New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #196 of 1,210
A quick update after 25 days of using IO-12.

1. First things first, I've decided to keep them. Now the question whether I should keep PX8 :)
2. Overall sound quality is simply excellent. I often reach for IO-12 even at home, where I have a couple of good wired headphones (e.g. Fostex TH900 MK2, 109 PRO, DCA Aeon 2, ZMF Aeolus). Even if IO-12 was just a wired headphone without ANC, I think it'll be very competitive within 1k EUR market. This was never the case for me with PX8 or Bathys.
3. I was at first cautious about "Hi-Fi" and "correct audio reproduction" claims, because I'm personally not a big Harman enjoyer and prefer a bit more warm sound signature instead of anemic neutrality. However, "anemic" is the last word that comes to my mind while listening to IO-12. They're indeed mostly neutral, but without sounding anemic and lifeless. Also bass levels are just fine. If I want to indulge myself in layers of bass, I'll pick my TH900 MK2 :)
4. Passive connection. Tried a couple of times with different sources (MB Pro jack, Mojo 2, Burson Conductor), too early to tell, but I think it's actually good enough. Maybe a bit less bass dynamics as DSP-driven BT connection, but overall similarly enjoyable.
5. Comfort is also very good. It does not have the same "wait, I was wearing headphones all that time"? effect as e.g. 109 PRO, but IO-12 is still very comfortable.
6. Size. Enormous, unfortunately. Luckily I never wear headphones outside, only APP2/wired IEMs, but if I have to wear headphones outside, IO-12 will not be the one I'd keep. For listening in the office/train/plane I think it's perfectly fine.
I am very interested in the comparison with the 109pro (my reference headphone right now). For example, when I'm on the street with the Meze 99 classics I sometimes think that the quality is very limited and I miss the 109pro at home.

Do you think that this will not happen with the Dali IO-12 and that they will offer me enough quality to enjoy and not miss more quality?

I am looking for a closed headphone to enjoy without too much compromise.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #197 of 1,210
I am very interested in the comparison with the 109pro
It has been a while since I heard the 109 Pro but of course these are quite different. And also they will sound different depending on pairing. IO-12 will sound the same as long as you feed it decent source material. Also as far as I recall the 109 Pro wasnt the most comfortable on my head.
I liked the 109 Pro but I think I would actually use IO-12 more if I had both. Mostly because of the comfort.
As for sheer sound quality, I am sure it is possible to squeeze some more detail or "better" sound out of the 109 Pro, provided that you have a good DAC/AMP.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #198 of 1,210
Do you think that this will not happen with the Dali IO-12 and that they will offer me enough quality to enjoy and not miss more quality?

That is certainly the case for me. Even at home I tend to reach for IO-12 last couple of weeks instead of 109 PRO.

But I admit that if you give 109 PRO a nice DAC/AMP, they will sound somewhat better than IO-12. But I would not say that this better is not night-and-day difference.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #200 of 1,210
I was at first cautious about "Hi-Fi" and "correct audio reproduction" claims, because I'm personally not a big Harman enjoyer and prefer a bit more warm sound signature instead of anemic neutrality. However, "anemic" is the last word that comes to my mind while listening to IO-12. They're indeed mostly neutral, but without sounding anemic and lifeless. Also bass levels are just fine. If I want to indulge myself in layers of bass,

I understand exactly what you're saying, and your comment about the iO-12 not sounding "anemic or lifeless" is very exactly right. This is a headphone that even with very bad dynamic range albums (so incredibly common in last 30+ years in pop and rock albums), like I saying before, is making this albums actually 'listenable' or at least 'bearable' (but still at more low volumes is necessary for me), something that others headphones with strong/unnatural bass lift and/or bad treble peaks making this albums, for me, a serious sonic nightmare. This is a very good sign of a good headphone with very good tonal balance.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #203 of 1,210
It seems that Dali is not confident enough in their product to send the headphones to traditional reviewers like Joshua Valour, Z Reviews, Resolve, etc....
Believe me, confidence has nothing to do with it. The Danes do not suck up to the youtube reviewers, or us for that matter.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #204 of 1,210
Believe me, confidence has nothing to do with it. The Danes do not suck up to the youtube reviewers, or us for that matter.
It may not be lack of confidence in their product, as you say, but a strange marketing move no doubt. A large part of their target audience (us) don't consider them as a possible purchase because of that lack of reviews and the general public doesn't even know them (in fact many users of this page surely don't even know them).

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #205 of 1,210
It may not be lack of confidence in their product, as you say, but a strange marketing move no doubt. A large part of their target audience (us) don't consider them as a possible purchase because of that lack of reviews and the general public doesn't even know them (in fact many users of this page surely don't even know them).
I dont know what is behind Dalis marketing plans, but they are super well known in most part of Europe at least. Maybe they see this as a start.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #206 of 1,210
I dont know what is behind Dalis marketing plans, but they are super well known in most part of Europe at least. Maybe they see this as a start.
They are decidedly not known in America in that same way. That's the curious part. I can barely find a place that has the iO-12 for sale in American let alone people knowledgable about them. It's frustrating.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #207 of 1,210
They are decidedly not known in America in that same way. That's the curious part. I can barely find a place that has the iO-12 for sale in American let alone people knowledgable about them. It's frustrating.
We want all the Scandinavian brands for ourselves 🤓

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #208 of 1,210
It’s certainly a stark contrast to the approach of Dan Clark Audio with the new E3. The minute they were announced there were reviews from multiple high profile youtube reviewers.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #209 of 1,210
...like always with all headphones I buying and keeping, now I'm testing the iO-12's battery life. The results are coming soon.

One nice thing about my MacBook Pro (MBP) is that is giving me very precise battery percentage. I charging my io12 with extra 30 minutes for making sure is 100%, but my MBP is still showing 97%. This isn't important but is interesting.

Dali is claiming that you having 35 hours of battery life. In difference with some others manufactures (not all) that making distinction between battery life with and without ANC, Dali is only saying 35 hours --- with ANC on you usually obtaining less battery life. But then you having headphones like Bathys and Bose QC Ultra or NC700 where ANC is never off. I think having real ANC off is always a good thing.

Anyway, I listening at average of 50% volume with the io12 (more or less equivalent of maybe 70% with the Solitaire T, 5909 or H95 because in this 3 headphones the maximum volume is less than in the io12 or Bathys).

BUT, even if I'm listening all the time for this test with ANC off, I changing volume VERY constantly AND tracks too, and this is normally affecting battery life too.

So, right now I have 36h 05m and 16% battery remaining. I will continue until the battery dying but only this time for my tests. Only this time because I know that isn't good depleting the battery always --- I usually charging again my headphones when is about 30% battery remaining. In this test, with 32% I obtaining 29h 13m.

I think this is very good.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #210 of 1,210
@angelom thanks for your detailed and extremely useful notes about actual experience with iO-12!
As an owner of a pair of -- well-known to yourself -- ML 5909s, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Looks like iO-12s earcups are less deep than 5909s? If true, do you feel any difference comfort-wise?
2. I love 5909s bass and specifically lower bass (ANC off, bass extended), delicate but so joyful. How would you compare it with iO-12? I do listen mostly to EDM (drum & bass, uk garage, downtempo, deep house, etc) but also the likes future jazz, dub and (dark) ambient, so that's really important aspect to me. But for example, Bose QC Ultra default bass level is too much for me :)

Thank you in advance! Looking forward seeing even more in this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back