New Cypher labs product!
Nov 19, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #241 of 352
Quote:
I received a message from CypherLabs ALO will ship out later this week.

Hmm interesting haven't heard anything from ALO regarding the replacement ready to be sent out next week

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #242 of 352
Quote:
Hmm interesting haven't heard anything from ALO regarding the replacement ready to be sent out next week

I've just forwarded mail to your office e-mail.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #243 of 352
After spending a few days listening to my -dB, using the single-ended output to my MK3 and Pico Slim and with the Ed. 8, DT1350, and UERM, I have some initial impressions.  The first is that the -dB seems to have a darker, warmer sound signature than the original CLAS.  Whether that's due to a change in tonal balance, or whether the -dB is actually hazy and veiled in comparison to the CLAS, I can't really say without having the CLAS in front of me.  But I owned the CLAS for about 18 months and I think I remember its sound pretty well.

The lowered gain is definitely a big plus for me, as it minimizes the amount of hiss that the MK3 produces and allows for more usable positions on the volume dial with sensitive headphones.  But I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the sound of the -dB.  It just doesn't feel as crisp, transparent and neutral as I remember the CLAS sounding.  But I suppose if you found the CLAS to sound a bit harsh or anemic, then the -dB could be seen as more natural and rich.  I'm finding the sound slightly dull, but maybe it will grow on me.

I'm interested to see if (and how) the sound might change in balanced output mode, once the "fixed" -dBs become available.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #244 of 352
Quote:
After spending a few days listening to my -dB, using the single-ended output to my MK3 and Pico Slim and with the Ed. 8, DT1350, and UERM, I have some initial impressions.  The first is that the -dB seems to have a darker, warmer sound signature than the original CLAS.  Whether that's due to a change in tonal balance, or whether the -dB is actually hazy and veiled in comparison to the CLAS, I can't really say without having the CLAS in front of me.  But I owned the CLAS for about 18 months and I think I remember its sound pretty well.

The lowered gain is definitely a big plus for me, as it minimizes the amount of hiss that the MK3 produces and allows for more usable positions on the volume dial with sensitive headphones.  But I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the sound of the -dB.  It just doesn't feel as crisp, transparent and neutral as I remember the CLAS sounding.  But I suppose if you found the CLAS to sound a bit harsh or anemic, then the -dB could be seen as more natural and rich.  I'm finding the sound slightly dull, but maybe it will grow on me.

I'm interested to see if (and how) the sound might change in balanced output mode, once the "fixed" -dBs become available.

I still have the original CLAS (Wolfson) & CLAS -dB (AKM) and am currently A/B-ing them side by side (original CLAS+iPad whilst CLAS-dB iPhone). I do find that the Wolfson to be more slam-impactful whereas the AKM to be more mellow. Strangely though I find that seems to be the typical signature of the various AKM DACs I've owned (Go-DAP 4.0/VAmp, Go-DAP X, HP-A8).

At times (depending on what I'm listening to), I do like the slam-impact of the Wolfson but at other times I like the subtleness of the AKM.

To me though the dB shines in balanced mode. It provides a more holographic "in a hall" type presentation. To me the most noticeable factor is the improvement in imaging but I feel soundstage and detail improves somewhat too.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #245 of 352
Quote:

To me though the dB shines in balanced mode. It provides a more holographic "in a hall" type presentation. To me the most noticeable factor is the improvement in imaging but I feel soundstage and detail improves somewhat too.

Does this apply to balanced out amps or are you talking about the balanced mode between the CLAS and the amp regardless of what kind of headphone termination is used? 

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #246 of 352
DJ, been reading you're RX post as well, boy I wish I lived closer to you so you could listen to my blackbird or get hold of a really well used one, one with over 500 hours on it as I have had now a number of people who came to the same conclusions as you on the blackbird listen to mine and scratch their heads wondering if they are the same amps. Much more clarity after some serious hors on the unit. These comments come not only with listening through the PF's but also the LCD's!

Likewise combined with my original CLAS it seems to be so well balanced and most importantly so musical. Thank you for your thoughts on the new one, it confirms my decision to stick with the original.

As to balanced, in truth my experience with the blackbird leaves me feeling it is not as great an improvement as has been made out.

I listen exclusively now single ended through the pf's and I feel it is the most musical I have heard from a portable set up to date.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #247 of 352
Quote:
Does this apply to balanced out amps or are you talking about the balanced mode between the CLAS and the amp regardless of what kind of headphone termination is used? 

This is quite specific to the CLAS -dB -> balanced out (my balanced cable has a "temporary fix" to the out-of-phase issue) -> Rx Mk3 or SR-71B. Believe it or not, I was using SE headphone out. I also have balanced headphone out which improves further but as I mentioned in a previous post, the backend balance between the DAC <-> amp was a bigger improvement than balanced between amp <-> headphones.

A balanced IC was the only way to make my SR-71B shine. For a whole year of owning the SR-71B I wasn't all that impressed  - in headphone out SE or in headphone out Balanced. Only Balanced Input made a difference.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #249 of 352
Had the -dB for about 5 days now so holding off on my impressions but I'd like to ask if anyone believes in "burn in" changing sound over time on D/A convertors?

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #250 of 352
Let's not get into the burn-in debate.  It's never been definitely proven with any kind of component, but if you hear it, then great.

Does anyone else wish the -dB came with a switch to turn off the iDevice charging function?  It's a nice feature to have, but when your iDevice is already charged and you're going to be near a power outlet during your entire listening session, it seems like this function drains the -dB's battery unnecessarily and also might decrease the life of the iDevice's battery.  Is there any basis for my suspicions?

Just wondering because with certain batteries, being constantly charged will decrease the number of charge lives the battery has, right?

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #251 of 352
Quote:
Let's not get into the burn-in debate.  It's never been definitely proven with any kind of component, but if you hear it, then great.

Does anyone else wish the -dB came with a switch to turn off the iDevice charging function?  It's a nice feature to have, but when your iDevice is already charged and you're going to be near a power outlet during your entire listening session, it seems like this function drains the -dB's battery unnecessarily and also might decrease the life of the iDevice's battery.  Is there any basis for my suspicions?

Just wondering because with certain batteries, being constantly charged will decrease the number of charge lives the battery has, right?

That's not the case with iDevices, hence no need to turning off the -dB's charging function. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #252 of 352
does anyone know if the new CLAS has an extra battery terminal inside for an extra battery like the original CLAS does? pretty nice option that I went with,

if so then the new CLAS would have the best of both worlds, an uber long battery life that would also charge my failing iPods battery! 

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #253 of 352
I will bet you that they already have a bigger battery as the second battery was an improvement on the old model, I can't imagine they would not carry that over to the new one!

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #254 of 352
Anybody hooked their DX100 up to the -dB with optical out and USB into the CLAS??? Is it possible??

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #255 of 352
Quote:
As a Samsung Galaxy SIII owner I don't understand why people are so disappointed that the new CLAS doesn't work with Android devices. The reason why anyone buys a CLAS is so that he or she is able to bypass both the amp and the DAC section of the device. If that's the case, one can find a 160gb iPod Classic at a quite reasonable price anywhere, then why limit yourself to a cell phone like SIII instead of having a gigantic space for your lossless files as in the case with iPod? 

To say that the new CLAS is not desirable because it doesn't work with Android devices is kind of pointless, IMO. 

An e-mmc/flash based 64gb S3(already available in Germany)/Note2(when released or from Korea now)+64gb microsd card is a very attractive alternative to a HDD 160gb ipod. Assuming that one can use it with the -db or a similar product. The difference between the two ends up being 30-40gb which isn't 'gigantic'. In theory the option of using multiple 64gb micro sd cards (or 128gb microsds when released next year) means that the above android combination is potentially much larger in capacity and flash/non-volatile memory to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back