New - Cowon Plenue S
Feb 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #242 of 1,158
Well, as much as I hate to admit it I stand corrected 
rolleyes.gif

I'm surprised, I heard from multiple sources that the Plenue S and Hifiman have different settings. But it's excellent news for me.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #244 of 1,158
Haha ok man 
beerchug.gif

Well the area in which the sub-bass hits in space is more controlled and defined, so it tightens the stage less; the imaging is so precise, it feels like where instruments before were 'hanging in space', they are now static in their position; just a more precise location in the field. Especially the black space between tones in seems more clearer, the layering in depth. The extremities upfront in the width are pushed further, it's so wide! I know this all sounds a bit exaggerated but it's really something. I just let my housemate listen for a half hour and he came back mindblown as well. And this is all still with the Velvet, basically a midtier iem. But it feels more precise than $2100 Zeus at the moment, which was a new level of imaging in its own right (although the Velvet is a very spacious iem). 

I just tested the 901S balanced; the imaging of the Plenue S feels slightly more precise - but the stage is a great deal more spacious. 

I recently sent two cables back to have their connectors switched between mmcx and 2-pin, I'm thinking of having them reterminated to balanced as well if it's possible. If not I might start discriminating between balanced and non-balanced cables 
rolleyes.gif

But you have a 3.5 trrs cable for the ZX2 right? You should try it sometime if you can demo it. I would love to hear someone else's impressions.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #245 of 1,158
Haha ok man :beerchug:

Well the area in which the sub-bass hits in space is more controlled and defined, so it tightens the stage less; the imaging is so precise, it feels like where instruments before were 'hanging in space', they are now static in their position; just a more precise location in the field. Especially the black space between tones in seems more clearer, the layering in depth. The extremities upfront in the width are pushed further, it's so wide! I know this all sounds a bit exaggerated but it's really something. I just let my housemate listen for a half hour and he came back mindblown as well. And this is all still with the Velvet, basically a midtier iem. But it feels more precise than $2100 Zeus at the moment, which was a new level of imaging in its own right (although the Velvet is a very spacious iem). 

I just tested the 901S balanced; the imaging of the Plenue S feels slightly more precise - but the stage is a great deal more spacious. 

I recently sent two cables back to have their connectors switched between mmcx and 2-pin, I'm thinking of having them reterminated to balanced as well if it's possible. If not I might start discriminating between balanced and non-balanced cables :rolleyes:

But you have a 3.5 trrs cable for the ZX2 right? You should try it sometime if you can demo it. I would love to hear someone else's impressions.

Could you give me some more impressions of the hifiman 901s VS. the plenue S? I am deciding exactly between these two players but in Hong Kong there isn't any store selling both players, so direct comparison is not possible.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #246 of 1,158
Haha ok man :beerchug:

I recently sent two cables back to have their connectors switched between mmcx and 2-pin, I'm thinking of having them reterminated to balanced as well if it's possible. If not I might start discriminating between balanced and non-balanced cables :rolleyes:

Thank you for your impression

Yeah, I do have zx2 with silver TRRS cable, and I would love to, but I have no access to it at the moment, and no desire to buy it yet just due to the lack of wireless functionality.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #247 of 1,158
Could you give me some more impressions of the hifiman 901s VS. the plenue S? I am deciding exactly between these two players but in Hong Kong there isn't any store selling both players, so direct comparison is not possible.
DMA has all Hifiman daps to demo, 20 steps you can go to Lets Go Audio and you can demo the S and P1, 30 steps you can demo the S again. Location above Wan Chai MTR station.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #248 of 1,158

DMA has all Hifiman daps to demo, 20 steps you can go to Lets Go Audio and you can demo the S and P1, 30 steps you can demo the S again. Location above Wan Chai MTR station.

Well there you have it, looks like my work is done. I'm jealous of you guys man. You don't even need my impressions 
wink.gif

The 901S and Plenue S are really very different. The 901S is crystal clear, with little to no inherent warmth. What it sacrifices in warmth, it gains in transparency and resolution. Notes are slightly leaner, but very forward and stimulating. The 901S embodies digital precision; 'digital' has a negative connotation, but it sets a high standard for technical ability that is hard to overcome once you're used to it.

The Plenue S is warmer and darker, with a more midecentric signature while the 901S is more tuned to the higher frequencies. Because of the smoother treble and darker background, resolution and transparency is not as great as the 901S. The Plenue S has a more coherent stage, being wider while the 901S is taller. In accordance with its signature and EQ, the Plenue S has thicker notes and more bass when EQ'ed. 

Concerning resolution and transparency the 901S is better; in imaging and stage the Plenue S is better esp. balanced. Both have outstanding dynamics, but the Plenue S has better L/R separation.

The 901S has a world class performance that's hard to beat. But because of its wallcharger, UI and shape from the '80's, I only use it at home so it effectively gets 10%-20% of my listening time. I used to use the P1 on the go, and now the Plenue S. So if I'd have to choose one I wouldn't think 2 secs about it. But I do most of my listening out of the house.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #249 of 1,158
Well there you have it, looks like my work is done. I'm jealous of you guys man. You don't even need my impressions :wink:

The 901S and Plenue S are really very different. The 901S is crystal clear, with little to no inherent warmth. What it sacrifices in warmth, it gains in transparency and resolution. Notes are slightly leaner, but very forward and stimulating. The 901S embodies digital precision; 'digital' has a negative connotation, but it sets a high standard for technical ability that is hard to overcome once you're used to it.

The Plenue S is warmer and darker, with a more midecentric signature while the 901S is more tuned to the higher frequencies. Because of the smoother treble and darker background, resolution and transparency is not as great as the 901S. The Plenue S has a more coherent stage, being wider while the 901S is taller. In accordance with its signature and EQ, the Plenue S has thicker notes and more bass when EQ'ed. 

Concerning resolution and transparency the 901S is better; in imaging and stage the Plenue S is better esp. balanced. Both have outstanding dynamics, but the Plenue S has better L/R separation.

The 901S has a world class performance that's hard to beat. But because of its wallcharger, UI and shape from the '80's, I only use it at home so it effectively gets 10%-20% of my listening time. I used to use the P1 on the go, and now the Plenue S. So if I'd have to choose one I wouldn't think 2 secs about it. But I do most of my listening out of the house.

Now THAT was helpful, great! Is the UI really that disastrous on the hifiman?
Thank you very much, in that case the plenue seems to be the better choice since I love a full and present base.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #250 of 1,158

Well there you have it, looks like my work is done. I'm jealous of you guys man. You don't even need my impressions 
wink.gif

can i ask in a blind test would u distinguish the s from the p1

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #251 of 1,158
It's not frustrating in the sense that it doesn't make sense or so, but the scroll wheel doesn't go very fast through your library so if you're looking for an album in the middle of the pack it can take a minute. It's pretty far from the ipod sensitivity. As I live in Amsterdam I cycle a great deal, and there's no way you're going to look for a different track with one hand while focusing on the road using the heavy 901S :)

Again, in SQ alone I think the 901S is prob in the top 3, maybe top 5 best daps. But the whole package of the Plenue S, and its stage balanced, is just a great deal easier to live with if you can only choose one. Non balanced the 901S wins in performance though.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #252 of 1,158
901s also has balanced amp card right ? But you sound with similar taste to mine. I love details, clarity, smoothness, soundstage, and musicality....I despite those only offer clarity and spaces that I can pick out each chords, plays, plucks....but no flows continuity lol..

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #253 of 1,158
Yes I also have the balanced card, but I used the minibox most of the time. Because of the 901S' clearer background and better treble extension, it is the more detailed dap; it provides clarity in the pure sense of the word. It's digital precision doesn't necessarily mean it's not musical though, because it is very forward and stimulating; really 'exciting' in terms of its presentation.

The P1 and S are smoother though, the warm and dark atmosphere has the allure of classy jazz nightclub with the lights turned down if that makes any sense. Despite that the Plenue S doesn't have the clarity of the 901S, it does have very good lower harmonics; the chords and plucks etc., but it is from a warmer atmosphere so not very much 'in your face', although it is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back