New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #796 of 1,276
Would you please give us some more information on this "boycott". I am far from an insider, but I do read quite a bit about the trade, and lots on HF. I had never heard of it. I am truly interested.

I'm not an insider either but I couldn't think of any logical explanation so far as to why this product has received just one online review in almost two years of existence, which came just a week ago. If "boycott" sounds a bit harsh to describe the situation then I'm also interested in opinions.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #797 of 1,276
Absolutely. I'll be brutally honest.
Can't wait, jerick. Looking forward to your comparison as well.

Agreed. Pse be as honest as possible. There is more than enough snake oil in this hobby already.

It also baffles me why the CV2+ is not covered by those review sites. Maybe Burson doesnt wanna pay up?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #798 of 1,276
I'm not an insider either but I couldn't think of any logical explanation so far as to why this product has received just one online review in almost two years of existence, which came just a week ago. If "boycott" sounds a bit harsh to describe the situation then I'm also interested in opinions.
Burson was thought very well of a few years back. I remember many head-fiers having Burson kit. Now it seems few and far between. You may be right about the boycott.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #799 of 1,276

Agreed. Pse be as honest as possible. There is more than enough snake oil in this hobby already.

It also baffles me why the CV2+ is not covered by those review sites. Maybe Burson doesnt wanna pay up?
I'm listening right now to Diana Krall's "Girl in the Other Room" album on the V2+. I'm using the V2+s Sabre DAC with ASIO driver in the Newest 64bit JRiver Media Center. The files are in DSD 64......

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #801 of 1,276
I don't have any theories. When I stated looking for reviews I found lots of reviews of previous versions. I mean lots of them on the two or three previous models. All of them were very positive. There are some lengthy threads on HF as well.
My original thought was that this may be due to the CV2 and plus not being all that new. They are sort of evolutions of the previous design. Even the DAC section is not cutting edge. In fact it is a bit dated now. In fact it was nothing particularly cutting edge evne when the CV2 was released.
Several people on this thread indicated that they thought the DAC needed to be updated to the newer ESS chips.

From my perspective it is fine as it is. It does everything that I want it to do, and sounds very, very nice to my ears. But admittedly, it is not cutting edge today. Perhaps the review writers need something with more glitz to attract readers?

I don't know. I would not have known anything about Burson had I not gotten into opamp rolling for the Gustard H10. Talking to Alex about their discrete opamps led me to talking about the Conductor. Based on their customer service and his description, I decided to buy one. This, even though I could not find any reviews of the current models.

As mentioned, I am sure glad I was led down this path. But if there is anything going on behind the scenes that would account for the lack of coverage of the current units, I am very interested to know what that might be.

I am also interested to see if this new "play" unit gets coverage. It is a quite novel idea about how to bring better audio to the PC. Maybe not great timing tho0ugh. PC sales continue to fall each year. Of course for a company the size of Burson, it won't mean much if they sell a few hundred thousand fewer PCs next year, as long as they can get sufficient penetration to make the development costs worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #802 of 1,276

Now I've switched the amp to my Woo WA5 and the DAC is the Burson Sabre.....

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #803 of 1,276
@omniweltall I have to say the Atticus and the V2+ sound very competent together. Not bad at all. There is some smearing with songs that have a lot of instruments playing at the same time, ie classical and pop. I've noticed this with other kit and the Atticus though. This is not limited to the V2+. If I switch the DAC to my MHDT Lab Atlantis this is greatly minimized. A thought may be that the glare from the Sabre DAC is effecting the clarity of the Atticus.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #804 of 1,276
Hi Guys,

Please be assured that no one in the audio industry is boycotting Burson Audio. : ) We are very grateful for the ongoing support from head-fi.org, online magazines, and bloggers around the world. But above all, we are grateful for all the support from fellow head-fiers and existing customers.

Around 18 months ago, we terminated the contract with our NY based PR firm and since then our effort in arranging reviews became less focused, to say the least. Instead of hiring another PR firm, and spending resources there, we have decided to focuse on product development and let our products and our happy customers do the PR for us.

Thankfully, we are receiving countless customer feedback and evaluations in online discussion threads such as this one. To us, your ongoing contribution to this discussion is worth more than any magazine reviews. : )

Dennis from Burson Audio

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #805 of 1,276
A few points with the Conductor, MHDT Lab Atlantis DAC, and Atticus. This is my favorite pairing of the kit I have.

1) Very nice clarity and resolution. Especially with an R2R DAC.
2) The bass rocks from top to bottom. AWOLNation SAIL!
3) Sound stage is a little closed in. Width a little smaller that my shoulders. Height right in my head. The Atticus is "semi" open/closed so this is to be expected.
4) Percussion and guitar are nice and crisp. Very snappy... Dave Mathews Band Say Goodbye. WOW! so nice. You have to listen to the this with the Burson and the Atticus when you get them.
5) So romantic... Shelby Lynne Just a little Lovin'
6) Nice black background.
7) One thing I've noticed with the Conductor. It is really susceptible to electrical noise. I have a bit of a ground loop that I've minimized quite a bit and the Conductor still has some breakup on notes that are in the higher registers. I don't have this issue with any of my other gear....

I'll post more soon...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #806 of 1,276
8) Female vocals are very nice. Sarah Brightman, Think of me, Phantom of the Opera. There isn't any breakup with Sarah's voice... Go figure. She does have a magical voice.
9) The sound is vivid. I get lost in the in songs that are grand and sweeping.... Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, Time to Say Goodbye
10) Nice ambience and atmosphere. Separation of instruments is very good. Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven.

@omniweltall What type of music do you listen to? Is there a certain song you want me to describe?

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #807 of 1,276
Hi Guys,

Please be assured that no one in the audio industry is boycotting Burson Audio. : ) We are very grateful for the ongoing support from head-fi.org, online magazines, and bloggers around the world. But above all, we are grateful for all the support from fellow head-fiers and existing customers.

Around 18 months ago, we terminated the contract with our NY based PR firm and since then our effort in arranging reviews became less focused, to say the least. Instead of hiring another PR firm, and spending resources there, we have decided to focuse on product development and let our products and our happy customers do the PR for us.

Thankfully, we are receiving countless customer feedback and evaluations in online discussion threads such as this one. To us, your ongoing contribution to this discussion is worth more than any magazine reviews. : )

Dennis from Burson Audio
Dennis, thanks for the clarification.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #808 of 1,276
8) Female vocals are very nice. Sarah Brightman, Think of me, Phantom of the Opera. There isn't any breakup with Sarah's voice... Go figure. She does have a magical voice.
9) The sound is vivid. I get lost in the in songs that are grand and sweeping.... Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, Time to Say Goodbye
10) Nice ambience and atmosphere. Separation of instruments is very good. Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven.

@omniweltall What type of music do you listen to? Is there a certain song you want me to describe?
I love female vocals like diana krall, katie melua, etc :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #809 of 1,276
Jerick70.......wow. Thank you for taking the time for that thorough evaluation! Much appreciated.

Over the years I've had four Metrums.....Octave, Hex, Mussette and very briefly, the Amethyst. So I do miss the R2R sound, but frankly, digital through the Burson is perfectly fine for now (not to mention its convenience).

I'm glad to see you had such favorable results with the Burson driving the Atticus. You clearly know what you're doing and your evaluation was very descriptive. You've eased my concerns quite a bit.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #810 of 1,276
Jerick70...just to be clear, you said the Conductor with the MHDT and Atticus is your most favorite pairing you have. So you prefer the v2+ driving the Atticus over the Woo? Or did I misunderstand that first sentence? The Burson is in pretty distinguished company when compared with the WA5. That's impressive.

I had a WA2 driving an HD800 years ago and it was a great combo, FWIW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back