New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jul 27, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #3,346 of 4,065
Sounds like the 8.2 is good for vocal orientated music. Is it a good all rounder and works well across different genres?

I surely hope that the H8.2 is a good all rounder as I usually listen to multiple genres in 'shuffle all files' mode
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #3,347 of 4,065

That would be appreciated thank you. Also, if you have any other genres like EDM, hip-hop or pop.

Errr I don't have hip-hop in my collection.

Does 90s techno and ambient count as EDM?

Pop music, not a problem.

Brief update: been rotating pop, live jazz, classical concertos, rock and prog metal, so far all very pleasing. I was in particular wondering how H8.2 would fare on rock and metal and it's doing better than I thought. The improved rendition of percussion and midrange are contributing in this regard.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,348 of 4,065
I just got the 8,2 as a demo model that's going on tour in Denmark and after that on a tour here in Europe here on head-Fi

I'm really looking forward to listen to it on my zx2 with a silver moon audio TRRS cable.

I have the EI.XX and mainly listen to melodeath and prog metal going to be interesting how the 8.2 fares vs the EI.XX

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #3,349 of 4,065
I just got the 8,2 as a demo model that's going on tour in Denmark and after that on a tour here in Europe here on head-Fi

I'm really looking forward to listen to it on my zx2 with a silver moon audio TRRS cable.

I have the EI.XX and mainly listen to melodeath and prog metal going to be interesting how the 8.2 fares vs the EI.XX

how can i sign up ? should i pm @piotrus-g ? what's the procedure ?

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,350 of 4,065
how can i sign up ? should i pm @piotrus-g
 ? what's the procedure ?

Hey proedros

I'm enjoying your zx2 :)

Piotr will have nothing to do with the tour as the demo was given to me for tour purpose. Along with Music one, Music two, pro 330v2, EI.3 and EI.XX that will also be part of the tour

So it will be me that will be the contact person. But at the moment the 8.2 and the other demos will take its tour on the Danish version of head-Fi before going out into Europe so it might take a few months depending on participants.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3,351 of 4,065

I have been listening a while to the 8.2 this evening and First impressions is I have to agree with Mrbutchi
The sound is a lot more balanced than EI.XX well pretty much what Mrbutchi writes here also about the 3D effect soundstage

It is very different from Ei.XX in that the H8.2 signature is a lot more balanced, where Ei.XX is significantly coloured.
The scene will be a lot deeper on H8.2 too, providing a much more 3D type like effect,
Finally, there will be less bass/subs as Ei.XX is clearly bass oriented.

I also have to agree with Tkteo in regards to sub bass in EI.XX VS 8.2

I had to plug in H8.2 and Ei.XX back and forth, and volume match as closely as I could unfortunately without a decibel meter, before I replied again.

My impression is that H8.2 is closer *than the Ei.XX* to reference, though I would stop short of calling it *flat* across all frequencies.

I was playing a mix of my usual vocalist test tracks and percussive tracks back and forth. H8.2 brings the vocals more prominently in the mix, whereas Ei.XX has a stronger bass response and thus vocals sound more recessed. Depending on the track, there would be my concern that the bass frequencies on Ei.XX sound like it intrudes into the vocal midrange.

Yet the Ei.XX is not without its merits. In addition to a stronger bass response which one may prefer depending on music preferences, the sub-bass presence is also more refined,

An example being my FLAC rip of Eagles' "Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over album. Now I know this is used as a test track for as long as hell does not freeze over (sorry, lame attempt at joke here), but my FLAC rip is the *uncompressed* (no dynamic range compression) mix of the DVD Special Tour edition. At the start of the track the percussion sounds actually linger in the air via the sub-bass portions of the percussion. This percussive sub-bass decay is brought out by the Ei.XX (and also my 64 Audio A8) but less so in the H8.2

Listening 8.2 leaves me longing for the bass of the EI.XX but that's a known effect going from a more bassy EIM to one with less

But listening to EI.XX really realy leaves me longing for the mids and highs of the 8.2 and the much much better 3D sound stage it has

Mind you all that it's the demo I'm listening to and sound can be perceived differently compared to my EI.XX CIEM's

I have rally small ears and Piotr even though the great wizard he is is not able to make the harmony series for my ear so total bummer for me... Gues I have to start up a custom project with him :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #3,352 of 4,065
Another observation I have done listening for a good 5 hours straight with the 8.2 today vs the EI.XX is that I play at lower volumes that I tend to do with the EI.XX or I will get listening fatigue in my left ear. ( I'm an electrician so power tools has been used for 15 years close to my right ear as I'm right handed without much protecting which I'm using now as I wear my CIEM's all day )
With the 8.2 I can comfortably play at my desired volume I like

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #3,353 of 4,065
Piotr will have nothing to do with the tour as the demo was given to me for tour purpose. Along with Music one, Music two, pro 330v2, EI.3 and EI.XX that will also be part of the tour

So it will be me that will be the contact person. But at the moment the 8.2 and the other demos will take its tour on the Danish version of head-Fi before going out into Europe so it might take a few months depending on participants.

Eh what? I just read this. So the models are there already? Great news!
I'll be expecting it, though hopefully not in December because shipping is pretty risky that month

Anyway I'll sign up for sure.

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #3,354 of 4,065
  Errr I don't have hip-hop in my collection.

Does 90s techno and ambient count as EDM?

Pop music, not a problem.

Brief update: been rotating pop, live jazz, classical concertos, rock and prog metal, so far all very pleasing. I was in particular wondering how H8.2 would fare on rock and metal and it's doing better than I thought. The improved rendition of percussion and midrange are contributing in this regard.

I'm pretty sure 90s techno and ambient count as EDM, How does the 8.2 perform with those genres?

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,355 of 4,065

I'm pretty sure 90s techno and ambient count as EDM, How does the 8.2 perform with those genres?

I think it depends on the emphasis of the track. Been listening to the likes of KLF, Shamen, Robert Miles, Information Society, today. There is enough sub-bass and bass punch. Vocals in the tracks are not drowned out by the bass. The midrange tuning of the H8.2 allows the main melody of the tracks to be prominent enough, and simultaneously the bass response is sufficient and punchy enough for me to "feel the beat" so to speak.

So for the varieties of electronica that I listen to, no problem for H8.2. I cannot comment on drum and bass genre though.

On another aspect: I had neglected to comment on soundstaging. Now I need to state that my ideas of soundstage have very little to do with narrow versus wide. In the real world narrow and wide depends on the location, the type of performance and the microphone setup.

So I rotated between various live jazz recordings made available by German magazine hifistatement, because I much prefer to use live recording as my references. H8.2 is capable of revealing such differences in the setup of the recordings. Different tracks gave me different perceptions of how each jazz trio or band was miked.

I also listened through Jackson Browne's Solo Acoustic recordings. There is quite a bit of Browne talking to the audience and audience response. Suffice to say that H8.2 gave me the sense that Browne and the audience were indeed seated at different positions in the performance venue. So, to reiterate, it's not about narrow or wide, with H8.2 you can think about *positioning*.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #3,356 of 4,065
After reading the many impressions here re the 8.2 i decided to go down to my local dealer to try out the demo to seeif it was worth the upgrade

While I'm aware that the customs always sound different from the demos, the demos sounded like someone stuffed tissue paper between my ears and the music. There was greater bass quantity...i think...but the mids and highs sounded really muffled.

While i trust that piotr knows what he's doing, I'm really torn about whether to upgrade...

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,357 of 4,065
After reading the many impressions here re the 8.2 i decided to go down to my local dealer to try out the demo to seeif it was worth the upgrade

While I'm aware that the customs always sound different from the demos, the demos sounded like someone stuffed tissue paper between my ears and the music. There was greater bass quantity...i think...but the mids and highs sounded really muffled.

While i trust that piotr knows what he's doing, I'm really torn about whether to upgrade...

My silicone H8.2 sounds way better than the demo universal I tried at Music Sanctuary Singapore. It's not just the isolation of silicone but also the custom will reach deeper into my ear canals compared to the universal which had nozzles that were too short for my ear shape.

My ears are also larger than several of the persons who visited MS wanting to try the 8.2 so unfortunately there was no way to even forcefit my pair for them. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3,358 of 4,065

My silicone H8.2 sounds way better than the demo universal I tried at Music Sanctuary Singapore. It's not just the isolation of silicone but also the custom will reach deeper into my ear canals compared to the universal which had nozzles that were too short for my ear shape.

My ears are also larger than several of the persons who visited MS wanting to try the 8.2 so unfortunately there was no way to even forcefit my pair for them. 

I see. So its an issue with the universal canals then? 

Would I be right in saying the 8.2 is like an 8P with greater bass quantity and little less treble? (and an overall smoother signature?) 

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #3,359 of 4,065

Sounds like there was a problem, possibly with a cable? Did you talk with guys at Music Sanctuary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back