NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jan 8, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,416 of 3,483
The Atlas can be a finicky IEM to get a good seal with without "pressure locking" in the ear, but once you do, the sound is more than worth it.

I use the CustomArt silicone custom tips on my Atlas and Solaris, as I find they are the best balanced and also the best fit (as you'd expect from custom moulded tips) - Spiral Dots are a close second.

Just FYI, Caleb at Campfire is one of the main guys there involved in the build and design of the models, along with Ken Ball - they are only about 15-16 people in total, so if you got a reply from Caleb it's no wonder it's detailed! :wink:

That's interesting! Calebs response indicated that it probably isn't a fit issue as the problem persists when I swap the side I insert into. So it goes from right to left etc.

Either way really comforted and a little bit blown away by the initial support I have recieved from both the retailer Hifi Headphones as well as Campfire Audio plus from the community!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,417 of 3,483
Hello.
I just got comet. Question, What's good pairing dap with Comet?

The Comet is warm enough that something a bit dry helps keep it in balance. To me the ESS based daps (Fiio X7 or Pioneer 300) are a good pairing.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #2,419 of 3,483
What do you guys think in terms of reliability of the Atlas, because of the driver flex? will it have a long life even with this problem? What is the normal life time of an iem with this kind of phenomenon? this is still the only thing i am worried about buying it or not.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #2,420 of 3,483
What do you guys think in terms of reliability of the Atlas, because of the driver flex? will it have a long life even with this problem? What is the normal life time of an iem with this kind of phenomenon? this is still the only thing i am worried about buying it or not.

This has been addressed by Ken ball as well as other iem designers who have used dynamic drivers. All these dynamic drivers are designed to flex (my understanding is it is actually a mechanism to relieve excess pressure differnecial across the driver thereby protecting the driver) and that doing so has no impact on the durability or longevity of the driver. Many on these forums have questioned this, and intuitively (from the sound of nothing else) it feels like it could cause problems over time, but we have seen manufacturer after manufacturer say that driver flex does not hurt the driver. It’s a feature, not a bug and I’m inclined to believe them, even if I still cringe a little whenever it happens.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #2,422 of 3,483
Just another vote for trying one size down from what's your norm.

I usually use Spiral Dots in "ML". Just discovered the other day that "M", which is usually too small for me, is the right fit for me with the Atlas.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #2,423 of 3,483
This has been addressed by Ken ball as well as other iem designers who have used dynamic drivers. All these dynamic drivers are designed to flex (my understanding is it is actually a mechanism to relieve excess pressure differnecial across the driver thereby protecting the driver) and that doing so has no impact on the durability or longevity of the driver. Many on these forums have questioned this, and intuitively (from the sound of nothing else) it feels like it could cause problems over time, but we have seen manufacturer after manufacturer say that driver flex does not hurt the driver. It’s a feature, not a bug and I’m inclined to believe them, even if I still cringe a little whenever it happens.
Thank you sorrick for your opinion greatly appreciated :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,424 of 3,483
I’ve been using spiral dots and RHAs silicon tips with my Comets since I got them and I have to say that a size smaller than usual works really well for me. That was until today when I received a set of Symbio MandarinEs and all I can say is I think they may have de-throned the JVCs as my go to tips for the Comet. They sound similar, but just feel a little more secure in my ears. Same wide bore and nice detailed sound, but they just keep the treble that little bit more detailed than foams while allowing the mids and bass to do their thing perfectly.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2,425 of 3,483
The Comet is warm enough that something a bit dry helps keep it in balance. To me the ESS based daps (Fiio X7 or Pioneer 300) are a good pairing.

Pairs really nicely with the HiBy r3 also.
I’m finding a balanced silver plated copper cable and MandarinEs tips are a great match up too.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,426 of 3,483
Hi. What size do I need to get from Victor JVC spiral earpieces? Do this earpiece fits comet?

They fit the Comet no problem at all.
I find a size smaller than usual works for me, as it seems to for most people on head-fi. You might also want to look at Rha, MandarinEs and Final audio tips too.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #2,428 of 3,483
Just another vote for trying one size down from what's your norm.

I usually use Spiral Dots in "ML". Just discovered the other day that "M", which is usually too small for me, is the right fit for me with the Atlas.
Me too exactly

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,429 of 3,483
Me too exactly

many of us have found that the Comet and Atlas require a size smaller tips. I use the Shure Olives in Medium on the Comets and use large on almost everything else I own.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,430 of 3,483
IMG_20190110_194540317.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back