New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #77 of 744
I preordered the C3-ref amp. Does it sound better than the original Conductor amp?
I like the smaller size/weight.
I had original Conductor and Soloist, and now I have Swing and Fun with V6 on them which are basically considered as new version of both and better in control and in dynamic characters.
Old versions are smooth and too gentle to my ears, whereas newer ones do the same liquidity but with better control and extention in tonality.
I think it is possible with their new power supply that eliminates transformer and adds more dynamism via ample power upto 7watt.
I think C3 might be one of the best out there.

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #78 of 744
I emailed the Burson guys, they confirmed that due to the timing of the release of the units, it was unlikely there would be any reviews before the pre-order finished. So it does require a leap of faith

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #80 of 744
These combos are playing in totally different leagues, in respect with output power, versatility a.s.o.

However, a great review could be read here: https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/fiio-k5-pro-review-student-fi/#targetText=K5 PRO has a perfect,it at home or not., also K5 headphone amplifier measurements here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-fiio-k5-headphone-amp.6824/, but C3-ref has way much more output power, so driving planars will be done with a better control; same applies when driving >300Ohms dynamic headphones (e.g.: Beyerdynamic DT880), where K5 seem to fall this area a bit.

Again: these combos play in different leagues and have different price range. If money is not a problem, then C3-ref. might server you better if driving low-sensitivity headphones (worth adding BT streaming too).

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #81 of 744
Yearh, this is like asking if the HD800S is better than Porta Pro.

That being said the Porta Pro is better for running :wink:

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #83 of 744
I was having a look to Burson's video here:
and seems that they were able to downsize this combo by lowering case overall volume while increasing heatsink surface area (it's about the rims or "fins" they added, like CPU heatsink works) and also getting rid of the "old school" linear PSU for the new digital regulators MCPS.

I've never seen an audiophile device with such kind of power regulators inside (from head to tail) and with such an innovative case, although I've seen some Alpine power amps for use with car subwoofers with similar shape and outer cases (of course, not so good looking; after all, these are hidden inside car's trunk).

From my understanding the PROs and CONs for MCPS would be:
PRO:
- lowering device size and its operating temperature;
- getting rid of EMI radiation from transformer and from any possible mains hum (50/60Hz) and it's higher harmonics (usually 3rd one is the most annoying one), that might be heard sometimes with sensitive headphones;
- no huge capacitors needed for instant current delivery (usually after 5-6 years these need swapped with new ones);
- around 90% power efficiency (about twice a linear PSU has), so less internal temperature and lower power consumption.
CON:
- having surface mount components (like most devices these days) it might be harder to diagnose and repair post-warranty, although the PCB looks very airy to me and traces are easy to visualize.

As for the newly designed outer case:
PRO:
- no more dust will ever get inside, as there are no holes for air movement;
- lower internal temperature, for both electronic components and the air;
- lower size and weight
CON:
- case temperature could be few degrees higher than a similar device with active cooling (fan inside)
- those who love shiny glossy cases might not love the new case

Again, looking further for first reviews!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #84 of 744
The design looks very mature and stylish. I really do hope that they apply this same design to all upcoming models regardless of their price range.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #85 of 744
That means to higher the lower prices from 299$ to 499$ or even higher. :frowning2:

I don't know how much it takes to build such a case, but it will definitely increase the prices on new Basic PLAYMATE or FUN costs right now. I guess existing versions of PLAYMATE/FUN/BANG have a very good price/performance ratio and also fit perfectly inside a desktop computer, so not sure Burson will trade any of these aspects to completely change new coming versions of PLAYMATE/FUN/BANG, but let's see what future will bring up on our tables. :)

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #87 of 744
The style change does mean a disconnect with the two Timekeeper products. Those with a Timekeeper are less likely to jump to a Conductor 3.
Do we think a new generation of Timekeeper products will follow using MCPS? Or can MCPS not scale to higher watts needed for powering large speakers?

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #88 of 744
Why would you say so? It's probably a different look for sure, but as long as RCA and XLR plugs and cables are still available on the market, we can pair different products anyway. :)

Several companies developed AB-class and D-class amplifiers with switching supplies inside (similar with MCPS) instead of regular linear PSUs. I'm sure that Burson is able to do that for a future Timekeeper, but till then we do have BANG amplifier that is using MCPS inside.

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #89 of 744
That means to higher the lower prices from 299$ to 499$ or even higher. :frowning2:

I don't know how much it takes to build such a case, but it will definitely increase the prices on new Basic PLAYMATE or FUN costs right now. I guess existing versions of PLAYMATE/FUN/BANG have a very good price/performance ratio and also fit perfectly inside a desktop computer, so not sure Burson will trade any of these aspects to completely change new coming versions of PLAYMATE/FUN/BANG, but let's see what future will bring up on our tables. :)
I don't think it has to be that expensive. I could easly see that with +$50-$100 extra cost per device it could be possible. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as with Conductor 3 but something similar in terms of design.

We can only wait and see. :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #90 of 744
I got these images from a friend which show the Conductor 3 but with a different brand logo on it.

Brodmann seems to be a high-end piano and speakers maker so this is quite interesting.

The images were taken at the AKG booth from the GuangZhou Audio Show last weekend.

I'm just curious does Burson has a working relationship with Brodmann that allow them to rebrand the product?

burson conductor 3.jpg

burson conductor 3-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back