New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #123 of 744
I still didn't get it, but I will soon together with my preliminary impressions, promise :)
Just curious how this will be compared with the X-Sabre Pro from Matrix. I know you have one of this.
Because that one use 9038 Pro instead. And price is very close.

Honestly I really like how Conductor 3 looks, but the dual 9038 mobile chips for so much money...
I'll rather buy a Topping D50s with the same dual DAC's inside and connect it to a FUN. It's far more cheaper.

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #124 of 744
D50s is really good indeed and it costs about 250-270 EUR with shipping, but you'll still need to add on top of it at least 500-600 EUR for a THX 789 AAA headamp (2 x 6 Watts) with Customs and shipping included (or eBay). Worth mentioning that the Massdrop 789 amp comes with no warranty in Europe, they might swap the unit with a new one, but that means additional shipping charges and Customs payment again (unless using the expensive DHL services).

How I see things, the main advantages of the Conductor 3 would be the one single unit instead of two with a really beefy headphones amplifier inside made with transistors instead of regular opamps. Burson has a R&D department that raises the bar from one year to another and struggles to improve the headamp inside Conductor units, so probably this comes up with additional costs.

I'm also looking further for a side-by-side compare between CV2+ and C3, but also with a side-by-side compare between C3 and X-Sabre Pro.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #128 of 744
Received a FedEx tracking number today with delivery date of 10/02.

About the last comments, we should add that the differentiator between good and excellent audio gear is reflected in the amount of engineering effort. Yes, the extra power reserve may be overkill, and THD is important. For example, it is equally important to have the best possible and fastest power delivery to the circuits in order to retain the full dynamic range in the analog signal reproduction. In fact, there are so many aspects that an audio engineer/circuit designer has to consider. It means there is always a compromise. The higher the degree of engineering effort, the higher the ultimate cost. It depends on how much the consumer is willing to spend.

Burson happens to project an image of fanatical professional tinkerers who specialize in headphone amp/pre-amp/DAC gear. The reason I like the V2/V3 so much is the added 2x line-in input stage to become a high-end audio utility. I used it as a headphone amp as much as a pre-amp in a proportionally priced (secondary) system. I consider making the V3 replace my main pre-amp.

To me, the sum of the engineering effort, the use I get it out of it versus the cost represents an exceptional value. Opinions may vary.

Cheers,

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #129 of 744
D50s is really good indeed and it costs about 250-270 EUR with shipping, but you'll still need to add on top of it at least 500-600 EUR for a THX 789 AAA headamp (2 x 6 Watts) with Customs and shipping included (or eBay). Worth mentioning that the Massdrop 789 amp comes with no warranty in Europe, they might swap the unit with a new one, but that means additional shipping charges and Customs payment again (unless using the expensive DHL services).

How I see things, the main advantages of the Conductor 3 would be the one single unit instead of two with a really beefy headphones amplifier inside made with transistors instead of regular opamps. Burson has a R&D department that raises the bar from one year to another and struggles to improve the headamp inside Conductor units, so probably this comes up with additional costs.

I'm also looking further for a side-by-side compare between CV2+ and C3, but also with a side-by-side compare between C3 and X-Sabre Pro.
Also comparing separate DACs with separate AMPs has always some risks in terms of design especially if the brands weren't doing any collaboration. Which they rarely do. Burson definitely has an advantage regarding the design where same engineers are taking care of DAC and AMP part as well. This will most likely mean better optimization regarding the components and tunning the design to work on the optimal level.

This doesn't mean that others can't sound good but having the 'whole package' made by the same people can sometimes really have it's advantage as well.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #130 of 744

you're enthusiastic about burson audio and its products, which is fine (i have the cv2+ myself), but there is a paucity of information about the company itself, let alone its "R&D department". are you privy to information about burson audio that i've been unable to find on the interwebs (and believe me i've looked). even the dealer that i purchased my unit from described burson audio as "the banksy of head-fi". :wink:

Sep 27, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #133 of 744
you're enthusiastic about burson audio and its products, which is fine (i have the cv2+ myself), but there is a paucity of information about the company itself, let alone its "R&D department". are you privy to information about burson audio that i've been unable to find on the interwebs (and believe me i've looked). even the dealer that i purchased my unit from described burson audio as "the banksy of head-fi". :wink:

Well, it was a reply in a thread (it was related to PLAY, if I remember well), when someone from Burson (Bhav or Alex, can't remember) explained that they simply don't want to pay a large amount of money on advertising, so probably this is the "paucity" you've been talking about. After all, what's written in https://www.bursonaudio.com/about-us/ seems pretty similar to what Schiit and many other companies are using on their About page, but feel free to ping them on their contact page and ask them to create a Head-Fi page dedicated to their team and work.

I am enthusiastic about all companies that are developing their own products, from the scratch, instead of copy-pasting PCB layout from the datasheet and using same component values and opamps. Burson is moving a step forward in R&D and lacking capacitors and opamps from audio path is usually an audiophile thing to do. Unfortunately, this means more money involved in both R&D, PCB layout design, not mentioning about the Dale resistors and ELNA caps.

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #134 of 744
There are very few who really need 6W amplifier for headphones.
I think the power means control of voice coil and hence more realism onto your music, for example rythmic narture or dynamism.
Simply with more power being too gentle presentation of your music might go away.
I like to listen to the new conductor with high power.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #135 of 744
I think the power means control of voice coil and hence more realism onto your music, for example rythmic narture or dynamism.
Simply with more power being too gentle presentation of your music might go away.
I like to listen to the new conductor with high power.
i had same thinking in the past. i had a massive balanced beta-22 with chokes and double capacitors in the power section. a monster of power. but in the end, the story is not always so simple about a lot of watt
I am enthusiastic about all companies that are developing their own products, from the scratch, instead of copy-pasting PCB layout from the datasheet and using same component values and opamps. Burson is moving a step forward in R&D and lacking capacitors and opamps from audio path is usually an audiophile thing to do. Unfortunately, this means more money involved in both R&D, PCB layout design, not mentioning about the Dale resistors and ELNA caps.
me too. i have simpaty for burson, audio-gd, chord...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back