NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,162 of 3,483
My Atlas with custom tips from Amplifon.com in Switzerland, no more worries about fit :)

9938838_l.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,165 of 3,483
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #2,168 of 3,483
No driver flex issues with my custom tips, perfect sealing and amazing sound.

For my Campfire Vegas I ordered customs tips from custom art : https://thecustomart.com/shop/silicone-products/custom-iem-tips/

Oh, excellent. That encourages me to go for them. Excuse the noob question: custom tips are not the same as "custom molds", right? I mean, you cannot detach a custom tip from the IEM once it's done but you CAN detach a "custom mold" from the IEM anytime you want, is this correct?

I'm asking in case I would like to sell the Atlas in the future, for I couldn't do it unless I ordered custom molds, does it work this way?

Correct me if I'm wrong but yours look like custom molds, if they are detachable. I'm a bit confused, sorry. :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,170 of 3,483
Oh, excellent. That encourages me to go for them. Excuse the noob question: custom tips are not the same as "custom molds", right? I mean, you cannot detach a custom tip from the IEM once it's done but you CAN detach a "custom mold" from the IEM anytime you want, is this correct?

I'm asking in case I would like to sell the Atlas in the future, for I couldn't do it unless I ordered custom molds, does it work this way?

Correct me if I'm wrong but yours look like custom molds, if they are detachable. I'm a bit confused, sorry. :)
Custom tips are removable eartips that are custom made to the shape of your ears. You need to get custom molds of your ears done by an audiologist and send those molds to whoever is making the tips and those molds are what he uses to make the tips. The tips then go over the nozzle of the atlas and are removable just like the tips that come with the atlas, except they are custom to your ears so they should fit better.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,171 of 3,483
Stopped by CA at RMAF, I absolutely loved the Atlas. I thought I read it was a bass head IEM. I didn't think it was heavy bass at all. Just adequate and very clear without muddying anything. I really enjoyed the demo. Someone said AndromedaS was the thing to check there. I tried with foam tips, I must not have sealed correctly but I hated them. Anemic, no bass, tinny, but the foam expanded and I thought it was sealed. Gave up on those. Anyways I understand the Atlas love now and they're easy to recommend. Excellent IEM... One of my favorite things from my brief couple hours I could check a few things there...

I was at Rmaf as this weekend too and stopped by the CA to check out the Atlas. I must admit, I'm a bass head and I absolutely love the bass on the atlas. I did quite an extensive AB with the Vega and ended up going for the atlas. Picked it up there and I couldn't be happier. Thing is amazing. I think what did it for me is the bass is so nice but to my ears doesn't corrupt the high frequencies. To me it sounded so much more crisp than the Vega.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #2,172 of 3,483
I recently received my atlas and they have been pretty sibilant out of the box. Even after about 50 hours of burn in they're still sibilant, which is weird because all of the reviews I've read have read raved about the smoothness and non-silibance of the Atlas's treble. It's toned down and bearable with the final tips, probably because of the smaller bore, but sounds more closed in and less airy than the regular silicone ones. Does anyone else have this problem?

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,173 of 3,483
I recently received my atlas and they have been pretty sibilant out of the box. Even after about 50 hours of burn in they're still sibilant, which is weird because all of the reviews I've read have read raved about the smoothness and non-silibance of the Atlas's treble. It's toned down and bearable with the final tips, probably because of the smaller bore, but sounds more closed in and less airy than the regular silicone ones. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm not getting that with mine. Give me an example track where it's showing up and I check on mine.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,174 of 3,483
I was at Rmaf as this weekend too and stopped by the CA to check out the Atlas. I must admit, I'm a bass head and I absolutely love the bass on the atlas. I did quite an extensive AB with the Vega and ended up going for the atlas. Picked it up there and I couldn't be happier. Thing is amazing. I think what did it for me is the bass is so nice but to my ears doesn't corrupt the high frequencies. To me it sounded so much more crisp than the Vega.

As a basshead I'm happy with the Atlas too, but only after EQing in significant increase under 80hz, I'm fiddling between 3.5db-7db increases still.

Not that I'm aware of, any particular tracks?

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,175 of 3,483

Hey Timetochill,

The Atlas is the least likely to be equated to being "sibilant" so something is not right here. First lets define "sibilant" so we can go over the possible causes.

Sibilant (or Sibilance) - "Essy", exaggerated "s" or "sh" sounds in vocals. Sibilant sounds carry most of their energy through the 4Khz to 8Khz range, but can extend to 10kHz, depending on the individual. Sibilance is often heard on radio.

I hear a sss or sh anything as being peaky and hot, so exaggerated Sh or SS.

#1 Case would be a poor seal in your ear, so your ear tips are leaking air = not air tight. If your have even a pin hole leak in your ear tips you will lose a lot of low end bass and the whole system will sound thin and hot. You need to make 100% sure your ear tips have a good solid air tight fit. The best IEM in the world will sound like absolute crap if you do not have a air tight fit. Please experiment with all your tips and pressure of the IEM in your ear so your are certain that you have a air tight fit. SUPER IMPORTANT. If you have a lot of ear hairs in the canal, so ear hairs in between your tip and skin this can cause a leak.

#2 Switch to a foam tip, silicone tips I do not like. I can take a silicone tip and measure it and then take the exact same IEM and measure it with a foam tip and the high frequency will be totally different. The silicone tip will have a narrow and tall FREQ curve, sharp spike like freq. A foam tip typically generates a much wider and less tall peak = softer and more extended peak. Works the other way as well, if you have a IEM that is too dark, use a silicone tip.

#3 Impedance mismatch, try a different source. I think this is unlikely.

#4 Your Atlas is out of spec

#5 You have extreme sensitivity to the resonance peak the Atlas has inherent.

If you think #4 I am happy to receive it and put on my AP audio analyzer to see if this is the case. We really want you to be happy.

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back