New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #826 of 1,276
I see that CA Liquid Carbon in your profile picture. I have one of those too. :wink:

When I came up with my user name here 16 years ago, I would never have thought how true it would be.
How does the liquid carbon compare to the V2+? I've always wanted to listen to Cavalli gear but have not had the opportunity. I put an order in for the first batch of the carbon but I wasn't patient enough to wait.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #827 of 1,276
This is ..the whole headphone audio thing, a true sickness. It obeys no laws of rational behavior.
I admire the people that continually buy and sell. Still somewhat irrational behavior based on the extremely small returns on (usually losses), but at least there is a balance sheet.

I just buy stuff, I am out of space and time to listen, but I still buy more. I do love the Liquid Carbon. I am not sure how I feel about the new Massdrop version for $300... but I will likely buy one...
I need a 12 steps group for audio addiction...:ksc75smile:

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #828 of 1,276
This is ..the whole headphone audio thing, a true sickness. It obeys no laws of rational behavior.
I admire the people that continually buy and sell. Still somewhat irrational behavior based on the extremely small returns on (usually losses), but at least there is a balance sheet.

I just buy stuff, I am out of space and time to listen, but I still buy more. I do love the Liquid Carbon. I am not sure how I feel about the new Massdrop version for $300... but I will likely buy one...
I need a 12 steps group for audio addiction...:ksc75smile:
Hey I think you've hit on a new niche in the human behavioral health profession. This could make you tons of money. You should start advertising at all of the Canjams and have a booth. 12 baby steps to a better life after audio addiction. Think "what about Bob"....

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #829 of 1,276
How does the liquid carbon compare to the V2+? I've always wanted to listen to Cavalli gear but have not had the opportunity. I put an order in for the first batch of the carbon but I wasn't patient enough to wait.

I can't do the comparison justice. I am an engineer, not a poet.
The V2+ is a complete package. The DAC is as good as I have. The amp has more power than the LC, but I have never run out of power with the LC.
The CV2+ made me very happy when I plugged it in for the first time. It has a completely different sound signature from the LC and any of the DACS that I connected to the LC.
The LC has this sound that is smooth yet detailed... slightly warm. Often called the Cavalli house sound. The CV2+ is ...again, hard for me to describe, but the bass is vast. The midrange a bit hotter, but pleasantly so.
It seems more open and maybe better sound field. I have been re-exploring music with the CV2+, and loving it, but that is typical with new gear for me.
I think the LC has made my HE 560 better than any other. The HEK V1 comes alive with the CV2+.
If you have specifics to ask... including what you want to use and the music you like, maybe I could formulate a better answer.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #830 of 1,276
I can't do the comparison justice. I am an engineer, not a poet.
The V2+ is a complete package. The DAC is as good as I have. The amp has more power than the LC, but I have never run out of power with the LC.
The CV2+ made me very happy when I plugged it in for the first time. It has a completely different sound signature from the LC and any of the DACS that I connected to the LC.
The LC has this sound that is smooth yet detailed... slightly warm. Often called the Cavalli house sound. The CV2+ is ...again, hard for me to describe, but the bass is vast. The midrange a bit hotter, but pleasantly so.
It seems more open and maybe better sound field. I have been re-exploring music with the CV2+, and loving it, but that is typical with new gear for me.
I think the LC has made my HE 560 better than any other. The HEK V1 comes alive with the CV2+.
If you have specifics to ask... including what you want to use and the music you like, maybe I could formulate a better answer.
I do IT for a living, so no sweat off my back. I appreciate the explanation. This makes me want to listen to the CA gear even more now. It's right down my listening alley.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #831 of 1,276
Sickness? My God, you aint kiddin brother.
I've been chasing the dragon, buying and selling equipment for my loudspeaker system for 21 years. I've had my bouts with drugs and alcohol but they pale in comparison to the stranglehold the madness of audio has taken upon me during that time. I've been fortunate having stoped buying and selling in that area of audio. Now in the past couple months I've jumped into headfi, buying the v2+ with HE 400i, and am awaiting delivery of a ZMF Atticus.

We laugh, but a support group isn't a bad idea.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #833 of 1,276
I can solder. When it comes to testing circuits I'm not so good. Scares the crap out of me when I get to doing it... When I had a LittleDot MK VI+ I purchased some cap and resistor upgrades for it that were recommended on Head-fi. After I got the parts I started reading some how tos on the upgrade an found a guy that killed his $900 LittleDot doing the same mod. I took it to my local electronics tech right away. That's a lot of money to flush down the toilet.

I owned the E12diy for a while. Not a bad amp. I rolled opamps into it. They made the case to small for a lot of the opamps that I wanted to try though. The muse opamps barely fit in there and were my favorite of the lot. Too bad the Burson discrete opamps didn't fit.
I had the E12diy version that fitted the Muse like a dream - didn't have any issue getting the case shut. Had quite a few opamp/buffer combos for that - stuck with the muse 02 and buff 634 in the end. Luckily the minimax had been butchered before I owned it (bought it and found out it had been messed around inside) so I wasn't so bothered about the consequences of it going wrong. End result it's a bit of an ugly circuit board, the caps barely fit but the sound makes up for it. I've blown a 4k amp in the past putting the wrong capacitor in a preamp - that was a steep learning curve.....

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #834 of 1,276
Sickness? My God, you aint kiddin brother.
I've been chasing the dragon, buying and selling equipment for my loudspeaker system for 21 years. I've had my bouts with drugs and alcohol but they pale in comparison to the stranglehold the madness of audio has taken upon me during that time. I've been fortunate having stoped buying and selling in that area of audio. Now in the past couple months I've jumped into headfi, buying the v2+ with HE 400i, and am awaiting delivery of a ZMF Atticus.

We laugh, but a support group isn't a bad idea.
I stopped when I worked out I had to earn enough money to support the addiction - I was okay on Mid-fi headphones (although my wife would laugh at that description and most friends would look ashen faced) but the summit-fi stuff now is just getting into completely insane money. Luckily I have a tolerant wife who so far has let me feed the addiction - the most I have ever spend on a headphone rig is 8.5k AUD but shortly after that I came back to my senses and went back to more sane levels otherwise it would have been divorce. I'm now happy with 5x pairs of headphones/the CV2+ - bonkers really....

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #835 of 1,276
I had the E12diy version that fitted the Muse like a dream - didn't have any issue getting the case shut. Had quite a few opamp/buffer combos for that - stuck with the muse 02 and buff 634 in the end. Luckily the minimax had been butchered before I owned it (bought it and found out it had been messed around inside) so I wasn't so bothered about the consequences of it going wrong. End result it's a bit of an ugly circuit board, the caps barely fit but the sound makes up for it. I've blown a 4k amp in the past putting the wrong capacitor in a preamp - that was a steep learning curve.....
4k is a very steep learning curve. Did you ever get it working again?

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #836 of 1,276
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #837 of 1,276
Sep 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #838 of 1,276
Clever Schiit.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #839 of 1,276
The V2+ has both pre out and analog input so that shouldn't be a problem.

But the dac section of V2+ cannot be used, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back