NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Nov 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #3,046 of 3,483
I am loving the original V1 JVC Spiral Dot tips with the Atlas and I have some Spiral Dot++ on order.

The Atlas comes with a great silver litz cable, but it is single ended and my Lotoo PAW Gold Touch has a 4.4mm balanced out. I bought the Fiio LC-4.4D, also a silver litz cable, and removed the heatshrink overmolding. It does not sound like a downgrade with the Atlas; it should be a good upgrade for the Comet.

I will probably get something fancier and longer at some point (1.5M FTW) but this is a nice silver cable for $90. Not sure what DAP you are using, but you can also get a standard 3.5mm plug or 2.5mm balanced plug.

As shipped with heatshrink:

Heatshrink removed and worn down:

Nice one!

Mind sharing how you remove the heat shrinks on the FIIO silver cable? Also, does the earbuds still stay fitted without falling out when wore over the ears?

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,047 of 3,483
Nice one!

Mind sharing how you remove the heat shrinks on the FIIO silver cable? Also, does the earbuds still stay fitted without falling out when wore over the ears?

Thanks.

I used a pair of small sharp scissors to make a 1cm cut and then pealed it back to the earpiece. It takes a long slow pull to get the final bit out from under the plastic MMCX molding. There are two layers of heat shrink that you have to remove. For sure this voids the warranty, so do it carefully.

It fits better over the ear after you remove the heat shrink. You can get the ideal angle of insertion. My tips are fitting well so the Atlas stays in fine. I wear the Atlas down when seated, i.e. kicking back to enjoy the music. I go over ears when walking.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #3,048 of 3,483
I used a pair of small sharp scissors to make a 1cm cut and then pealed it back to the earpiece. It takes a long slow pull to get the final bit out from under the plastic MMCX molding. There are two layers of heat shrink that you have to remove. For sure this voids the warranty, so do it carefully.

It fits better over the ear after you remove the heat shrink. You can get the ideal angle of insertion. My tips are fitting well so the Atlas stays in fine. I wear the Atlas down when seated, i.e. kicking back to enjoy the music. I go over ears when walking.

@cooperpwc many thanks mate!

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #3,050 of 3,483
Atlas vs z1r vs anole in terms of sub bass and modern bass quantity?

Don't have the anole, but compared to the z1r, atlas feels bassier overall, while the z1r likely extends deeper into the subbass and has a very rumbly feeling.

I haven't done any direct comparisons since getting the z1r though so I will have to go back and check soon.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #3,051 of 3,483
Hi folks,
Just got my Campfire Audio Comets this last Wednesday. Really enjoying them so far. The only thing I've noticed is that the supplied cable is fairly microphonic when I'm moving about or walking, specifically from where the cable splits into each channel up to each IEM. So, I'm looking for an alternative cable with compatible MMCX connectors that is less microphonic. I'd prefer a Litz-type cable that still has an in-line mic, but non-Mic cables would work too. What about the Smokey Litz that comes with some of the other Campfire IEMs?
Recommendations welcome, thanks, gang.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #3,052 of 3,483
Has anyone heard the new Tin Audio t4? Its currently 89$ and uses a 10mm dynamic driver claiming to use some nano carbon technology (much like atlas). Supposed to sound punchy, engaging, and fairly colored. I just ordered a pair mostly for use at the gym.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #3,053 of 3,483
Hi folks,
Just got my Campfire Audio Comets this last Wednesday. Really enjoying them so far. The only thing I've noticed is that the supplied cable is fairly microphonic when I'm moving about or walking, specifically from where the cable splits into each channel up to each IEM. So, I'm looking for an alternative cable with compatible MMCX connectors that is less microphonic. I'd prefer a Litz-type cable that still has an in-line mic, but non-Mic cables would work too. What about the Smokey Litz that comes with some of the other Campfire IEMs?
Recommendations welcome, thanks, gang.

Tried a shirt clip for the cable? Agree that the cable is one of the down points on the comet. Could really do with a chin slider that goes up past the remote!

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,054 of 3,483
I use a less microphonic SPC litz cable than stock for my Comet. Still use shirt clip so that cables don't pull the IEMs as I wear them drop down rather than looping.

p9qosdjdq1k31.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,056 of 3,483
That's the Virtuoso SPC cable from their Vogue series. Its design is definitely made for Comet or even Atlas

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #3,057 of 3,483
Tried a shirt clip for the cable? Agree that the cable is one of the down points on the comet. Could really do with a chin slider that goes up past the remote!
I have one I can try, but 1) that would only solve the problem for one channel, and not the other, and 2) given how long the split part of the cable is coming up from the "Y", there's no place to actually attach the clip to the garment with respect to each channel's cable after it the split. Good suggestion, though, thanks.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,059 of 3,483
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3,060 of 3,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back