New CORDA AMPS!
May 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 98
Shoot, just received the porta corda mkiii a few months ago. Still, I've been happy with it's performance. Can't wait to see what the Move does for portability.

I ordered mine this morning!

Just as well it's July - I need a portable USB amp before then...

May 24, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Is the amp in the Opera really that good or can one really tell because of the DAC? Is there any way to remove the DAC from the Opera to determine how the Amp itself sounds?...

I'm sure you can use the RCA inputs to bypass the DAC. Atleast with the Aria you can.

May 24, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A birdie told me the Cantate will be similar to the Opera without the DAC and a bit less powerful.

I would guess it is the exact same amplifier board and power supply.

My own guess is it will be around $600 rather than $700 if Jan is smart, and he is.

The compitition is the GS-1 in terms of sonics and price and without a head to head review, my guess is the Meier amp being psudo balanced should command a higher price.

I am waiting for an Opera but will want to try the Cantate as well.

Quote:

Well...if the fuzzy pic is any indication of the real thing, there is only 1 headphone jack so it looks like Jan did away with the higher impedance jack. That and the absence of the DAC should definitely drop the price quite a bit. Even still, at $600 for just the amp...seems pretty high. Is the amp in the Opera really that good or can one really tell because of the DAC? Is there any way to remove the DAC from the Opera to determine how the Amp itself sounds?

I know...too many questions....
tongue.gif

Based upon my ongoing audition of the Opera, yes the amp alone IS very good in testing my MHDT Labs DAC on analog input. This test also proved the Operas intergral DAC to be smoother in its HF extention and is more midrange prominent and the MHDT bass bias being quantifiably increased. However again, the quality of bass presentation goes to the Operas. A very revealing, powerfully dynamic amplifier, capable of micro detail without fatigue. A very clear window of the source and material played
wink.gif

I believe, the feedback would have Jan choose to increase the gain by 20% / 1.5dbs and only offer a low z jack and keep the unique (no drop in output dbs) crossfeed implemented offered perhaps @ the $850 mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will he do one of his introductory lower price releases?

Free shipping?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based upon my ongoing audition of the Opera, yes the amp alone IS very good in testing my MHDT Labs DAC on analog input. This test also proved the Operas intergral DAC to be smoother in its HF extention and is more midrange prominent and the MHDT bass bias being quantifiably increased. However again, the quality of bass presentation goes to the Operas. A very revealing, powerfully dynamic amplifier, capable of micro detail without fatigue. A very clear window of the source and material played
wink.gif

I believe, the feedback would have Jan choose to increase the gain by 20% / 1.5dbs and only offer a low z jack and keep the unique (no drop in output dbs) crossfeed implemented offered perhaps @ the $850 mark

Free shipping?

smily_headphones1.gif

Great! Now I want the Opera even more!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 98
Using various Photoshop image enhancing tools and sharpening filters, I have managed to present a closer look at the Corda Move:

movekx4.jpg

Hmm... It seems like there is some kind of picture on the top - compare with this image from the movie Sin City:

_samizdat19_sin-city-breve2.jpg

It would appear that the corda Move is actually the Corda Movie !!!!

Finally, an amp with video playback capability!

May 24, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using various Photoshop image enhancing tools and sharpening filters, I have managed to present a closer look at the Corda Move:

movekx4.jpg

Hmm... It seems like there is some kind of picture on the top - compare with this image from the movie Sin City:

_samizdat19_sin-city-breve2.jpg

Jessica Alba....mmmmm....yummy!

May 24, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #24 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using various Photoshop image enhancing tools and sharpening filters,...

Nice one! That's certainly a nice decal for a portable amp.

May 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 98
Just heard back on an email I sent Dr. Meier earlier today....

"The CANTATE will have an USB-DAC only.

No other details, sorry!

:)

Jan"

I'm going to wait on getting the Opera until this baby is released. Oh, the Humanity! July is soooo faaaaar aaaawaaaaaayyyy!

May 24, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 98
Quote:

Jessica Alba....mmmmm....yummy!

This is the first time I see subliminal publicity in an amplifier
smily_headphones1.gif
. Times are changing...

May 24, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #28 of 98
I actually do not need the USB DAC in the Cantate, but that's OK.

May 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #29 of 98
Quote:

The CANTATE will have an USB-DAC only.

Quote:

I actually do not need the USB DAC in the Cantate, but that's OK

If you are lucky the Cantate won´t get one. Jan Meier showed the Corda Move and Corda Cantate already on the headphone meet in Duesseldorf, Germany. The Cantate was basically a Opera without DAC and pre-out. ´Cause Jan Meier justs came out with the Opera Analog, he may added an USB-DAC to the Cantate. In this way he could offer three type of Cordas with balanced ground.

Maybe the Opera Analog are already sould out untill the Cantate come out and then the Cantate will replace the Opera Analog. And therefor woun´t get an DAC.

May 24, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 98
Well I will hope for that. I'd like to upgrade my Aria to balanced ground since it works so well in the Opera, but where my Aria is I don't have need or use for a USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back