New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jul 25, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #3,331 of 4,065
It is very different from Ei.XX in that the H8.2 signature is a lot more balanced, where Ei.XX is significantly coloured.
The scene will be a lot deeper on H8.2 too, providing a much more 3D type like effect,
Finally, there will be less bass/subs as Ei.XX is clearly bass oriented.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #3,332 of 4,065
@MrButchi speaking of coloured sound sig CIEMs, what are the most coloured one? i had TH900 before and it was the most fun regarding that kind of sound sig. if i want something similar in that regard then which CIEM should i go with?

been away and lately there been many new CIEMs, like Zues-XIV which is also coloured when it comes to the mids. 

some people like only Neutral soung sig, but not me for sure, i am open for more fun :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #3,333 of 4,065
Hey @Shini44 that's a tough one, especially as I'm more of a neutral type signature guy, and have a limited knowledge.
From what I read above from @tkteo, Zeus XIV would be the most coloured totl, though of course u'd have to check firdt if it's your kind of coloration.
From what I know of TH900, it's basses and subs slam really hard. Did you consider hybrid designs such as AAW 500H?

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #3,334 of 4,065
i am for of a BA person, not sure that the hybrid will suit me. i guess i will read more about Zeus XIV sometime later. might read about AAW 500H too to see how good the hybrids are right now. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3,335 of 4,065
Thank you, if it is not too much to ask for could you tell me how it is better or different from the Ei. Xx as I am considering to upgrade?

The difference is the sense of balance and bass emphasis. If I want more bass slam especially in percussive sounds, then among my CIEM collection I will use the Ei.XX (not the only bassy CIEM I own but I limit the comparison here to not muddle my point) rather than the H8.2

But with any emphasis on bass response there could be the consequence that the midrange in particular is going to sound more recessed. This does not have to be a certainty but personal experience is that my Ei.XX and 64 Audio A8 (the bassiest one in the A-series) tend to come across as having a midrange that is more "shelved in".

So in this sense the H8.2 delivers a more balanced sound signature, although the bass response is improved over the H8 and H8Pro, it is not at the expense of the midrange. This is how in my opinion the H8.2 delivers better bass response and more refined midrange than the 8Pro.

It is based on these considerations that I decided to upgrade from 8Pro to H8.2.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #3,336 of 4,065
  The difference is the sense of balance and bass emphasis. If I want more bass slam especially in percussive sounds, then among my CIEM collection I will use the Ei.XX (not the only bassy CIEM I own but I limit the comparison here to not muddle my point) rather than the H8.2

But with any emphasis on bass response there could be the consequence that the midrange in particular is going to sound more recessed. This does not have to be a certainty but personal experience is that my Ei.XX and 64 Audio A8 (the bassiest one in the A-series) tend to come across as having a midrange that is more "shelved in".

So in this sense the H8.2 delivers a more balanced sound signature, although the bass response is improved over the H8 and H8Pro, it is not at the expense of the midrange. This is how in my opinion the H8.2 delivers better bass response and more refined midrange than the 8Pro.

It is based on these considerations that I decided to upgrade from 8Pro to H8.2.

Would you say the 8.2 has more of a reference sound or is it still quite musical?

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,338 of 4,065

Quote:

Would you say the 8.2 has more of a reference sound or is it still quite musical?

If he doesn't, I would definitely (compared to Ei.XX).

I had to plug in H8.2 and Ei.XX back and forth, and volume match as closely as I could unfortunately without a decibel meter, before I replied again.

My impression is that H8.2 is closer *than the Ei.XX* to reference, though I would stop short of calling it *flat* across all frequencies.

I was playing a mix of my usual vocalist test tracks and percussive tracks back and forth. H8.2 brings the vocals more prominently in the mix, whereas Ei.XX has a stronger bass response and thus vocals sound more recessed. Depending on the track, there would be my concern that the bass frequencies on Ei.XX sound like it intrudes into the vocal midrange.

Yet the Ei.XX is not without its merits. In addition to a stronger bass response which one may prefer depending on music preferences, the sub-bass presence is also more refined,

An example being my FLAC rip of Eagles' "Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over album. Now I know this is used as a test track for as long as hell does not freeze over (sorry, lame attempt at joke here), but my FLAC rip is the *uncompressed* (no dynamic range compression) mix of the DVD Special Tour edition. At the start of the track the percussion sounds actually linger in the air via the sub-bass portions of the percussion. This percussive sub-bass decay is brought out by the Ei.XX (and also my 64 Audio A8) but less so in the H8.2.

Yet on vocals -- I usually use James Ingram for male vocals, Linda Ronstadt for female vocals -- there is the refinement I appreciate on H8.2.

Hope these additional impressions help clarify. Enjoy the music!

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,339 of 4,065
Very good post @tkteo, thank you!

It made me think of something obvious to me that I didn't write : in my vocabulary, the expression "more of a reference sound or is it still quite musical" doesn't mean better.

Some are after a fun sound, some after analytical, so on so forth. So in my book "reference" really isn't a measure of "merit".

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3,340 of 4,065

Yet on vocals -- I usually use James Ingram for male vocals, Linda Ronstadt for female vocals -- there is the refinement I appreciate on H8.2.

Hope these additional impressions help clarify. Enjoy the music!

"Somewhere Out There" must be your dream song. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,341 of 4,065

"Somewhere Out There" must be your dream song. 
biggrin.gif

Linda Ronstadt's two duets with Aaron Neville too: "All My Life" and "Don't Know Much".

Overall James Ingram "The Power of Great Music" and Ronstadt/Neville "Cry Like a Rainstorm Howl Like the Wind" are among my fave pop vocalist recordings.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #3,343 of 4,065
Lemme try some jazz, classical, rock and metal. Before I offer more impressions.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #3,344 of 4,065
  Linda Ronstadt's two duets with Aaron Neville too: "All My Life" and "Don't Know Much".

Overall James Ingram "The Power of Great Music" and Ronstadt/Neville "Cry Like a Rainstorm Howl Like the Wind" are among my fave pop vocalist recordings.

"Power of Great Music"... I have it on cassette! Shows my age lol. Awe-inspiring album. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back