New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #106 of 744
Sep 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #109 of 744
With tonight's cutoff, I think for now I will wait as I have the Playmate and a Swing. However, I did reach out to Alex at Burson Audio who said:

"The C3 Reference is many times better than the Playmate from sound performance, build quality and to functionality. It has a more sophisticated power supply section. Two pieces of ESS9038 to lower THD and improve dynamics. It does work well with other opamps including our Classic but as it's named Reference, we have selected the Vivid opamps by default. The case is easier to open up than the Playmate and we are absolutely encouraging customers to roll opamps."

This does make me second guess myself but I am also updating my listening space so something had to go on hold :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #110 of 744
With tonight's cutoff, I think for now I will wait as I have the Playmate and a Swing. However, I did reach out to Alex at Burson Audio who said:

"The C3 Reference is many times better than the Playmate from sound performance, build quality and to functionality. It has a more sophisticated power supply section. Two pieces of ESS9038 to lower THD and improve dynamics. It does work well with other opamps including our Classic but as it's named Reference, we have selected the Vivid opamps by default. The case is easier to open up than the Playmate and we are absolutely encouraging customers to roll opamps."

This does make me second guess myself but I am also updating my listening space so something had to go on hold :frowning2:
yesterday i had a long listening session with playmate. how good sound this piece. i´m really surprised. in fact i suppose that conductor v3 sounds better compared to playmate. how much better? this my curiosity. another question: i hope a better quality control in v3

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #112 of 744
Is anyone privy to whether the two 1/4 inch jacks can run two pairs of stereo headphones concurrently, or can toggle between them (making it possible to keep two pairs plugged in, only switching the output)?

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #117 of 744
Is anyone privy to whether the two 1/4 inch jacks can run two pairs of stereo headphones concurrently, or can toggle between them (making it possible to keep two pairs plugged in, only switching the output)?

You can connect two pairs of headphones at the same time and adjust the volume of both at the same time. There is only one knob

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #118 of 744
(infrequently active). FWIW: I just received notice that my V3 has been shipped! I jumped in on the pre-order offer without much hesitation, although I am usually not that impulse-driven when it comes to expensive audio gear. With Burson, it's different and I trust their fanatical approach to improve relevant issues in modern audio gear: power, pre-amp stages and...finally DAC performance. I had actually hoped for an ES9038 upgrade module for my V2+. But so be it since I also get a much nicer body, display, and multiple headphone jacks.

I drive Audi. What most people forget, the inside of a car is where you spend 99% of your time with the car. So....the interior matters a lot, the design and controls have to match the performance and exterior, and so does the look and feel of audio gear. Although it's really the Audi driving performance that matters most in the end and combination of performance vs design. The new Conductor is no different.

That said, I can't wait to unbox this baby, burn it in and take it for a proper spin with my trusted HD800s/RS2e...(without spinning the wheels too hard). My use case is exactly what Burson had in mind, a multi-purpose high-end audio machine. I actually use the V2+ more as a pre-amp to drive my secondary system (Audio-gd amp/Dynaudio Xcite 14), and I have nothing but praise for the combo. Totally transparent, highly dynamic, with a deep soundstage.

I will set the V3 up right next to the already awesome V2+ with the ES9018 and be able to A/B compare them. And I anticipate a pleasant surprise.

Cheers, -atmfrank

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #119 of 744
I've spoken to Burson direct and as suggested above, the two headphone jacks will drive two headphones simultaneously, with the one volume knob effecting both outputs. They may build in a software switch to toggle active output between them, meaning you could have different headphones with different power requirements plugged into each, and then switch between them (rather than both playing from your source all of the time).

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #120 of 744
(infrequently active). FWIW: I just received notice that my V3 has been shipped! I jumped in on the pre-order offer without much hesitation, although I am usually not that impulse-driven when it comes to expensive audio gear. With Burson, it's different and I trust their fanatical approach to improve relevant issues in modern audio gear: power, pre-amp stages and...finally DAC performance. I had actually hoped for an ES9038 upgrade module for my V2+. But so be it since I also get a much nicer body, display, and multiple headphone jacks.

I drive Audi. What most people forget, the inside of a car is where you spend 99% of your time with the car. So....the interior matters a lot, the design and controls have to match the performance and exterior, and so does the look and feel of audio gear. Although it's really the Audi driving performance that matters most in the end and combination of performance vs design. The new Conductor is no different.

That said, I can't wait to unbox this baby, burn it in and take it for a proper spin with my trusted HD800s/RS2e...(without spinning the wheels too hard). My use case is exactly what Burson had in mind, a multi-purpose high-end audio machine. I actually use the V2+ more as a pre-amp to drive my secondary system (Audio-gd amp/Dynaudio Xcite 14), and I have nothing but praise for the combo. Totally transparent, highly dynamic, with a deep soundstage.

I will set the V3 up right next to the already awesome V2+ with the ES9018 and be able to A/B compare them. And I anticipate a pleasant surprise.

Cheers, -atmfrank
Can I ask when you pre-ordered your Conductor 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back