Lots of air. Huge soundstage and great imaging. Clean clean clean sounding cable. However - it's light on the bottom end, and not the most dense/full sound. More.of an introspective/cinematic listen than a toe tapping.
The Tubulus is the opposite. Well built. Not as detailed as my AES cable (3rd place) but great full sounding lower mid range and bass is extremely clean and powerful. Upper mids and highs lack detail and sheen compared to the other 2. Very little air. This cable is still breaking in but generally you can tell the overall sound of the cable early.
Long story short - 2 different cables. If I could combine them both they'd be perfect but as things stand I'm not 100% satisfied with either however the detail on the RAL is addicting."

"I can recommend both RAL and Tubulus. See my post above. RAL for more detail, Tubulus for more bottom end and fullness."

"If I had to pick, the RAL is the winner. The lack of reverb/air/trails around instruments on the Tubulus was a deal breaker for me. I can live with quieter, albeit ultra clean bass, on the RAL in exchange for top notch detail.
Unless your system is already too lean/quick and needs some body, I think the RAL is the best choice."

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #177 of 760
Another HongKong forum about Phasure and Pink Faun with google translate help:

User reckons Phasure "most truthful sounding", better than WWP 7 and AIM silver (1st gen).

Then user ordered Pink Faun, initially sounds quieter, darker background, denser sound than Phasure.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #178 of 760
So is the Iris better than the SU-6 in sound ? Is deciding between the two.. read somewhere on the forum that some say DI20 is better than SU6 and that Iris is equal and better than DI20?

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #179 of 760
So is the Iris better than the SU-6 in sound ? Is deciding between the two.. read somewhere on the forum that some say DI20 is better than SU6 and that Iris is equal and better than DI20?

Wish I could try the denafrips ddc but at the moment it's not compatible with my dac. What dac are u using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back