New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Oct 17, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #721 of 744
I bought the better psu as well, and in the beginning they did not exist. But I do agree on a enviromental stand point. It is better to give a choice. But in most cases they make in more expensive.

But I have to say though that the supplied psu is not bad at all with the reference models. The supercharger is just better.

It is not like for example the ifi zen stream, they psu they supply I just call polution, because it is crap. Or the chord qutest.
Those are examples, they might as well sell it without, because most people have to buy a better psu right away.
And to think that Chord's Rob Watts maintained (until recently at least) that 2Qute and Qutest do not need a third party PSU as it will not offer any improvement over the provided PSU... and then he did some experimentation himself and changed his mind (Ref. Interview to Soundsnews or Passion for Sound, can't recall in which one he made these statements).:)

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #722 of 744
And to think that Chord's Rob Watts maintained (until recently at least) that 2Qute and Qutest do not need a third party PSU as it will not offer any improvement over the provided PSU... and then he did some experimentation himself and changed his mind (Ref. Interview to Soundsnews or Passion for Sound, can't recall in which one he made these statements).:)
The difference changing the PSU of the qutest was the biggest impact I ever experienced in Hifi ever I think. I thought it was shocking to be honest. (and I am actually at the more sober side of thoughts in hifi, but that one could not be denied in any way)

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #723 of 744
The difference changing the PSU of the qutest was the biggest impact I ever experienced in Hifi ever I think. I thought it was shocking to be honest. (and I am actually at the more sober side of thoughts in hifi, but that one could not be denied in any way)
My experience was most profound when I switched from the Burson stock PSU to the Supercharger on my 3P; notwithstanding that I noticed a clear improvement using an LPS on 2Qute and an iFi iPower X on Qutest. There is no denying that a good PSU makes a clear and sometimes profound improvement, especially on DAC units.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #725 of 744
PSU definitely matters. So why don't they ship with a good psu to begin with?
My educated guess is a number of factors including cost, marketing strategy (e.g. Burson would want to position their Supercharger PSU units on the market while offering it as an upgrade to their own product line), and designer's choice (e.g. Chord) among others.

Oct 17, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #726 of 744
PSU definitely matters. So why don't they ship with a good psu to begin with?
Money, the moment you change the PSU it actually comes scary close to the higher models. I audited, and yes the more expensive unit sound better, but after changing the psu, you actually think, is it wordt many times the money for that little difference. before change the qutest was okay and good sounding, after the psu change I loved it

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #729 of 744
True indeed. The only real upgrade is often mainly the internal PSU - with external PSUs you get an "upgrade part" but also generate garbage.
Although units with internal PSUs are neater and more tidy, personally I prefer units with external PSUs in order to have a choice. Typically, internal PSUs, even linear ones, are a trade-off between cost (manufacturer's profit) and performance.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #730 of 744
Although units with internal PSUs are neater and more tidy, personally I prefer units with external PSUs in order to have a choice. Typically, internal PSUs, even linear ones, are a trade-off between cost (manufacturer's profit) and performance.

True. That's a factor. External PSU also removes a source of noise from the amp etc.

Oct 17, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #731 of 744
True. That's a factor. External PSU also removes a source of noise from the amp etc.
That's right. I have to admit, however, that the bulk of an external unit, especially a linear PSU, is very irritating to me. I'm very happy with Burson's Supercharger and iFi's iPower X due to their very compact size (neither is linear but are high performance). :)

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #732 of 744
I'm looking at purchasing this amp. But I use linux as my operating system. I talked to burson, they say that USB might not work as they don't make drivers for it. Does anyone know if the USB will work on linux?

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #733 of 744
I'm looking at purchasing this amp. But I use linux as my operating system. I talked to burson, they say that USB might not work as they don't make drivers for it. Does anyone know if the USB will work on linux?
I thought Mac and Linux didn't need drivers ?

I am not totally sure but I think I used my Allo USB Bridge as a source to test the USB some years ago. That's Linux.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #734 of 744
Hey all. Just ordered an ex-demo Conductor 3XR from Burson. They’ve currently got them (and a bunch of others) for 50% off on their website. $1600 AUD down from $3200 with full warranty. Biggest impulse purchase of the year.

I’m currently running a FIIO K9 Pro with my Aeon Noirs and it gives me a headache and tinnitus. So incredibly detailed but damn it’s fatiguing. This is even listening at very respectable levels where I can hear people ask me questions at work.

I randomly got a chance to listen to the 3XR with the Noir’s at my local the other day. This was transformative for me (I’m relatively new to the headphone world). It was like being wrapped up in a thick velvety rug by a warm fire while having your eardrums massaged with only the finest of oils. I couldn’t stop thinking about what I had heard all weekend. Once I noticed the ex demo units for sale it was a done deal.

Anyway.. I did have a question but I’ve forgotten it now. Keen to start opamp rolling. Going to force myself to have at least a month of just enjoying the amp before that begins though!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #735 of 744
BURSON CONDUCTOR 3 REFERENCE owners, could you share your experience? I'm thinking like an all-in-one for the Sony MDR Z1R, Sennheiser HD 600, IEM and prospectively for the Meze Empyrean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back