New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Feb 22, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #646 of 744
I could use some advice. I was trying the extensions with the opamps you've pictured. I thought I had all four in properly but when I powered on the amp it started smoking. Powered it off and took out those opamps and put the 4 Vivids back in. It plays music but has a loud hum. Burson wrote that they can ship me a new motherboard (not on warranty) but I have no clue about can I swap those out. He wrote that it is simply removing screws and reinstalling the new board. Does the whole inside of the unit come out in one piece and then drop in and screw in the new board then reinstall the opamps? Am I missing something? I hate to invest half of what I paid for the unit for a new motherboard and then screw it up. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure you placed the SIL op-amps in the correct orientation? V6 provide reverse voltage protection, but the SIL I don't think they do.

Also, did you bend the pins of the extensions a bit for a good grip inside the sockets? Loose pins is a major issue.

In regards to the PCBs inside I have no clue neither as I didn't have to unscrew anything yet. If you aren't sure about something just ask them and follow their instructions. :slight_smile:

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #647 of 744
I'm still contemplating building a tower of DIP 8 adapters for the 992's to raise them straight up over the 994's, but it will be a very close fit side to side with the duals. If I end up getting around to that, and it works, I'll take a picture of the setup.

I feel like I dodged a disaster :disappointed_relieved:

Out of plain curiosity I said to open the cover and try a stack for one of the 992s with 4 and then 3 extra sockets.

In both cases, the amp would do one of the following:

1) Not pass the start up check at all.

2) Pass it with delay.

3) Pass the check and then throw occasional spikes at the headphones!

This is like walking on a circus rope with too many connections involved and a wobbly tower being the recipe for disaster.

I apologized both to the amp and the headphones and I promised I will not be doing it again. :beyersmile:

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #648 of 744
Does any Burson support output selection on the remote?

Im looking for an upgrade from my Topping DX7 pro+ which has both a Screen and remote (including output selection), I don't really wanna loose those 2 awesome features when upgrading to the next level... :/ It's just too convient not having to reach out to the amp everytime you wanna change output/volume.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #649 of 744
The C3R and Playmate 2 have a screen (on the amp), and allow for IR remote control. The features supported by remote control are input selection (Toslink, coax, bluetooth, etc..), volume up/down, and mute.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #650 of 744
I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the Burson Super Charger. And can anyone tell me if there's a difference sonically between the 3A and the 5A if used with the Conductor 3XR?

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #651 of 744
I have now different opinion about C3 REF.

The built in DAC(ESS/CRAP) is the real reason it was sounding harsh to my ears.

Once I tried the C3 ref with my DAP/KANN ALPHA this AMP sounds Damn GOOD!

It even sounds better than my Woo Audio WA2.

Currently my OP AMPS Installed:

V6 Vivids Single( Buffer Stage )

Sparkos SS3602( I/V Stage )

Right now I'm 100% positive that the ESS built in Dac inside C3 ref is crap, but once fed in the right input source this Amp sounds sweet like honey 🍯

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #652 of 744
Glad you found a sound you enjoy! I personally really like the DAC. With the 992/994 op amps the C3R is better than any other DAC/AMP I've ever encountered. That's always the trouble with headphone gear though. Everyone not only has different equipment in their setup that alters the sound, but also a different expectation of what sounds nice to them. To each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #653 of 744
I have now different opinion about C3 REF.

The built in DAC(ESS/CRAP) is the real reason it was sounding harsh to my ears.

Once I tried the C3 ref with my DAP/KANN ALPHA this AMP sounds Damn GOOD!

It even sounds better than my Woo Audio WA2.

Currently my OP AMPS Installed:

V6 Vivids Single( Buffer Stage )

Sparkos SS3602( I/V Stage )

Right now I'm 100% positive that the ESS built in Dac inside C3 ref is crap, but once fed in the right input source this Amp sounds sweet like honey 🍯
You are right in saying ESS DACs are crap. They are. But Burson have no choice but to use them. Unlike AKM DACs etc, when the DAC is an ESS, it's very easy to manipulate or alter the sound, especially with capacitors and opamps. So from the consumer standpoint, they can hear the difference with the colour of different components they roll with easily.

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #654 of 744
I was about to buy RME ADI-2 FS but after seeing this announcement I changed my mind!

the ESS chip was a mistake on C3 REF period! This AMP sounds soo good if you have a better dac.

I dont care if its AKM/ESS/Cirrus Logic/Bull Sh$$.. I only care about the sound, Burson had to think twice before installing the Ess Dac chip init, or dont put built in DAC at all❕

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #655 of 744
I was about to buy RME ADI-2 FS but after seeing this announcement I changed my mind!

the ESS chip was a mistake on C3 REF period! This AMP sounds soo good if you have a better dac.

I dont care if its AKM/ESS/Cirrus Logic/Bull Sh$$.. I only care about the sound, Burson had to think twice before installing the Ess Dac chip init, or dont put built in DAC at all❕

So glad I got my RME with the AKM DAC chip. It’s a much more musical DAC chip.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #657 of 744
Good to know, I also wanna get one asp, When and Where you bought it from?
I got mine from Sweetwater Sound. At couple of weeks ago. It was a demo.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #658 of 744
So glad I got my RME with the AKM DAC chip. It’s a much more musical DAC chip.

A while ago I bought the SoundBlaster Z for its Cirrus logic converter to see what's the case with that dac chip. The sound felt almost identical to the Sabre...The BurrBrown (STX II) on the other hand has a very small deviation in terms of realism with less glare and a bit more convincing/satisfying presentation with compromises to my ears, but nothing major. The approach is basically the same with all three.

So how about the AKM then? Does it behave in a radical way, like producing some kind of major shift in instrument/vocal placement or is it just yet another reproduction of the same approach?

I find the Burson DAC to be musical even though it comes with an ESS chip in it btw.

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #659 of 744
A while ago I bought the SoundBlaster Z for its Cirrus logic converter to see what's the case with that dac chip. The sound felt almost identical to the Sabre...The BurrBrown (STX II) on the other hand has a very small deviation in terms of realism with less glare and a bit more convincing/satisfying presentation with compromises to my ears, but nothing major. The approach is basically the same with all three.

So how about the AKM then? Does it behave in a radical way, like producing some kind of major shift in instrument/vocal placement or is it just yet another reproduction of the same approach?

I find the Burson DAC to be musical even though it comes with an ESS chip in it btw.
I find it strange the Play/mate also had ESS chips but it didn't sound harsh to my ears, maybe the ESS chip I have in my c3 ref isn't implemented very well...

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #660 of 744
I find it strange the Play/mate also had ESS chips but it didn't sound harsh to my ears, maybe the ESS chip I have in my c3 ref isn't implemented very well...

Sincerely, my current audio chain produces ZERO harshness at higher frequencies. I had some issues until all of the components clocked around a few hundred hours, probably a bit more than that.

When some of the 35mm extension wires snapped and I had to replace them, the new ones needed about 50 hours before the annoying grain would go away. Circuits and headphones usually require a lot more than that. Everything needs its time to settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back