New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #211 of 759
I was going to use SPDIF or AES. Not I2S... Also, my DAC does NOT support external clock.
Knowing that, do you still believe the DI-20 is superior to Denafrips DDC products? or do you think I will only see an advantage to DI-20 when using I2S?
Embedded clock on the S/PDIF or AES connection is jittery by a nature. If you don't synchronise with an external clock, an advantage of ultra stable DDC clock is a minimal. A difference in clock stability between DDC devices are tarnishing in result. The only benefit comes from ground loops protection: better protection, better sound. R2R DACs are very sensitive to ground loops. DI-20HE will still show an advantage in this respect, as competitors do not have regenerative power supply, but a final benefit will vary from one system to another. Clock stability relation to the sound quality is more predictable. Mathematically predictable.

EDIT: I will add that influence of clock stability on SQ also depends on a DAC PLL parameters. A tight PLL loop will improve internal clock quality, at a risk of losing synchronisation when source clock is not stable enough. It is why in some designs there is a switch for increasing frequency range PLL can achieve a lock on the source. This is on the cost of increased jitter. I don't know whether it is important with modern DDC devices though. It was usefull feature in the past with CD and tape transports.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #212 of 759
Do you own a Yggy A2 and Denafrips DDC? Have you owned a Yggy A2 and tried it with any other quality DDC? I have and my experience says you are 100% wrong. But, glad for you that you enjoy your Audio-gd stuff.

You are making some pretty big claims here and there is zero chance you have personal experience with all these DDC's to claim superiority of the Audio-gd. I have no problem with people hearing things differently and there are always synergies between certain products but you seem to be on here just to troll.
I second your thoughts Blake. All technical lahba lahba without having heard them in action, that too on a Denafrips thread. The audacity. Geez.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #213 of 759
To be clear, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone listens to Product A, compares it to Product B and finds that Product A is better sounding, whereas I like Product B. If someone tries a a $50 Breeze Audio DDC and compares it in their system over a Gaia, Audio-gd, Berkley Alpha or whatever, cool, they just saved a bunch of money.

What does bug me is someone without any personal experience claiming sonic superiority of a certain product over something else, simply based on spec sheets, or technical preferences. The correct response is "I suspect Product A might sound better based on such and such, but since I haven't tried it personally in my system, this is just a guess".

Mixed in with the technical word vomit there were some very telling comments with subtle and not so subtle digs at Denafrips that show he is in this thread simply to stir the pot....... and show off the fact that he has read some articles and is now an expert. Tell me where to buy your product and I'll give it a shot if you think you are so smart, but absent that, and absent personal experience, this is all just grand standing and trollling.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #214 of 759
To be clear, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone listens to Product A, compares it to Product B and finds that Product A is better sounding, whereas I like Product B. If someone tries a a $50 Breeze Audio DDC and compares it in their system over a Gaia, Audio-gd, Berkley Alpha or whatever, cool, they just saved a bunch of money.

What does bug me is someone without any personal experience claiming sonic superiority of a certain product over something else, simply based on spec sheets, or technical preferences. The correct response is "I suspect Product A might sound better based on such and such, but since I haven't tried it personally in my system, this is just a guess".

Mixed in with the technical word vomit there were some very telling comments with subtle and not so subtle digs at Denafrips that show he is in this thread simply to stir the pot....... and show off the fact that he has read some articles and is now an expert. Tell me where to buy your product and I'll give it a shot if you think you are so smart, but absent that, and absent personal experience, this is all just grand standing and trollling.

Spot on reaction Blake! Just wanted to say something similar about correctness of those posts.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #216 of 759
Spot on reaction Blake! Just wanted to say something similar about correctness of those posts.
When criticising correctness of technical explanation, you must point out errors. Some other were not able to point out errors in my posts and had resqued to the personal allegations saying that "he has read some articles and is now an expert". I don't bother to reply to such insults. If such a person can find such articles specific to a subject in support of this claim, I will be happy to join, it will help developing a knowledge. So far I didn't see such article, Everything you heard is based on my technical education and experience, you hear it first time and you are trying to discredit it.

Fair enough? For now you are joining a bully, I wonder why you bother to post, you must have a special reason. You joined a forum in 2015 and it is your first post after a long time of inavtivity. If Denafrips Iris is a special reason, then fine, but your voice must present merits and your reputation is still not developed. How you can build reputation having 6 posts?

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #218 of 759
@sajunky: Don't try to play the victim here. You jumped in this thread and started stirring the pot and you know it. Since you hold yourself in such high esteem (you apparently think you know more about electronics than Denafrips and are not shy about it), what audio products have you designed and sold? Can you point us to some reviews? Talk is cheap.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #219 of 759
For now you are joining a bully, I wonder why you bother to post, you must have a special reason. You joined a forum in 2015 and it is your first post after a long time of inavtivity. If Denafrips Iris is a special reason, then fine, but your voice must present merits and your reputation is still not developed. How you can build reputation having 6 posts?

Wow dude, you really need to get out of the house more. You are scrutinizing koso's history here and making psychotic posts about reputation points? Get a life.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #220 of 759
When criticising correctness of technical explanation, you must point out errors. Some other were not able to point out errors in my posts and had resqued to the personal allegations saying that "he has read some articles and is now an expert". I don't bother to reply to such insults. If such a person can find such articles specific to a subject in support of this claim, I will be happy to join, it will help developing a knowledge. So far I didn't see such article, Everything you heard is based on my technical education and experience, you hear it first time and you are trying to discredit it.

Fair enough? For now you are joining a bully, I wonder why you bother to post, you must have a special reason. You joined a forum in 2015 and it is your first post after a long time of inavtivity. If Denafrips Iris is a special reason, then fine, but your voice must present merits and your reputation is still not developed. How you can build reputation having 6 posts?

I just agreed with Blake. That's the reason “I bothered to post”. And that's all. What does this have to do with the number of my posts? Let everyone make their own conclusion based on how someone writes posts here.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #221 of 759
@sajunky: Don't try to play the victim here. You jumped in this thread and started stirring the pot and you know it.
Whathever it is it doesn't entitle you for personal remarks about my education, whatether. Attack the merits, not the messenger. Find something to oppose my findings, then come back we can talk. Activating a dormant or a secondary account will not help. Thank you.

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #222 of 759
Whathever it is it doesn't entitle you for personal remarks about my education, whatether. Attack the merits, not the messenger. Find something to oppose my findings, then come back we can talk. Activating a dormant or a secondary account will not help. Thank you.

Wow, conspiracy theories now? :smile: :smile: I love it. Wait, perhaps I am @sajunky and I'm just secretly debating myself? Big Foot is real, Elvis is still alive.

I hereby declare @sajunky the winner.

So now that is resolved, let's get back on topic, namely, finding the hidden I2S input on a Yggy and the absolute superiority of anything Audio-gd.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #223 of 759
Wow, conspiracy theories now? :smile: :smile: I love it. Wait, perhaps I am @sajunky and I'm just secretly debating myself? Big Foot is real, Elvis is still alive.

So now that is resolved, let's get back on topic, namely, finding the hidden I2S input on a Yggy and the absolute superiority of anything Audio-gd.
Is resolved, then we are fine, right? Enjoy music. :)

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #224 of 759

Nice one Blake.

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #225 of 759
So, this is the second time that I've seen someone post that Denafrips uses SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) in their gear. My knowledge on this topic is very limited besides having heard on numerous occasions that SMPS are noisier and less desirable than linear power supplies. That said, Alvin's diagram shows a linear power supply section. Are people misinterpreting the auto 120/240v switching as an SMPS - or maybe that portion is a SMPS and Denafrips blended both technologies for the best of both worlds? Anyone have an idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back