New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #166 of 1,163
I think even our good friend Kendall Roy will be agreeing 99.9% with my post, or maybe 100% after seeing this totally statistically normal reaction (see screenshot).
ha. Tbh I feel like you and Denkmal will probably end up as best mates one day...

It's a shame a lot of these threads seem to be getting acrimonious lately - seems unnecessary especially as we're all ultimately sharing the same hobby/interest! Was just saying everyone can do their bit to calm the tensions down.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #167 of 1,163
ha. Tbh I feel like you and Denkmal will probably end up as best mates one day...

This is extremely improbable. Why? Probably one of several simple reasons is this: Mr Dude Buddy's sense of what is genuinely good humour is VERY different from mine. I think, and I know very well that this will sounding not very popular here, that my humour is have a lot more sophistication...and even politeness than Mr Dude Buddy's. Similarly, and in difference with Mr Dude Buddy, I'm not married with any piece of equipment, so I speaking as objectively as I can doing, often criticising strongly aspects of products I like very much. (one reason why some people that knowing me well have real interest in my opinions)

It's a shame a lot of these threads seem to be getting acrimonious lately - seems unnecessary especially as we're all ultimately sharing the same hobby/interest! Was just saying everyone can do their bit to calm the tensions down.

Yes, is shame, but human nature is human nature, and this is a fact in every aspect of our life. And MASSIVE fanboys will doing anything AND everything for defending 'their baby'...is fact of life. And herd mentality is fact of life too.

-----------------

OK, so that this post isn't contributing even more to the rubbish that we seeing recently in this thread, I will saying that, like always with all headphones I buying and keeping, now I'm testing the iO-12's battery life. The results are coming soon.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #168 of 1,163
Is now 22 Days with the iO-12. I want speaking about several things, but specially about the sound.

First, I will speaking of the negative aspects of the Dalis:

1. In fully passive mode the sound is very clearly not so good like in BT or USB-C modes. The Solitaire T (ST) is the ONLY headphone that providing excellent sound quality in BT, USB-C or fully passive modes.

2. ANC isn't so good (at least so good like the ST, and obviously not so good like the kings of ANC, AirPods Max, Bose QC Ultra or Sony XM5), but I still want testing the iO-12 in real life situation when I taking two flights next month (specially because the ST giving me (and others ST owners) big surprise when I doing this last year. But today, in my tests, the ST is still the best than all premium ANC headphones in the ANC category.

3. The big size of the headphone and carrying case. Yes, the headphone is big (for a ANC headphone, and isn't foldable like the ST that is more small AND even foldable --- all others premium ANC models aren't foldable). Yes, the iO-12 is portable, but people will looking at you possibly more than you want, and the case is occupying more space than ALL others ANC headphones in the market.

Ok, now the positives:

1. The playback buttons are simply FANTASTIC. I saying before that I saying in other thread/s that I'm happy paying 100 EUR extra for this level of experience. Well, I think I will paying even 150 EUR. This is how important this aspect of a BT/ANC headphone is for me. Dali doing the perfect job here. 32 volume steps in iOS/macOS, instant access to changes in volume, and same with play/pause or next/previous track. BUT not only this, but the buttons, in difference with, for example, the Bose QC Ultra, don't making irritating noise when clicking. WONDERFUL.

2. Sound. The sound quality of the iO-12 is just truly excellent.

The tonal balance ---that don't necessarily translating in excellent timbral qualities of sound reproduction--- is simply phenomenal. I think the iO-12's curve is actually more flat/linear/reference/correct than the ST's excellent curve. No offensive/serious dips or peaks and the iO-12 isn't have the Harman curve, and for me is actually more correct than this, in my opinion.

The ST having very tasteful lift in low bass that possibly giving more accurate representation of sound. BUT the Dalis also have very good extension, except that isn't having the lift of the ST and this is why I'm saying is more correct from linear point of view.

The iO-12, in difference with the ST, is depending more on DSP implementation for the very excellent tonal balance, BUT DSP alone can't giving the quality of sound reproduction of the Dalis. And here is where some of the genuine research and development of the iO-12's driver, damping mechanism, etc. are clearly audible for discerning ears. And I must adding that the timbral qualities are first class too.

I mentioning here (and even more in the ST thread) that, for me, reproduction of more high frequencies is the most difficult frequency doing right. After probably about 40 hours with the iO-12 and many different types of songs/genres, the high frequencies reproduction is remarkable, truly excellent.

Yes, people with typical taste for bass-heavy sound will thinking the iO-12, even using the subtle/tasteful 'bass' setting isn't so good, and will saying something like this,"My Sony, Sennheiser, B&W, old Beats model headphone (or even other more cheap bassy sounding model!), is sounding better". But all those others headphones destroying, for example, classical music reproduction, specially when is orchestral, or good masters of 1970's/1980's rock albums. The great thing about a great headphone is that isn't only excellent with classical music but with ALL genres, at least "great" meaning that is genuinely presenting the music as close as is showing in the recording (people don't always liking seeing the reality of a recording, specially in our 'loudness wars' age). The iO-12 is even doing extremely decent job with 'loudness wars' / terrible masters.

But, isn't only the very excellent tonal balance of the iO-12, but a very credible open soundstage, very uncommon for closed-back headphones. I will not saying the typical stadium or similar comparison (places that actually normally having very bad acoustics, by the way). I will only saying is that you having very sufficient space for instruments having great individual space in the sound stage.

3. Multipoint, after my discovery of yesterday, is absolutely fine.

4. I having already 4 long telephone calls with the iO-12 (with people I don't know) and they never complaining about poor sound (or maybe they're polite!) and asking me repeating or saying they can't hearing me well. So, even if not comparing directly with my AirPods Pro 2nd Gen and AirPods 3rd Gen in telephone calls, I know already that I'm confident is working sufficiently/very well.

5. Comfort and head adjustment. The iO-12 is very possibly the first ANC headphone that, after several hours in my head, I don't need adjusting the position...and is, of course very comfortable. Maybe this isn't so important factor for many people but, after 3 weeks and maximum of 4 hours of continuous use 3 -4 times, I'm experiencing how wonderful this is. Even with the great ST I adjusting several times in long sessions, but also with the 5909, Bathys (very constantly!), h95, px8, AirPods Max (very constantly too!, etc.).

6. Accessories. The iO-12 coming with excellent quality construction of the travel case and the cables. The best quality cables are, without doubt, the 5909's, and the 5909's case, even if of very good quality and beautiful design, can having more damage more easily than the iO-12's case. The h95 case is ultra solid but is impractical and scratching easily, and the cables, even if of very good quality, are very stiff. The cables of the ST aren't so good quality like the others, but the Bathys and px8's cables are really very cheap, but this last 3 models (ST, Bathys and px8) having very more practical and portable travel cases even if the quality materials aren't premium like iO-12, 5909 and H95's cases.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #169 of 1,163
Is now 22 Days with the iO-12. I want speaking about several things, but specially about the sound.

1. In fully passive mode the sound is very clearly not so good like in BT or USB-C modes. The Solitaire T (ST) is the ONLY headphone that providing excellent sound quality in BT, USB-C or fully passive modes.

2. ANC isn't so good (at least so good like the ST, and obviously not so good like the kings of ANC, AirPods Max, Bose QC Ultra or Sony XM5), but I still want testing the iO-12 in real life situation when I taking two flights next month (specially because the ST giving me (and others ST owners) big surprise when I doing this last year. But today, in my tests, the ST is still the best than all premium ANC headphones in the ANC category.

3. The big size of the headphone and carrying case. Yes, the headphone is big (for a ANC headphone, and isn't foldable like the ST that is more small AND even foldable --- all others premium ANC models aren't foldable). Yes, the iO-12 is portable, but people will looking at you possibly more than you want, and the case is occupying more space than ALL others ANC headphones in the market.

Ok, now the positives:

1. The playback buttons are simply FANTASTIC. I saying before that I saying in other thread/s that I'm happy paying 100 EUR extra for this level of experience. Well, I think I will paying even 150 EUR. This is how important this aspect of a BT/ANC headphone is for me. Dali doing the perfect job here. 32 volume steps in iOS/macOS, instant access to changes in volume, and same with play/pause or next/previous track. BUT not only this, but the buttons, in difference with, for example, the Bose QC Ultra, don't making irritating noise when clicking. WONDERFUL.

The tonal balance ---that don't necessarily translating in excellent timbral qualities of sound reproduction--- is simply phenomenal. I think the iO-12's curve is actually more flat/linear/reference/correct than the ST's excellent curve. No offensive/serious dips or peaks and the iO-12 isn't have the Harman curve, and for me is actually more correct than this, in my opinion.

The ST having very tasteful lift in low bass that possibly giving more accurate representation of sound. BUT the Dalis also have very good extension, except that isn't having the lift of the ST and this is why I'm saying is more correct from linear point of view.

The iO-12, in difference with the ST, is depending more on DSP implementation for the very excellent tonal balance, BUT DSP alone can't giving the quality of sound reproduction of the Dalis. And here is where some of the genuine research and development of the iO-12's driver, damping mechanism, etc. are clearly audible for discerning ears. And I must adding that the timbral qualities are first class too.

I mentioning here (and even more in the ST thread) that, for me, reproduction of more high frequencies is the most difficult frequency doing right. After probably about 40 hours with the iO-12 and many different types of songs/genres, the high frequencies reproduction is remarkable, truly excellent.

Yes, people with typical taste for bass-heavy sound will thinking the iO-12, even using the subtle/tasteful 'bass' setting isn't so good, and will saying something like this,"My Sony, Sennheiser, B&W, old Beats model headphone (or even other more cheap bassy sounding model!), is sounding better". But all those others headphones destroying, for example, classical music reproduction, specially when is orchestral, or good masters of 1970's/1980's rock albums. The great thing about a great headphone is that isn't only excellent with classical music but with ALL genres, at least "great" meaning that is genuinely presenting the music as close as is showing in the recording (people don't always liking seeing the reality of a recording, specially in our 'loudness wars' age). The iO-12 is even doing extremely decent job with 'loudness wars' / terrible masters.

But, isn't only the very excellent tonal balance of the iO-12, but a very credible open soundstage, very uncommon for closed-back headphones. I will not saying the typical stadium or similar comparison (places that actually normally having very bad acoustics, by the way). I will only saying is that you having very sufficient space for instruments having great individual space in the sound stage.

4. I having already 4 long telephone calls with the iO-12 (with people I don't know) and they never complaining about poor sound (or maybe they're polite!) and asking me repeating or saying they can't hearing me well. So, even if not comparing directly with my AirPods Pro 2nd Gen and AirPods 3rd Gen in telephone calls, I know already that I'm confident is working sufficiently/very well.

5. Comfort and head adjustment. The iO-12 is very possibly the first ANC headphone that, after several hours in my head, I don't need adjusting the position...and is, of course very comfortable. Maybe this isn't so important factor for many people but, after 3 weeks and maximum of 4 hours of continuous use 3 -4 times, I'm experiencing how wonderful this is. Even with the great ST I adjusting several times in long sessions, but also with the 5909, Bathys (very constantly!), h95, px8, AirPods Max (very constantly too!, etc.).

6. Accessories. The iO-12 coming with excellent quality construction of the travel case and the cables. The best quality cables are, without doubt, the 5909's, and the 5909's case, even if of very good quality and beautiful design, can having more damage more easily than the iO-12's case. The h95 case is ultra solid but is impractical and scratching easily, and the cables, even if of very good quality, are very stiff. The cables of the ST aren't so good quality like the others, but the Bathys and px8's cables are really very cheap, but this last 3 models (ST, Bathys and px8) having very more practical and portable travel cases even if the quality materials aren't premium like iO-12, 5909 and H95's cases.
I can't make up my mind about whether I like the design of these headphones or not.

Their design is more interesting than the Solitaire T, no doubt, but there's something that doesn't quite convince me…

Thanks for the review... if you had to choose just only one, ST or IO-12?

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #170 of 1,163

Ok, now the positives:

Of interest is a more detailed description of the bass quality in iO-12, as well as the overall sound quality at low volume settings.
Thank you for the information.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #171 of 1,163

Ok, now the positives:

Excellent impressions @angelom! I have a couple of questions for you. Are you doing most of your listening with ANC On or Off? Are you getting any differences in sound quality between the two?

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #172 of 1,163

Ok, now the positives:

Genuine question because you’ve used these headphones more than anyone else in here, I think… How’s the fatigue level on these? Can you listen to them for a long period of time without being fatigued, either in terms of tone or just wait on your head or how they feel on your ears.

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #173 of 1,163
Excellent impressions @angelom! I have a couple of questions for you. Are you doing most of your listening with ANC On or Off? Are you getting any differences in sound quality between the two?

Good pertinent questions.

I'm using the iO-12 the majority of the time with ANC off, so all my comments about sound quality in my previous post are in this mode. About the differences in sound between ANC off or ANC on, yes, the difference is there, but isn't big like the very big difference in the ML 5909. With ANC on you have a bass boost but isn't strong at all like in the 5909 and some others ANC headphones. The bass boost in the iO-12 is similar like when I'm in ANC off mode and I changing to "bass" mode. So, yes, is clear audible difference but the bass boost isn't strong or so strong that making the iO-12 sounding bad/wrong. For airplane use, specially, this little boost is maybe a good thing because is possibly helping getting better perception of low frequencies in the music.

Thanks for the review... if you had to choose just only one, ST or IO-12?

I already explaining my decision for selling my ST and keeping the iO-12 in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-dali-io-12-anc-headphones-–-impressions-thread.970380/page-8#post-17823083

Of interest is a more detailed description of the bass quality in iO-12, as well as the sound quality at low volume settings.

I'm sorry but I don't understand exactly what you're asking. Maybe you want explaining in different way and asking again?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #174 of 1,163
Good pertinent questions.
I'm sorry but I don't understand exactly what you're asking. Maybe you want explaining in different way and asking again?
Questions:
1) How do you find the bass quality in the iO-12 (could you briefly describe its sound).
2) Does the iO-12's sound quality become worse when used at lower than average volume levels?

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #175 of 1,163
Questions:
1) How do you find the bass quality in the iO-12 (could you briefly describe its sound).
2) Does the iO-12's sound quality become worse when used at lower than average volume levels?

Number 2 is actually a very good question. Ok, in order:

1. The bass quality is excellent. Like I saying already, bass isn't have artificial boost and isn't affecting the midrange at all, BUT low mids have very correct weight. The bass is clean, tight and can becoming fast if is necessary, but not so fast that decay is becoming unnatural (typical of balanced armature drivers).

If a recording/master is have big bass, you having big bass with the iO-12, but not bass that artificially will rattling your head. If is old 'thin' sounding recording/master, you will hearing the same 'thinness', and here is where the 'bass' mode setting helping improving this albums (very few in my music library), BUT will not giving a big boost, which I think Dali doing seriously good job in NOT exaggerating the 'bass' mode.

2. Is normal that the sound (low frequencies principally) isn't so good when we listening at more low volume than 'normal' mid/mid-high levels (not high level where things can becoming sounding wrong), this has the name of "equal-loudness contour". Bose doing something very innovative many years ago with the now old QC35 model -- they developing some tech for compensating the loss of low frequency hearing in more low volumes. The AirPods Pro 2nd Gen doing this too very effectively. AND, for my surprise, the iO-12 is doing a very good job here in more low volumes. Still, the sound is better in normal mid/mid-high levels, but isn't decreasing in quality at all like I thinking before doing my test few minutes ago. Still, if you really going down in volume (is important, too, asking 'what do you/I/others considering low, mid, mid-high and high volume?), maybe using the 'bass' mode is a good idea.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #176 of 1,163
Number 2 is actually a very good question. Ok, in order:

1. The bass quality is excellent. Like I saying already, bass isn't have artificial boost and isn't affecting the midrange at all, BUT low mids have very correct weight. The bass is clean, tight and can becoming fast if is necessary, but not so fast that decay is becoming unnatural (typical of balanced armature drivers).

If a recording/master is have big bass, you having big bass with the iO-12, but not bass that artificially will rattling your head. If is old 'thin' sounding recording/master, you will hearing the same 'thinness', and here is where the 'bass' mode setting helping improving this albums (very few in my music library), BUT will not giving a big boost, which I think Dali doing seriously good job in NOT exaggerating the 'bass' mode.

2. Is normal that the sound (low frequencies principally) isn't so good when we listening at more low volume than 'normal' mid/mid-high levels (not high level where things can becoming sounding wrong), this has the name of "equal-loudness contour". Bose doing something very innovative many years ago with the now old QC35 model -- they developing some tech for compensating the loss of low frequency hearing in more low volumes. The AirPods Pro 2nd Gen doing this too very effectively. AND, for my surprise, the iO-12 is doing a very good job here in more low volumes. Still, the sound is better in normal mid/mid-high levels, but isn't decreasing in quality at all like I thinking before doing my test few minutes ago. Still, if you really going down in volume (is important, too, asking 'what do you/I/others considering low, mid, mid-high and high volume?), maybe using the 'bass' mode is a good idea.
Is the sound quality good considering its a Bluetooth closed-back headphones or good in general? How does it compare to open-back headphones? Could it rival the sound of wired open-back headphones priced at 500 euros or dollars, for example?

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #177 of 1,163
Is the sound quality good considering its a Bluetooth closed-back headphones or good in general? How does it compare to open-back headphones? Could it rival the sound of wired open-back headphones priced at 500 euros or dollars, for example?
I would say that this depends on your preferences. IO-12 is excellent and has an almost airy sound, for a closed back. It cannot rival the soundstage of a good open backed headphone. Also with IO-12 you get the whole package whereas a wired passive headphone will sound different depending on DAC/AMP.

For 500€ I think it is fairly easy to match and beat the sheer sound quality of IO-12, provided that you already have a decent DAC/AMP. For the price of IO-12 you can find lots of passive wired cans that run circles around IO-12, of course.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #178 of 1,163
I would say that this depends on your preferences. IO-12 is excellent and has an almost airy sound, for a closed back. It cannot rival the soundstage of a good open backed headphone. Also with IO-12 you get the whole package whereas a wired passive headphone will sound different depending on DAC/AMP.

For 500€ I think it is fairly easy to match and beat the sheer sound quality of IO-12, provided that you already have a decent DAC/AMP. For the price of IO-12 you can find lots of passive wired cans that run circles around IO-12, of course.
Be sure if you're gonna invest in a pair of IO-12's that you're feeding it good recordings...like if you're only listening to apple music lossless or even youtube music or a bunch of bands/artists that don't master amazingly, I'm starting to feel like sometimes the huge jump in price isn't as noticeable on the sound quality front sadly. Way older music and smaller bands sometimes suffer here.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #179 of 1,163
Be sure if you're gonna invest in a pair of IO-12's that you're feeding it good recordings...like if you're only listening to apple music lossless or even youtube music or a bunch of bands/artists that don't master amazingly, I'm starting to feel like sometimes the huge jump in price isn't as noticeable on the sound quality front sadly. Way older music and smaller bands sometimes suffer here.
Well it all depends. I would personally be more sensitive to the brighter treble. I like warm and dark sounding headphones and they normally do a better job at masking crap masters. Lex PX8…

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #180 of 1,163
Well it all depends. I would personally be more sensitive to the brighter treble. I like warm and dark sounding headphones and they normally do a better job at masking crap masters. Lex PX8…
Part of my point lol...the nicer headphones tend to be way less forgiving to crap masters. Sometimes that is good sometimes that is bad lol depending on how crap your fav artists masters are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back