New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #706 of 744
To what extent do you think this advice could be applied to a Conductor 3 Performance?

I've never tried the Performance, so I can only speak from testing on other amps. I've tried all of my op amps on the C3R, Playmate 2, and other smaller portable amps. The op amps always have the same sound signature; the op amps don't differ their signature or technical abilities based on the amp they are in. So I feel comfortable in saying that regardless of the amp the Sparkos SS2590 is the most accurate op amp out there, with the Sonic Imagery 992/994's being a very close second. Third place is pretty far off from #1 and #2 , and there are several op amps around that level. That said, my opinion for 3rd is the Burson V6 Vivid in both accuracy and enjoyment.

As mentioned over the last few pages the SI 992 & SS2590's should work great for almost all setups. It's a very balanced sound. It is possible to push the resolution of the sound a bit further by using 4x SS2590's instead, but whether or not that will be better than the 992+SS2590 setup will depend on your entire audio chain. All that said the SS2590 & SI 992/994's require more space than the V6 Vivids, so it all comes down to just picking the best op amps that will fit in the case.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #707 of 744
I've never tried the Performance, so I can only speak from testing on other amps. I've tried all of my op amps on the C3R, Playmate 2, and other smaller portable amps. The op amps always have the same sound signature; the op amps don't differ their signature or technical abilities based on the amp they are in. So I feel comfortable in saying that regardless of the amp the Sparkos SS2590 is the most accurate op amp out there, with the Sonic Imagery 992/994's being a very close second. Third place is pretty far off from #1 and #2 , and there are several op amps around that level. That said, my opinion for 3rd is the Burson V6 Vivid in both accuracy and enjoyment.

As mentioned over the last few pages the SI 992 & SS2590's should work great for almost all setups. It's a very balanced sound. It is possible to push the resolution of the sound a bit further by using 4x SS2590's instead, but whether or not that will be better than the 992+SS2590 setup will depend on your entire audio chain. All that said the SS2590 & SI 992/994's require more space than the V6 Vivids, so it all comes down to just picking the best op amps that will fit in the case.
can you upload a picture of the inside of the conductor, where the 4 SS2590 are visible?

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #709 of 744

Many thanks, I’ll keep this in mind, very useful!

Jun 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #710 of 744
can the 4 op-amps be placed in only one position in the conductor 3XP device? so does it matter which way the Vivid inscription on the burs faces, front or back? if it matters, can you give me a link or a picture where I can see the correct position as they should be inserted?

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #711 of 744
Hi all, I posted this review a few days ago if anyone's interested.

Compared with the Phonitor xe, ADI-2 DAC FS Brooklyn Bridge/DAC+ etc.

https://www.headphoneer.com/burson-conductor-3-reference-review/

wp-1692204265402.jpg

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #712 of 744
Not much action in this thread nowadays?

While it's great to read all the recent glowing reviews of the V3, what is still missing is a direct comparative review against established products. I recall a review of the V2+ in the Headphoneer from 2017. As an owner of the V3, hobbyist and enthusiast I occasionally visit high-end audio shows. I can only go by memory (using the same cans), R2R products sounded very engaging but I would argue the V3 holds it's own and definitely plays in the top league at a more affordable price point.

Keep in mind the V3 has really three strong points that make it uniquely stand out: the innovative power supply design, the DAC analog filter/gain stage and, last but not least, the implementation of the dual ES9038q2m, which is a chipset used in many newer and excellent performing DAC's.

I hope Mr. Headphoneer will bring us a 2020 update soon....

Took me some years but here you go :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/burson-conductor-3-reference-review/

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #713 of 744
Oct 16, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #714 of 744
A comprehensive review, very nice! Personally, the hiss is a deal breaker, irrespective of the style of use, and that’s why I chose the 3P model. Also, it’s worth mentioning that the Supercharger PSU makes a very significant improvement to the sound.
Thanks :) So the 3P has less hiss? It's that with or without the Supercharger - or both?

If the Supercharger makes a lot of difference, I find it strange that it is not included by default. The Conductors aren't cheap.

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #715 of 744
Thanks :) So the 3P has less hiss? It's that with or without the Supercharger - or both?

If the Supercharger makes a lot of difference, I find it strange that it is not included by default. The Conductors aren't cheap.
No hiss whatsoever, with or without the Supercharger, irrespective of headphone or IEM (and I’ve tried a lot of them). They could not include a Supercharger, it’s not customary and it’s expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #717 of 744
No hiss whatsoever, with or without the Supercharger, irrespective of headphone or IEM (and I’ve tried a lot of them). They could not include a Supercharger, it’s not customary and it’s expensive.

I don't like it when companies ship with a standard psu and want you to buy another one and throw away the included one (which of course also cost money to make).

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #718 of 744
Any other comparisons you can make between the 3P and the bigger brother? Is the 3P worth a review 🤔 ?
The obvious differences between the two are in power output, number of MCPS used (5 vs 3) and DAC section (2x chips vs 1x chip used), as shown in the specs. Also, you cannot use the 3P as an amp only with an external DAC. Besides these, I’ve never tried a 3R, so I can’t tell how they both sound in comparison. I know that there are very few reviews of the 3P unlike the 3R model, so yes a review of the 3P model would be useful for many audiophiles. It’s a great unit overall.

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #719 of 744
I don't like it when companies ship with a standard psu and want you to buy another one and throw away the included one (which of course also cost money to make).
I agree but no manufacturer I know supplies a high quality external PSU in its stock configuration (i.e., without extra cost, e.g. Ferrum Audio). They tend to use better ones by default (typically, linear PSU) only if it’s located inside the chassis.

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #720 of 744
I agree but no manufacturer I know supplies a high quality external PSU in its stock configuration (i.e., without extra cost, e.g. Ferrum Audio). They tend to use better ones by default (typically, linear PSU) only if it’s located inside the chassis.
I bought the better psu as well, and in the beginning they did not exist. But I do agree on a enviromental stand point. It is better to give a choice. But in most cases they make in more expensive.

But I have to say though that the supplied psu is not bad at all with the reference models. The supercharger is just better.

It is not like for example the ifi zen stream, they psu they supply I just call polution, because it is crap. Or the chord qutest.
Those are examples, they might as well sell it without, because most people have to buy a better psu right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back