New Cypher labs product!
Nov 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #256 of 352
Quote:

An e-mmc/flash based 64gb S3(already available in Germany)/Note2(when released or from Korea now)+64gb microsd card is a very attractive alternative to a HDD 160gb ipod. Assuming that one can use it with the -db or a similar product. The difference between the two ends up being 30-40gb which isn't 'gigantic'. In theory the option of using multiple 64gb micro sd cards (or 128gb microsds when released next year) means that the above android combination is potentially much larger in capacity and flash/non-volatile memory to boot.

Would it be nice if it worked with all the Android devices? Absolutely. I wish it did right now but all I am saying is that it was not a deal-breaker for me. The CLAS from the start has been designed for the iDevices and we can only pressure Cypher Labs to do something about the Android devices. I understand the freedom to use multiple SD cards but again I'll take my 160Gb iPod's ease over swapping SD cards by opening up the back of my phone and then repeating this process regularly. If that 160Gb is not enough, I can always put a 240Gb into the iPod. If that's 240Gb is not enough, then that means there's something wrong with me... 

All that being said which one of use will email Cypher Labs to ask about the Android capability? 

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #258 of 352
Quote:
Would it be nice if it worked with all the Android devices? Absolutely. I wish it did right now but all I am saying is that it was not a deal-breaker for me. The CLAS from the start has been designed for the iDevices and we can only pressure Cypher Labs to do something about the Android devices. I understand the freedom to use multiple SD cards but again I'll take my 160Gb iPod's ease over swapping SD cards by opening up the back of my phone and then repeating this process regularly. If that 160Gb is not enough, I can always put a 240Gb into the iPod. If that's 240Gb is not enough, then that means there's something wrong with me... 

All that being said which one of use will email Cypher Labs to ask about the Android capability? 

+1 240Gb 
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #259 of 352
From post #195: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631247/new-cypher-labs-product/180#post_8842833
Quote:

Actually, if I may beg to defer :wink:, it has been tried 2 weeks back when the Cypherlabs and ALO folks were in Tokyo for the Fujiya show. A colleague did try the Galaxy S3 with the CLAS -db and they wouldn't talk to each other (OTG cable used). It turns out that (at least with Samsung's implementation of the USB Audio driver???) in this particular case the USB host mode tricks the CLAS to think it's an iDevice.

The conjecture part would be the discussion thereafter if it can be fixed with a custom (usb) cable specifically for the CLAS.

In this case the discussion was with David/CypherLabs.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grev /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Should petition for an Android capable device then!

I'd say maybe the mail to David/CypherLabs should be "How's the Android custom cable going?"

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #260 of 352

Hi Nelson,

Let's not get into the burn-in debate.  It's never been definitely proven with any kind of component, but if you hear it, then great.

Does anyone else wish the -dB came with a switch to turn off the iDevice charging function?  It's a nice feature to have, but when your iDevice is already charged and you're going to be near a power outlet during your entire listening session, it seems like this function drains the -dB's battery unnecessarily and also might decrease the life of the iDevice's battery.  Is there any basis for my suspicions?

Just wondering because with certain batteries, being constantly charged will decrease the number of charge lives the battery has, right?

That's not the case with iDevices, hence no need to turning off the -dB's charging function. 

I like the idea of having a switch to control the charging at will, but Yuce is correct regarding iDevice invulnerability to overcharging. It's a matter of how much intelligence is designed into the charging circuit.

Many, if not most laptops have chargers that will slowly kill the battery pack if you leave it plugged into AC all the time. All battery chemistries endure a limited number of full and/or partial discharge cycles until they must be replaced.

Poorly designed charging circuits will create a hysteresis between a state of being fully charged and something like 99% of fully charged. That's bad news for any battery because, even though it's shallow-breathing the battery, the charger is slowly consuming the limited number of charge cycles while over-reacting to the natural voltage decay that occurs with an idle device.

Moral of the story: Leave your laptop unplugged when not using it, but feel free to charge your iDevice whenever you feel like it.

Mike

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #261 of 352
Nov 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #262 of 352

Quote:
Hi Nelson,
I like the idea of having a switch to control the charging at will, but Yuce is correct regarding iDevice invulnerability to overcharging. It's a matter of how much intelligence is designed into the charging circuit.

Hey Mike, thanks for the info.  Even if the iDevice's battery isn't affected by the -dB constantly charging it, it still seems like it can be a waste of energy for the -dB when you don't need the charging.  

I wonder if Ken or David from Cypher Labs can chime in with information about how much battery life the -dB expends doing the charging?  Would it significantly extend the battery life of the -dB if it were not constantly charging the iDevice?

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #263 of 352
If your iDevice is fully charged then the amount of energy used to charge the iDevice is so minimal that it becomes a non-issue. In the previous CLAS my biggest issue was that it drained the battery of my iPod fairly quickly, that I had to charge my iPod every night. If you're using a fully charged iPod with the new CLAS you get around 13-14 hours of battery life out of the CLAS which, I think, is amazing. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #264 of 352
Long time lurker on these forums (and unfortunately my wallet has suffered, but not my ears!), first time poster.

I purchased the new Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB from Todd the Vinyl Junkie and wanted to provide some great feedback for both them, Cypher Labs, and most importantly, for the CLAS -dB. My saga started out with trying to purchase the original CLAS and at that time, TTVJ was the only retailer still showing availability. Of course, they were out of stock, but they did notify me that two new products were coming out and gave me the choice to upgrade to the -dB or choose the -R and receive a refund for the price. Shortly after receiving the CLAS -dB, TTVJ notified me that mine was one affected by the balanced output issue. (Having only used it single ended, I hadn't noticed any problems.) They put me in contact with David at Cypher Labs, who could not have been better. I returned my CLAS -dB to Cypher Labs and within 10 days had the fixed unit shipped back to me. Thanks to Cypher Labs and TTVJ for such excellent customer service. Could not have been a better experience!

Now onto the sound. My previous setup had been an iPod 5G or my Mac via a RSA Predator to either Shure 535 IEMs or Grado RS1i. When deciding to add the CLAS, I decided I needed an upgrade and purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-2's. Once I received the CLAS, added an iPod classic 7G (from reading the forums it doesn't seem like the iPod 5G plays well with the CLAS due to hardware limitations). The RSA Predator clips when trying to drive the LCD-2s (I guess it's not powerful enough), so now it, my Shure 535's and my iPod 5G have been relegated to my subway commuting rig, and I upgraded the amp to the ALO Rx Mk3-B. (Not kidding that this can get to be an expensive hobby.) Finally, the sound. The combination of the CLAS -dB, ALO Rx Mk3-B, and the Audeze LCD-2's is nothing short of amazing. The bass is deep, controlled and not rolled off or overpowering. The mids are smooth and luscious and the highs are incredibly clean and not too forward (that was my complaint with the Grado RS1i). I have been spending way too many hours late at night just listening to and enjoying music. Although lossless sounds best, I've even been enjoying iTunes AAC 256 downloads with this setup. Have got balanced interconnect from ALO and some Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cables on order and can't wait to see the difference that these and going balanced will make.

Sorry for the long post (or if it is in the wrong place -- noob, after all), but I wanted to share my great experiences with both Todd the Vinyl Junkie and Cyper Labs with the CLAS -dB balanced output issue and my sonic impressions of this great product. To me, the combination of the CLAS -dB -> ALO Rx Mk3B -> Audeze LCD-2's is sublime and one I would highly recommend if you can swing it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #266 of 352
Quote:
Long time lurker on these forums (and unfortunately my wallet has suffered, but not my ears!), first time poster.

I purchased the new Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB from Todd the Vinyl Junkie and wanted to provide some great feedback for both them, Cypher Labs, and most importantly, for the CLAS -dB. My saga started out with trying to purchase the original CLAS and at that time, TTVJ was the only retailer still showing availability. Of course, they were out of stock, but they did notify me that two new products were coming out and gave me the choice to upgrade to the -dB or choose the -R and receive a refund for the price. Shortly after receiving the CLAS -dB, TTVJ notified me that mine was one affected by the balanced output issue. (Having only used it single ended, I hadn't noticed any problems.) They put me in contact with David at Cypher Labs, who could not have been better. I returned my CLAS -dB to Cypher Labs and within 10 days had the fixed unit shipped back to me. Thanks to Cypher Labs and TTVJ for such excellent customer service. Could not have been a better experience!

Now onto the sound. My previous setup had been an iPod 5G or my Mac via a RSA Predator to either Shure 535 IEMs or Grado RS1i. When deciding to add the CLAS, I decided I needed an upgrade and purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-2's. Once I received the CLAS, added an iPod classic 7G (from reading the forums it doesn't seem like the iPod 5G plays well with the CLAS due to hardware limitations). The RSA Predator clips when trying to drive the LCD-2s (I guess it's not powerful enough), so now it, my Shure 535's and my iPod 5G have been relegated to my subway commuting rig, and I upgraded the amp to the ALO Rx Mk3-B. (Not kidding that this can get to be an expensive hobby.) Finally, the sound. The combination of the CLAS -dB, ALO Rx Mk3-B, and the Audeze LCD-2's is nothing short of amazing. The bass is deep, controlled and not rolled off or overpowering. The mids are smooth and luscious and the highs are incredibly clean and not too forward (that was my complaint with the Grado RS1i). I have been spending way too many hours late at night just listening to and enjoying music. Although lossless sounds best, I've even been enjoying iTunes AAC 256 downloads with this setup. Have got balanced interconnect from ALO and some Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cables on order and can't wait to see the difference that these and going balanced will make.

Sorry for the long post (or if it is in the wrong place -- noob, after all), but I wanted to share my great experiences with both Todd the Vinyl Junkie and Cyper Labs with the CLAS -dB balanced output issue and my sonic impressions of this great product. To me, the combination of the CLAS -dB -> ALO Rx Mk3B -> Audeze LCD-2's is sublime and one I would highly recommend if you can swing it.

Based on your post we should remove your junior status:)

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #267 of 352
Quote:
That was fun reading, EtherMD,

I find it remarkable that in your first post you're able to share what seems like a very fast track to what for many, would be the end of a long road of upgrades.  Congratulations on spending hours and hours listening to music, now.

L3000.gif

Mike

Quote:
Based on your post we should remove your junior status:)

I agree EtherMD (except the iTunes part).. Im heading that way as well however its sounds like you have the bug in a big way. I returned/lodged my -dB today with FEDEX to go back to ALO.

Did they send you out a new one with the issue fixed or fix your unit EtherMD?

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #268 of 352
Quote:

Curiosity, which wood type for LCD-2 cups did you go with and why?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #269 of 352
mine finally arrived from ALO.  yes it was recall CLAS but it works great.
It's different from the original solo, I feel this dB has more body to the music and it creats more
stage.  this is first impression i got from dB but I need to spend more time.  Also, this dB give EVen
more definitions to individual instrument and crisp feeling?  Right now, I'm listening with Amperior and Momentum for now.
However, I'm going to have time with HD800/balance cable. 
Right now i'm using MK3-B and single ended cable, NOT balance cable.  If someone wants to loan me cable...
beerchug.gif

Later, i'll try with my intrude as well.

2cents for today.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #270 of 352
mine finally arrived from ALO.  yes it was recall CLAS but it works great.
It's different from the original solo, I feel this dB has more body to the music and it creats more
stage.  this is first impression i got from dB but I need to spend more time.  Also, this dB give EVen
more definitions to individual instrument and crisp feeling?  Right now, I'm listening with Amperior and Momentum for now.
However, I'm going to have time with HD800/balance cable. 
Right now i'm using MK3-B and single ended cable, NOT balance cable.  If someone wants to loan me cable...:beerchug:
Later, i'll try with my intrude as well.

2cents for today.

Thanks for sharing your thought. I will look for ur impression on -dB with Intruder since that's how i plan to build my rig :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back