New DAP from HisoundAudio : The Studio 6
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #106 of 344
Interesting thanks. Any comparisons with your m2s? The m2, this and the l&p l3 are my three favorites for next dap. Also any indiction on whether the battery life will actually approach 30 hrs?
I never charged it so far, but have not listened for long. What signature and features do you value?

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #109 of 344
Hi Mimouille,
Nice review.
I'm interested in your comparison between Paw Gold and S6. You mentioned both have a quite similar sound signature- neutral and detail.

What about the soundstage and separation between Paw Gold and S6, which is more superior?
Between Paw Gold and S6, which player has a darker background?

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #110 of 344
I never charged it so far, but have not listened for long. What signature and features do you value?

I don't need any features besides folder navigation (that works) and shuffle. Easily pocketable is a big factor for me and a longer than average battery life is a plus but not a requirement. 

SQ wise I haven't owned enough good sources to know my preferences perfectly but I do know I don't at all like thin, digital, or dull sounding sources (does anyone?). I've stayed away from iBasso products because I've heard they tend in that direction.

The Geekout 450 is the best source I've owned and if I could approach that SQ in a portable I'd be happy. Love the punchiness and the solid but detailed sound. Soundstage is good too. Generally I tend to favor warmth a little but my headphones are a little warm (flare R2Pros) so neutral could work for a source too.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #111 of 344
If the S6 is so close to the Mojo as per Mimouille, it will be definitely the best dap in this price range. I got a short trial of the Mojo (~10 min) and to my expectations it's the best SQ I ever heard below $1000.

I don't need extra features too, and I believe that all bugs from the software can be corrected through FW updates. The best UI so far comes from Fiio and android based devices, but the best SQ always comes from devices that have a lot of flaws in terms of UI.

I was impressed with the S5 3rd annv, even with the flaws I really like the way it sounds. Not to mentioned that it has the best battery life I ever experienced from a dap.

I was going to order either a Shozy Alien or a Colorfly C10, but the S6 catched my curiosity and now I will definitely purchase it.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #113 of 344
Hi Mimouille,
Nice review.
I'm interested in your comparison between Paw Gold and S6. You mentioned both have a quite similar sound signature- neutral and detail.

What about the soundstage and separation between Paw Gold and S6, which is more superior?
Between Paw Gold and S6, which player has a darker background?

This is not a review by far, just my first impressions. I haven't compared with the LPG yet.

I don't need any features besides folder navigation (that works) and shuffle. Easily pocketable is a big factor for me and a longer than average battery life is a plus but not a requirement. 

SQ wise I haven't owned enough good sources to know my preferences perfectly but I do know I don't at all like thin, digital, or dull sounding sources (does anyone?). I've stayed away from iBasso products because I've heard they tend in that direction.

The Geekout 450 is the best source I've owned and if I could approach that SQ in a portable I'd be happy. Love the punchiness and the solid but detailed sound. Soundstage is good too. Generally I tend to favor warmth a little but my headphones are a little warm (flare R2Pros) so neutral could work for a source too.

Well this is one of the best offers in terms of SQ / size I think.

If the S6 is so close to the Mojo as per Mimouille, it will be definitely the best dap in this price range. I got a short trial of the Mojo (~10 min) and to my expectations it's the best SQ I ever heard below $1000.

I don't need extra features too, and I believe that all bugs from the software can be corrected through FW updates. The best UI so far comes from Fiio and android based devices, but the best SQ always comes from devices that have a lot of flaws in terms of UI.

I was impressed with the S5 3rd annv, even with the flaws I really like the way it sounds. Not to mentioned that it has the best battery life I ever experienced from a dap.

I was going to order either a Shozy Alien or a Colorfly C10, but the S6 catched my curiosity and now I will definitely purchase it.

Take these first impressions, which are still preliminary, with a pinch of salt. Differences are small with the Mojo with my iems, but I have just had a short time with it.

Can the S6 create favorites or a playlist on the fly?  I'm afraid if the UI/navigation is identical to that of the Studio series, I'm going pass.

Yes it can, the issue is that at this point you can only add tracks and not whole folders / albums.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #114 of 344
  This is not a review by far, just my first impressions. I haven't compared with the LPG yet.

Well this is one of the best offers in terms of SQ / size I think.

Take these first impressions, which are still preliminary, with a pinch of salt. Differences are small with the Mojo with my iems, but I have just had a short time with it.

Yes it can, the issue is that at this point you can only add tracks and not whole folders / albums.

Is it on the same level as your M2S?

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #115 of 344
when I thought my shipping got lost look what the postman just dropped off!

Holding S6 it feels like I am holding the smaller brother of LPG.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #116 of 344
Whether you play in an album, a playlist or a folder, it seems impossible to play files in the right order. My files are impeccably tagged, and numbered 01, 02, 03, etc. I have tried all options and playmode (I think). So the player is more or less unusabe to listen to an album or several tracks in a row

i an an album guy and don't mind primitive UI but this is unfortunate...

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #117 of 344
  when I thought my shipping got lost look what the postman just dropped off!

Holding S6 it feels like I am holding the smaller brother of LPG.

so how was the SQ? compared to LPG? I know the price is more than double the S6 but is it close to your overall preference of good sound? I just wish they did not put those text in the buttons. your impressions are appreciated.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #118 of 344
Wow, I dont want to get emotional, I am doing my very best but in short a giant killer has just been awaken, and for sound first people this dap will please well the majority of the market. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #119 of 344

so how was the SQ? compared to LPG? I know the price is more than double the S6 but is it close to your overall preference of good sound? I just wish they did not put those text in the buttons. your impressions are appreciated.

Way too early for me to make a definitive impression but based on the first few hours the sound is in no way lacking. What perhaps LPG is able to achieve is better higher frequency presentation but honestly S6 offers 4 different sound which will please so many.

The line out out and headphone out both have A and B mode which change the sound. Lineout provides a software sound in both A/B mode compared to headphone out. Headphone out provides a more vibrant treble, or rather treble is more accentuated in Mode A and in Mode B the sound more balance.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #120 of 344

Is it on the same level as your M2S?

Haven't compared yet.
i an an album guy and don't mind primitive UI but this is unfortunate...

This will be solved I am sure.

Wow, I dont want to get emotional, I am doing my very best but in short a giant killer has just been awaken, and for sound first people this dap will please well the majority of the market. 

Happy to see I am not dreaming this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back