New - Cowon Plenue S
Feb 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #211 of 1,158
now that the S has been available for sale in the UK for couple of weeks and also (I think) Australia does anyone know of a review which isn't a translation from Korean? I really like my P1 and would buy this if there was a noticeable SQ improvement vs. P1 and also what extent, if any, the better amp brings. I use the P1 with se846 for travel and LCD-X for home and the P1 drives both of these to the volume I want (in the volume setting range between 90 and 105 - though I recognise the Jet7/BBE settings which I think are invaluable are another way of increasing the volume).

anyone?

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #212 of 1,158
I got mine today and have a minor question:

Mine is functioning normally so far but while the manual said the battery indicator LED will goes green when the it is fully charged. Yet mine just turn from red (charging) to a rather yellow LED (charged), may any other owner can share if your led will go yellow or really a green one? Or perhaps the green the manual mention is actually a very very yellowish one?

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #215 of 1,158
Hey Vincent I was charging it pretty much all day yesterday, but the light didn't change from red. At some point I had to leave and take it with me, I'm not sure if it really wasn't completely full or it just stayed on red. I'll pay attention to it and get back to you sometime.

@lgreen666 I've been busy moving to my new place all weekend and don't even have a desk to type on at the moment - but I have done some A/B'ing a bit last week and will get back to this later.

I also have a balanced cable coming in about two weeks.

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #216 of 1,158

Never mind. Looks pretty green 
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #220 of 1,158
  Hey Vincent I was charging it pretty much all day yesterday, but the light didn't change from red. At some point I had to leave and take it with me, I'm not sure if it really wasn't completely full or it just stayed on red. I'll pay attention to it and get back to you sometime.

@lgreen666 I've been busy moving to my new place all weekend and don't even have a desk to type on at the moment - but I have done some A/B'ing a bit last week and will get back to this later.

I also have a balanced cable coming in about two weeks.

very much look forward to what you think

where did you get your balanced cable from - I'm not that good on cables but I thought Plenue S implementation of balanced cable was sort of 'non standard'?

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #222 of 1,158
The Plenue S is more of an evolution of the P1, than a different sounding unit. It would be an understatement to say they sound similar - in general tonality they are dead even. This means the Plenue S has a slightly warm and dark signature with attenuated mid/upper treble that gives it a smooth, midcentric sound with thicker notes and an overall very musical presentation. 

While it may have the same general sound as the P1, the improvement is in its technical ability; more specifically note articulation, dynamics and micro resolution. What this means is that overall there isn't more detail presentation, due to the same dark rather than bright background; but individual notes are articulated more clearly, with more detail in nuances such as chords or vocals. In addition decay is quicker; the S is quick and precise and can match the 901S in this regard. The Plenue S bests the 901S in left / right separation; this might seem like something trivial but differences in volume and speed really stand out, and aid in overall separation and sense of dynamics. It really seems like left and right are two different worlds - in a good way.

In comparison to the 901S, the Plenue S isn't particular sparkly or transparent unit due to the smooth upper frequencies. But the Plenue S is more coherent sounding with a very musical presentation. Compared to both the 901S and P1, the Plenue S' stage seems a bit more spacious (although less airy than the 901S), with greater depth to the presentation. But I need to do more listening to confirm this. Overall it is technically very capable, but not very upfront in its detail presentation do the darker background. 

Listening was done mainly with Zeus and S-EM9.

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #223 of 1,158
  very much look forward to what you think

where did you get your balanced cable from - I'm not that good on cables but I thought Plenue S implementation of balanced cable was sort of 'non standard'?

I have the Rhapsodio 'Rose' Copper Litz 8-strand balanced mmcx coming for the S-EM9 / EM32. Yes unfortunately, it has a different phasing than the 901S balanced so even though they are both 3.5 mm trrs I won't be able to use them on the same player. I don't really know if there's a standard, I can only think of the Hifiman players and ZX2 that use 3.5 mm trrs.

I'm just going to see if the 901S at least takes it single ended, and if balanced is a big enough improvement on the Plenue S. If so I might have other cables reterminated or a different new one coming in terminated to balanced as well. I wasn't very impressed with the 901S balanced out to be honest so don't want to crazy on it immediately..

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #224 of 1,158
I am also finding a 3.5mm balanced cable for my fitear, what a headache and perhaps need to ask for builder to make one by referring the page on the manual, hope that would works..

but currently very satisfied with the SQ. My english might not be good enough to illustrate but agreed the with the impression above, and the music from PS is much more moving IMHO than my previous AK240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back