New Cowon Plenue L
Mar 24, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #211 of 668
It depends on your taste and more important that is the design of the circuit related to the dac chips. It looks like the balanced 4.4 output is more popular nowadays besides the 2.5 that A&K still keeps. My 2 cents.
On the go my expensive 2.5 connections will get loose. Also the 2.5 bends easily.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #212 of 668
It depends on your taste and more important that is the design of the circuit related to the dac chips. It looks like the balanced 4.4 output is more popular nowadays besides the 2.5 that A&K still keeps. My 2 cents.
Yes, I liked the SP1000M, but 2.5mm is no go for me. I am aware that the circuit design is more or at least as important as the chip itself, but still, so far, I found the sound not to my taste

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #213 of 668
Yes, I liked the SP1000M, but 2.5mm is no go for me. I am aware that the circuit design is more or at least as important as the chip itself, but still, so far, I found the sound too bright.

You mean the SPKM sound is too bright for your taste? I have heard it sounds warmer than SPK. Maybe that is the reason the SR15 is more popular. Sorry for derailing the purpose of this thread!

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #214 of 668
You mean the SPKM sound is too bright for your taste? I have heard it sounds warmer than SPK. Maybe that is the reason the SR15 is more popular. Sorry for derailing the purpose of this thread!
No, the SPKM sounded very good! But it has no 4.4mm. I did not like the SR15, my Plenue M2 sounds much better... I was talking about ESxxxxx chips implementation and the fact I did not like any device having that chip so far... yes, back to L :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #215 of 668
No, the SPKM sounded very good! But it has no 4.4mm. I did not like the SR15, my Plenue M2 sounds much better than it... I was talking about ESxxxxx chips implementation and the fact I did like not any device having that chip so far... yes, back to L :wink:
Guess you like the Burr Brown sound, closer to a analog sound than a digital sound from other dacs. Well the L, eventhough its not a Burr Brown dac, it has the Cowon sound.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #216 of 668
Guess you like the Burr Brown sound, closer to a analog sound than a digital sound from other dacs. Well the L, eventhough its not a Burr Brown dac, it has the Cowon sound.
Yes, I also have Sony ZX300 and like it very much too. Now, I am looking for a hint more refinement in the sound signature, better layering, instrument separation and micro-details. I don't mind a less "analog" sound if I can get these improvements.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #217 of 668
Yes, I also have Sony ZX300 and like it very much too. Now, I am looking for a hint more refinement in the sound signature, better layering, instrument separation and micro-details. I don't mind a less "analog" sound if I can get these improvements.
Bingo the L is slightly more detailed, wider sound stage, more seperation than the M2 while still sounding like a Cowon.

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #218 of 668

This matter could happen to the modification of the original DAP. I have the Burr Brown in my home system but to refine its sound it had to be modified at least. :wink:

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #219 of 668
Bingo the L is slightly more detailed, wider sound stage, more seperation than the M2 while still sounding like a Cowon.
Thank you. I am pretty sure that the L is for me then

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #220 of 668
Nice, this dap can easily push my th900 extremely well through its 4.4. When at home I connect the Mass Kobo 4.4 balanced to the L. Does the 400 gig sd card fully work ?

Yes no problems with the 400 GB SD

Driving the Focal Elagia with ease from the SE (A new 4.4 wire has been ordered for those) Can't wait to try them balanced. Getting very nice results from the 4.4 with my 1964 U12's

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #221 of 668
Yes no problems with the 400 GB SD

Driving the Focal Elagia with ease from the SE (A new 4.4 wire has been ordered for those) Can't wait to try them balanced. Getting very nice results from the 4.4 with my 1964 U12's
Oo cool, so then I might put a 400 gig sd card.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #222 of 668
Thanks for the answer. Two additionnal questions:
1) how did you rip SACD? Via a computer or a dedicated device ? Ripping CD via my MacBook pro, but SACD I am not sure
2) I have a Cowon Plenue M2 (Burr Brown PCM1975 chip) - this DAP sounds better to me than a lot of the current offering on the market today, price no object. Do you, by any chance, owned the Plenue M2 before? How would you describe the sound of the L?

I paid a guy to rip my SACD's to DSD.

Sound is very detailed.

Soundstage really extends outside of the head and is provides a sharp distinct focused image.

Excellent layering and separation of instruments

My previous dap is the Plenue S

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #223 of 668
I paid a guy to rip my SACD's to DSD.

Sound is very detailed.

Soundstage really extends outside of the head and is provides a sharp distinct focused image.

Excellent layering and separation of instruments

My previous dap is the Plenue S
PS had a Burr Brown dac. P2 start of the non Burr Brown.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #225 of 668
Can anyone who's tried L or 2mkII comment on whether Cowon have solved the latency issue when using their DAP as a USB DAC w/ PC?
Also curious how the single end performs compared to a good quality single end output.

Quite like the S but curious if Cowon have improved on any of its frustrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back