New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jun 3, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #661 of 744
I'm not in a mood to keep burning-in new op-amps right now as the continuous rolling has shifted my interest towards headphones again, it's been a while, but maybe you are, so I'm throwing it out just in case.

I was caught off guard by this one because two years ago when I really wanted to give them a try with the C3R, user soldering and assembly was required but because I'm not into this kind of stuff, I acted as if the op-amp didn't exist!

It was only recently when I realized that the 2590s are now also sold pre-assembled and fully functional in a DIP-8 package.

https://sparkoslabs.com/product/api-to-dip-adapter/

https://sparkoslabs.com/product/pro-to-dual-dip8-adapter/

Which means....the op-amp crown is in question!

There's no question about the candidates. The battle is between the Sonic Imagery 992/994 and the Sparkos 2590.

To my understanding, the final choice will be driven by system synergy and personal taste, nothing else. Overall sound quality should be on par.

It will be an even tighter fit inside the Conductor :slight_frown: SIL boards measure 25 x 25mm approx. and the Sparkos 28 x 32mm for the single and 35 x 32mm for the dual. Not exactly sure if and how a full 2590 configuration is achievable inside C3R...But I think it is feasible, even if they are cramped inside the case. Very interesting to see!

I'll take a break and let the SIL op-amps settle for a while, deal with some new cans and then continue where I left off later this year starting with the Sparkos big cheese, most probably!

hi mate, have you try the 2590 yet?

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #662 of 744
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #663 of 744
Countdown......

They fit, but not ideally.

Give me 10 days to experiment with different placements and for proper burn-in.

Initial impression: :open_mouth:

C3R_SS2590_1.jpg
C3R_SS2590_2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #664 of 744
😂 What urged you to suddenly get those? The timing is great, as I'll be doing the same comparison in the next few weeks as well. Well, sort of. I'm just going to start with the singles first.

After nearly a year of enjoying my 992/994 setup I became curious as to what the other op amps sounded like again. I don't have any need to improve on the 992/994 setup, but I am plain curious as to how other things sound again. This time I kept the 994's in the dual slots, but tried the V6 Classics, Vivids, and Staccatos in the single slots. All of them were noticable downgrades to having the 992's. All added unwelcome distortion (less detail, significant blooming), and reduced the sound stage. Looking around, there was only one other legendary discrete that could possibly contend with the 992, and that is the ss2590. Once I'm done with my listening tests on the ss2590 + 994's I'll post them as well. I look forward to your impressions. Perhaps we'll differ on our opinions for once, or maybe not :beyersmile:

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #665 of 744
😂 What urged you to suddenly get those?

Like I had said about 5 months ago, my plan was to get them at some point "later" this year. It just happens randomly without warning. :dt880smile: The "itch" made its appearance a bit earlier than I expected. :worried:

Looking around, there was only one other legendary discrete that could possibly contend with the 992, and that is the ss2590. Perhaps we'll differ on our opinions for once, or maybe not :beyersmile:

We will not....Out of the box, man! If this thing gets even cleaner and opens up even more with burn-in (99% certain), I see no contest! It's more clean, more bulky, fuller and very musical....And all that from a cold start!

Chances are I'll be doing some backflips at the yard in 10 days from now.

I wasn't expecting this....

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #666 of 744
So this is my configuration. As you can see, the tricky part is how to deal with the corner dual SS2590. The placement options are very limited and I think the best one is to allow the op-amp to evenly rest on the two capacitors. By doing that, you'll have about 2mm of clearance and you are set to go.

One important observation, the temperature. My advice to everyone is to think twice before you power up C3R with this upgrade (six SS2590 boards) in a hot summer room without having an AC turned on to bring down the room temp or at least a nearby desktop/floor/wall fan blowing at the case. I wanted to try it like that and see, and within an hour or so I could barely grab the amp tight by its belly. It felt like an oven! In such an ambience the lifespan of the components especially the capacitors will be shortened for sure, let alone the risk for a device heart attack. Also the amp fails to deliver its power (HE6se feels dead).

Just make sure to keep the amp's heat build-up under control.

My early thoughts :beerchug:

C3R_SS2590_3.jpg
C3R_SS2590_5.jpg
C3R_SS2590_4.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #667 of 744
Thinking of getting a secondhand version of this one (3xr one). feedback? (I've been reading reviews and the QA issues are concerning)

Thanks

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #668 of 744
Thinking of getting a secondhand version of this one (3xr one). feedback? (I've been reading reviews and the QA issues are concerning)

Thanks
I have a brand new one, latest revision, for sale. PM me if interested:)

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #669 of 744
Do these come with their discrete opamps or opamp chips (like those from TI)?

The product page is not very clear on what's included. Thanks

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #670 of 744
Comes with 4 discrete Burson V6 Vivids (2 dual + 2 single)

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #672 of 744
So this is my configuration. As you can see, the tricky part is how to deal with the corner dual SS2590. The placement options are very limited and I think the best one is to allow the op-amp to evenly rest on the two capacitors. By doing that, you'll have about 2mm of clearance and you are set to go.

Kudos to you for finding a way to get the SS2590 duals installed! I was looking for a way of installing the SS2590's flat so that they couldn't possibly eventually fall or touch anything else. The singles weren't a problem at all, they install easy. The duals though... after 3 broken extensions I've taken a break from trying to install them. The duals are both too wide to install directly into the board, and too tall to install flat when on extensions. I kept attempting to push the extensions down to make sure the duals wouldn't touch the top of the case, but that would then just break the extension leads. I've got two more strategies that I'll try before giving up though. I'm determined to install the 2590 duals flat/level.

In the meantime, here is what it looks like to have Sonic Imagery 994Enh + Sparkos SS2590 (singles) installed:

Top.jpg

The 994's are installed into a few dip 8 sockets to make them easy to install and remove. This also gives space for smaller op amps to be installed directly into the single slots. The 2590's are comfortably below the highest level of the Conductor PCB.

Side.jpg

As for the sound difference between the 992/994's and ss2590, I've got some fairly solid opinions but I'm going to hold off on sharing them for now. I'm going to continue trying to install the dual 2590's, and maybe experiment with different combinations. All I will say now is that both the 992/994 & 2590's are top tier, clearly better than all the other op amps I've tried. Both have some tradeoffs while offering a very satisfying sound. Two legendary op amps for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #673 of 744
5 more days to go. The SS2590 has changed a lot for the worse! Now I expect a "resurrection" and then to reach and stabilize at a higher level compared to what it was out of the box. I'm hoping, we'll see!

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #674 of 744
Kudos to you for finding a way to get the SS2590 duals installed! I was looking for a way of installing the SS2590's flat so that they couldn't possibly eventually fall or touch anything else.

Assuming that the device is placed on a flat surface, the SS2590 at no more than 90 degrees angle and the extension lead wires have a proper grip inside the socket, I feel like they will never fall or anything even if I shake the amp.

A small movement in the base socket for such a heavy op-amp is unavoidable and acceptable as long as the extension pins sit tight.

Up to this point the sound that I'm getting is crystal clear, no weird noises so far.

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #675 of 744
Ok I'm done with the burn-in. :)

So this op-amp requires at least 200 hours on the clock in order to expand nicely and reach a near-optimal state. Keep in mind this before you draw any premature conclusions. It goes through a transformation cycle and may sound really bad during the burn-in process however in the end it plays much better than brand new, like all the discretes I've put my hands on thus far.

But before I say what I want to say, I have to mention something first. The Conductor 3 in its default form plus the Supercharger is able to take 95% (I leave room for the tiny boosts from much more expensive gear) out of most if not all entry level cans around 300 Euros. So don't expect by hooking up an HE400i or the HD650 that you'll be able to hear what the SS2590 can do. You'll simply waste your money on the op-amp....A headphone of the next step such as the Sony Z7 at €600 greatly benefits from the improved signal generated by the Sonic Imagery 992/994, but not so from the even better SS2590! The HE6se is a different story though...What I'm hearing through the Sparkos is not comparable to SIL and of course to any other op-amp in my possession.

All that was needed was to switch just once between 4 x SS2590 and 4 x SIL and that was pretty much it. If I put this upgrade into percentage perspective, the performance boost seems to be very similar if not even higher(!) than what it was when I moved on from the V6 Vivid to the 992/994. :frowning: This came as a shock because my thought before buying the SS2590 was like the two would be somewhat on par. Who would have thought...

In spite of that, going all Sparkos is not ideal! It never was, and most probably it never will with a single op-amp because none in my possession so far has been good enough to pass the checklist and therefore run the signal by itself. So I always end up mixing op-amps for the most balanced option, and neither this time there will be an exception to the rule it seems...

The 992/994 serve as a complement to the SS2590. Someone may find the tone of the Sparkos too bassy or thick (never congested!) and the Sonic Imagery will dissolve some of that extra juice, however this comes at the expense of clarity because the latter adds noticeable distortion to the signal in contrast to the flawless SS2590 in that regard.

The strong points of the Sparkos op-amp:

1) Crystal clear signal and clarity to die for. Better understanding of what's happening in the stage. There's more air. Perfect (channel) separation.

2) The definition of "effortless" audio. Totally uncompressed vocals. Full and enjoyable, but never pushy or piercing. With the Sonic Imagery, sometimes they are.

Note: Due to the size of the music with the SS2590, bass and some instruments in the mids may give you a slight unwanted pressure occasionally at higher volume. Well I guess we can't have everything!

3) Very energetic and imposing! Gives a closer look into the music. It feels more "stereo" than SIL.

4) Very warm and musical. The 992/994 grasps the emotion too, but it does that in a more sterile, noisy and at sometimes slightly fatiguing way.

5) Extraordinary bass. Man...😲 The sub-bass follows the route of a sub-woofer! Not quite a sub-woofer but it feels like it at times! When all 4 op-amps are installed, it's one hell of an experience I tell you.

The strong point of SIL 992/994:

It's more tonally even. Things that happen at the higher frequencies are more prominent with a tad extra texture and substance. There's more bite and vibrance in violins and vocals for instance which is the weak spot of the SS2590 in my opinion. In some cases it feels overly soft in comparison. That's the most powerful card of the SIL, but unfortunately within that realism, distortion coexists...Still, the Sonic Imagery 992/994 are easily the 2nd best op-amp that money can buy right now and the two 992s will be going permanently into their sockets as a companion to the SS2590. :L3000:

Anyways, that's my subjective view on the Sparkos SS2590. You will hear what I hear only if you happen to have the same audio chain and ears as mine. :grinning: Perhaps a cable that thickens the sound might give you a bad result with this op-amp, but then again a headphone at the other end that does the opposite may form a good balance. I don't know. But on my Conductor 3 Reference, the jury has unanimously declared the Sparkos SS2590 as the King of the op-amp world.

Hope I gave you a good insight with this :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back