New - Cowon Plenue S
Feb 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #226 of 1,158
so can u tell me is the s more musical than the p1

which has more lower end punch

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #227 of 1,158
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #228 of 1,158
Buy his P1. His is the Dutch guy.

immediatley after i sell my ak380 i will buy the p1 or s

i just gotta sell my ak380 despite they improved the eq in ak380 with the latest firmware upgrade, but still i can not justifiy keeping it as its so expensive 

i really wished i bought the p1 or s instead of the ak380

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #230 of 1,158
Looking forward to your impressions of the Cowon. I've always found them to be intriguing with their amazing EQ abilities.

gotta sell my ak380 and amp first though

although with the latest firmware upgrade the eq in ak380 really improved, but its too expensive to keep for me

i also bought the adel u12 for only 950 usd can u believe that from a rich guy who thought they are too bassy for him :wink:

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #232 of 1,158
What didn't you like about the AK380?

its more related to the amp than the ak380 itself as it does not drive my oppo pm1 well, so it was more related to full size headphones expectations, while my headstage arrow 5tx drives my oppo pm1 so well, so the disalike was more related to the amp and full size headphones, but with iems it was good excpet the sony xba z5 which is a mystery to me why i do not work well with the ak380 and amp. But with my u12 man i barely even can go above 85 in volume and its a great synergy

then came the point that really angered me up until today which was at first when i bought the ak380 i was so put off by its eq, i felt i am not getting the dialed in frequencies adjustments espesially in the low end, and i even opened a thread addressing the bad eq in ak380, and just today there was this firmware update and the eq really really improved by a big margin.

so right now my complains are not like before, i was surprised a firmware update can change things like this, but i can not keep this expensive dap and amp anymore, so i prefer to sell and buy the cowon s or p1

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #233 of 1,158
Oh you better believe it, the software and it coded algorithm can dramatically affect the sound quality. I have said this too many times, the one that read and puzzles up the whole pictures from raw data is the (app, software, firmware) before it get into physical realm of processing and converting :)

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #234 of 1,158
I have Plenue M and is amazing, wins hands down over AK100II (which I also have). Sound quality and EQ is unbelievable, customisation is endless. Just love it. I'm thinking now about getting Plenue S.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #235 of 1,158
I heard the plenue S, along with the P1 and the AK320 today. It was quite clear that plenue S > AK 320, because the sound spectrum is just much wider and clearer. The AK is better if your focus is on vocals though. I felt that high voices were slightly sharper and more outstanding on the AK. Now the question was whether plenue S or P1. To be honest after half an hour of comparison I couldn't figure out which one to pick because the sound was just too similar. In the end there were like 1-2 situations in which the plenue S was a bit clearer and broader but that does totally not justify the price difference. Up to now I only listened to the music the store had - I'll go back with my own high res choice, since there was nothing demanding a strong and full base. Maybe this will separate the players a bit more.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #236 of 1,158
I heard the plenue S, along with the P1 and the AK320 today. It was quite clear that plenue S > AK 320, because the sound spectrum is just much wider and clearer. The AK is better if your focus is on vocals though. I felt that high voices were slightly sharper and more outstanding on the AK. Now the question was whether plenue S or P1. To be honest after half an hour of comparison I couldn't figure out which one to pick because the sound was just too similar. In the end there were like 1-2 situations in which the plenue S was a bit clearer and broader but that does totally not justify the price difference. Up to now I only listened to the music the store had - I'll go back with my own high res choice, since there was nothing demanding a strong and full base. Maybe this will separate the players a bit more.

Between s and P, you couldn't decide on the pricing alone ? If sounds are almost equal

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #238 of 1,158
So last night I tried a SilverFi IEM2 cable balanced for Hifiman on the Plenue S. It didn't work single ended - I only heard sound in one ear. But it does work balanced - and how. The soundstage is not only more spacious, the precision within the soundstage is of a different level. The imaging, layering, depth percpetion, and air between the instruments is simply amazing. The difference is more than subtle; it's addictive. It's taking the Velvet to Zeus levels of imaging. I've been listening mainly with the Velvet because of synergy issues of the IEM2 cable, it works better with brighter iems.

In fact, this morning I sent an emergency email to have the two other cables I have coming in terminated to balanced as well. I personally think it's that good. If you're looking for the biggest difference with the P1 it's here, although I find the S overall better in dynamics and articulation if you listen critically. 

That being said, it's still very strange the Hifiman balanced cable works as the schematics are different. Plenue S is + + - -, Hifiman is + - + -. But it works so I'm not complaining. It does partially explain why the Plenue S doesn't take it single ended, although it's still a mystery to me.

I'm having two cables terminated for the Plenue S, I'm just hoping the 901S will either take them single ended or balanced. The other will be terminated according to the 901S since that seems to work.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #240 of 1,158
Seriously, what kind of questions are these. No I've been listening to a wrongly terminated cable the whole time that happens to work on the Hifiman 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back