New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
May 15, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #361 of 1,276
Hi

Can anyone tell me how does the v2 perform/pair with the hd650 and other high impedance senns.

Hi there,

I use the conductor daily with either HE-400i or Senn HD650 and they both sound beautifully with the CV2+.

With the Conductor the Senn HD650 does sound a little more fuller than with my MoJo, and for sure they sound better with the CV2+ than with my previous gear (Asus Xonar ONE, Geek Out 1000, Dragonfly).

May 15, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #362 of 1,276
TQuote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me how does the v2 perform/pair with the hd650 and other high impedance senns.

The V2+ pairs beautifully with the HD600 and T90 (300 and 250 ohm). The HD650 would probably pair better with the V2+ than the V2 (IMO) - When I owned the HD650 I invariably used it with the most resolving/transparent DAC/Amp combo. 

May 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #364 of 1,276
  Hi there,

I use the conductor daily with either HE-400i or Senn HD650 and they both sound beautifully with the CV2+.

With the Conductor the Senn HD650 does sound a little more fuller than with my MoJo, and for sure they sound better with the CV2+ than with my previous gear (Asus Xonar ONE, Geek Out 1000, Dragonfly).

Thanks wakka992

I've been using the 160D for a few years and am seriously thinking about upgrading. I almost went for the original conductor but didn't go through with the purchase because I didn't think the DAC performance was really an improvement over the 160D. 

Now that a burson dac is finally able to decode DSD natively and the addition of the XMOS interface I'm thinking about upgrading.
The V2+ cost 500$ more than the V2 so in essence we are paying 500$ for the DAC and Burson gear always punches above its class so can you tell me a bit about the DAC performance. How does the DAC on the V2+ perform, is it like every other Sabre DAC or does the Burson house sound(
organic tone density, good PRAT and bass) shine through?? How does it compare to the MoJo the darling of sub 1K$ dacs??

Have you tried using any IEM or low impedance dynamic cans with the CV2+. The CV1 and the original Conductor reportedly produced hiss so I want to know whether Burson has finally rectified the flaw. My 160D produces NO hiss with iems(SE846), Its an absolutely black blackground.

May 15, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #365 of 1,276
  Thanks Beyerdude.

No worries - I think the HD600 with the V2+ are just about perfect and about the best i have heard them from any other source. It firmly confirms also just how scalable the HD600 are regarding source - I'm not a treble head/bass head and the combo hits exactly the right balance - enough treble extension to give great presence/ wide sound stage and fantastic bass definition/extension - The biggest change between this and other rigs however is that I have never heard the HD600 sound so transparent/well defined. Despite all of this it still has an inherent 'organic' sound.

May 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #366 of 1,276
  Thanks wakka992

Have you tried using any IEM or low impedance dynamic cans with the CV2+. The CV1 and the original Conductor reportedly produced hiss so I want to know whether Burson has finally rectified the flaw. My 160D produces NO hiss with iems(SE846), Its an absolutely black blackground.

Unfortunately on both my unit I can hear white noise/hiss with IEM. That's with Sennheiser CX880 and Xiaomi Piston 3 and Hybrid IEM.
But again, we're talking about a 8w product that aim to much power hungrier cans...

May 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #367 of 1,276
I just held a meet at my home and was able to compare my V2+ to the $1900.00 highly acclaimed Audio-GD Master 9 amp using its balanced output.

Using my Sony ZX-2 dap as my source streaming Tidal Hifi and using my LCD-4 and Hifiman HE-1k headphones , I spent about a good hour going back and forth between amps. I concluded (and so did the owner) that they sound nearly identical. There were some minor variables but the energy,drive and basic sound signature were so close. The M9 maybe had a touch more bass authority while the Burson had a touch more high end "sparkle ". If I were blindfolded, I believe that I would not have been able to tell what amp I was listening to. They were that close.

Although the M9 has a higher power output rating, it sounded no more powerful than the V2. I cranked them both with several songs just to see which one caved first, but they were virtually the same volume level using these rather innefficient headphones. This says a lot about the v2 since it's half the size of the M9 and includes a Dac.

So if anyone out there was curious as to the power,refinement and value of the V2, there it is. Well done Burson!

May 22, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #370 of 1,276
@wakka992

Thanks for the reply.

Any comment on the DAC performance.

The CV2+ it's a good all around performer: detailed, with controlled bass slam and extended treble.
Though I think I prefer the MoJo presentation, more neutral and musical; but it's a close call.

Right now I'm listening with MoJo as DAC and CV2+ as Amp and I like that!

I've done some comparison between the 2 setup but it's to difficult to decide...

May 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #373 of 1,276
Finally found some time to sit down an have a closer listen.  Here are my impressions about the old Conductor vs Conductor V2+.

Equipment used:

iMac --> USB --> Chord Hugo --> 7N Silver cable --> Conductor/Conductor V2+ --> Beyer T1 (Gen 1).  
Track used: Bach Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 Allegro by Florilegium in DSD64

First of all, I want to make it clear that they are both Burson's product.  They have the same house of sound.  The difference is quite subtle.  And for this test, I deliberately bypassed the Sabre DAC in both the original Conductor and the V2 in order to get the impression of just the amps.

The original Conductor has more upper bass presence.  However, I find the V2 has better sound stage, instrument separation and more accurate timbre.  The V2 is very fast and it really shows in the harpsichord solo near the end of this movement.  You can hear the individual notes and the unique sound when the strings are plucked.  Also the flute did not sound like Baroque flute in the original Conductor either and is much better reproduced by the V2.

With the original Conductor, I got the feelings that I am sitting closer to the instruments, while the V2 is just a row or two back.  The difference is no day and night difference, but is quite clear if you listen closely. 

To me, the V2 sounds more analytical, while the original is more fun.

As my 4 year old keep interrupting, will try to post more comments later.

Victor

May 26, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #375 of 1,276
Finally found some time to sit down an have a closer listen.  Here are my impressions about the old Conductor vs Conductor V2+.

Equipment used:

iMac --> USB --> Chord Hugo --> 7N Silver cable --> Conductor/Conductor V2+ --> Beyer T1 (Gen 1).  
Track used: Bach Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 Allegro by[COLOR=000000] Florilegium in [/COLOR]DSD64

First of all, I want to make it clear that they are both Burson's product.  They have the same house of sound.  The difference is quite subtle.  And for this test, I deliberately bypassed the Sabre DAC in both the original Conductor and the V2 in order to get the impression of just the amps.

The original Conductor has more upper bass presence.  However, I find the V2 has better sound stage, instrument separation and more accurate timbre.  The V2 is very fast and it really shows in the harpsichord solo near the end of this movement.  You can hear the individual notes and the unique sound when the strings are plucked.  Also the flute did not sound like Baroque flute in the original Conductor either and is much better reproduced by the V2.

With the original Conductor, I got the feelings that I am sitting closer to the instruments, while the V2 is just a row or two back.  The difference is no day and night difference, but is quite clear if you listen closely. 

To me, the V2 sounds more analytical, while the original is more fun.

As my 4 year old keep interrupting, will try to post more comments later.

Victor

This is a somewhat similar comparison that I did with my V2 and the Soloist. I would add that the V2 is more refined and less grainy than the Soloist. The Soloist can sound more "fun" I believe due to its energy and speed. With extended listening , I did prefer the V2 over the Soloist though. The differences ,as you stated, are subtle but definite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back