New Cypher labs product!
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 352
Whoa!  The race is on!

That's some serious competition for the CEntrance HiFi-M8, even without an amp, as some people might actually prefer using separates.

I never thought I'd see the day when the CLAS went balanced - what a surprise!

Thanks for the heads up,

L3000.gif

Mike

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 352
One thing mystifies me about the db, the mini usb plug.

Why did they change from the previous standard USB size (to mini usb) that the original Solo had, making the previous $150 USB/LOD unusable for those who choose to upgrade.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 352
Quote:
One thing mystifies me about the db, the mini usb plug.

Why did they change from the previous standard USB size (to mini usb) that the original Solo had, making the previous $150 USB/LOD unusable for those who choose to upgrade.

I think perhaps you may have answered your own question there.

Seriously though Mini USB has 5 signal paths, normal USB A has only 4, and the new Solo works with anything not just apple products. Perhaps that is why?

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 352
Quote:
I think perhaps you may have answered your own question there.

Seriously though Mini USB has 5 signal paths, normal USB A has only 4, and the new Solo works with anything not just apple products. Perhaps that is why?

ah, I see.

Thanks for clearing that up
smile.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 352
Quote:
Mini USB has 5 signal paths, normal USB A has only 4, and the new Solo works with anything not just apple products. Perhaps that is why?

No. That explanation doesn't make sense. Look at the different potential connection permutations with reference to the original Solo, standard computer USB out (hint: A) etc.

What does make sense is that USB A to USB mini is generally the standard USB cable for audio. It is a good standard; more convenient/portable than A to A.

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 352
Quote:
Cypherlabs just launched Solo-R for $499. I guess Solo-R is similar to current Solo but with lower price. I guess this is a very clever idea from Cypherlabs to compete with others.

the R is said to be the refreshed version and dropped the price a bit but if you notice, the audio chip is actually changed from a wolfson chip to an AKM chip.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 352
Quote:

No. That explanation doesn't make sense. Look at the different potential connection permutations with reference to the original Solo, standard computer USB out (hint: A) etc.

What does make sense is that USB A to USB mini is generally the standard USB cable for audio. It is a good standard; more convenient/portable than A to A.

It makes perfect sense to me. How many other portable DACs do you know that support both Apple and PC sources? The extra pin may be needed for OTG functionality with phones? The original Solo won't connect to anything but an Apple i device so it's connection permutations are limited to those (Hint: 30 pin dock connector, using 4 pins i.e. 4 signals from the source. The pins being 16(grnd) 23(voltage) 26 and 27 (- and + digital data signals)).

I agree with you that it may have been put in to bring it to more of a standard though. The only way to really know for sure would be to ask them :) which I might do right now.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 352
Quote:
It makes perfect sense to me. How many other portable DACs do you know that support both Apple and PC sources? The extra pin may be needed for OTG functionality with phones? The original Solo won't connect to anything but an Apple i device so it's connection permutations are limited to those (Hint: 30 pin dock connector, using 4 pins i.e. 4 signals from the source. The pins being 16(grnd) 23(voltage) 26 and 27 (- and + digital data signals)).

I agree with you that it may have been put in to bring it to more of a standard though. The only way to really know for sure would be to ask them :) which I might do right now.

We agree to disagree.  :)

I'm not sure that you will get a satisfactory answer but please report back.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #14 of 352
Quote:

We agree to disagree.  :)

I'm not sure that you will get a satisfactory answer but please report back.

Yeah I expect I won't hear anything back till after RMAF. I am very curious about this. If this thing works with my Android phone though and sounds as good as the last one, I am going to find it very difficult to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back