New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #211 of 744
Anyone get USB Audio to work with Burson C3? I can’t audio from my Phone or DAP to output from USB-C to C3. I’ve tried several different cables, but no luck. Bluetooth audio work fine from my phone to C3.

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #212 of 744
It is interesting that you find resolution of Burson C3 lacking. I found it master of high-res.
What is your device source and its output format?
What resolution is your source material?
Note that in case of using a computer, you typically set a fixed format in the OS, that may or may not match your source material resolution. The mismatch is to be avoided, as then you would depend on Apple's or Microsoft's way of upsampling or downsampling your music, before it even reaches your DAC.
I mentioned that i
am acd guy and That i spin cds.The comments i made were based on what I heard in my set up compared to the project audio dac/pre s2 model with the optional battery power supply.Hooked up to a Burson HA-160 headphone amp.Which has the hi fi tuning supreme fuse in it and a audiophile IEC power cord. with the iso acoustics orea isolation feet. I commented the project s2 pre/dac had the optional battery power supply that they offer for s2 components. I feel that the battery power which is totally independent of the power mains has a definite advantage over the power supply burson uses on the conductor 3. I hear more extremely low level information on the project s2 dac that the burson conductor 3 misses. I attribute that it is the battery power supply which is quieter than the bursons mains supply.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #213 of 744
Anyone get USB Audio to work with Burson C3? I can’t audio from my Phone or DAP to output from USB-C to C3. I’ve tried several different cables, but no luck. Bluetooth audio work fine from my phone to C3.

Yes, no problem here. Ingredients: LG V30 Android with USB Pro software, USB-C adapter. Software settings are fairly advanced. Upsample to max-multiple/integer. Source is Audiophile Lounge streaming radio (MP3/320k - 16/44.1), but local music works also, MP3, FLAC, DSD. No special settings on the V3.

I should add that there are intermittent problems and getting sound is not reliable.

If you have an iPhone, you might need to get special software as well. Best of luck.

20191020_113921.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #214 of 744
Yes, no problem here. Ingredients: LG V30 Android with USB Pro software, USB-C adapter. Software settings are fairly advanced. Upsample to max-multiple/integer. Source is Audiophile Lounge streaming radio (MP3/320k - 16/44.1), but local music works also, MP3, FLAC, DSD. No special settings on the V3.
I should add that there are intermittent problems and getting sound is not reliable.
If you have an iPhone, you might need to get special software as well. Best of luck.

All of my devices have USB-C output and I can't get any of them to output audio from USB to the C3.
I’ve tried DX220, LGPT, oneplus 3T, and oneplus 7Pro. I have USB Audio player and it doesn’t detect the C3.
The USB on my C3 work when connected to my PC. It's frustrating because I've test with more than a handful of USB-C cables.

UPDATE: I finally got USB Audio to work on my phone and DX220. I have so many cables, I don’t even remember if it’s the one that came with the C3. I had to use an USB-C adapter and reconfigure my USB Audio player. My USB Audio player didn’t like “No limit” sample rate with the C3.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #215 of 744

After a few more tries I have to agree, the Android USB interface to the V3 is not reliable. In fact, I am now unable to reproduce the earlier working setup. A couple of things bother me, the phone responds with "USB driver initialized", which is followed by "m_USBDevice !=null". That by itself may not be a problem, but the result is no sound. The USB settings of the phone is stuck in "Charging" mode, regardless of what I set the default to before the interface is initialized. Both of my LG phones have this issue. For good measure, I also tested the V2+ which (might) have the XMOS USB interface. Same problem.

Another observation, when I plug in the phone, the V3 responds with switching from PCM 44k -> DSD 22M even when I soft-limit the USB rate to 96k. When I play a stream, it switches to PCM 352k, which correctly matches my upsample settings, but not the USB rate settings. Something isn't working right with USB driver on phone.

In general, I stay away from portable USB DAC's for headphone use. I still have my trusted Dragon Fly, designed for problem-free operation. The V3 bluetooth interface is supporting the latest aptX HD standard and you can push high data rates reliably. The reason I have LG V30/35 phones is that the internal DAC makes a really great sound.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #216 of 744
Burson Conductor 3 has white noise (hiss) with Focal Stellia headphones. :triportsad: Does it not happen with other low impedance cans?

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #217 of 744
Based on manufacturer specs (https://www.focal.com/headphones/pdf/stellia_specification-sheet.pdf) I see that these beautiful headphpones are having a sensitivity of 106dB/1mW @1Khz, so with only 10mW of power you'll get peaks at 116dB which is about max. you can get for few seconds with your ears.

Hope I'm not wrong here, but I honestly don't think it's a wise thing to pair a 5000mW (@32...35Ohms) amplifier with 10mW headphones, after all the high internal gain of the amplifier will show its background noise, which is quite normal. BTW, what was the volume knob when you were doing auditioning with these cans?

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #218 of 744
BTW, what was the volume knob when you were doing auditioning with these cans?

Depends on recording, but around 7 on average. On Low Gain setting.

C3 has no background noise with LCD-2s. But I wouldn't recommend C3 if you want to use Focal Stellia cans. I had no idea C3 wouldn't work with my headphones! I would rather use Meridian Explorer USB stick LOL !!!

BTW this amp (older model) has adjustable power output: https://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/1.html
It might work better with Stellias.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #219 of 744
@vault108 you use otg adapter? i ask because in my playmate i used my phone without problems. the usb interface is the same xmos
@atmfrank like wrote to vault108, uapp needs a configuration depending every dac is connected. for example, in the first moment with playmate i had some problems, after resolved. with hugo tt i had a lot of problems.
i sent a mail to etreamsd. now i think i resolved my problems

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #222 of 744
Based on manufacturer specs (https://www.focal.com/headphones/pdf/stellia_specification-sheet.pdf) I see that these beautiful headphpones are having a sensitivity of 106dB/1mW @1Khz, so with only 10mW of power you'll get peaks at 116dB which is about max. you can get for few seconds with your ears.

Hope I'm not wrong here, but I honestly don't think it's a wise thing to pair a 5000mW (@32...35Ohms) amplifier with 10mW headphones, after all the high internal gain of the amplifier will show its background noise, which is quite normal. BTW, what was the volume knob when you were doing auditioning with these cans?
i auditioned the stellia with the cv2+ which outputs 4000mw @32 ohms and didn't detect any background noise

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #223 of 744
I tried my old burson amp https://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/1.html
It has no background noise with stellia headphones. On both Low level and Medium level gain settings
i suggest that you inform burson audio of the problem that you're experiencing. i doubt that burson audio intended that the conductor 3's use be limited to high impedance headphones with low sensitivity. it is their reference integrated dac/head-amp/preamp after all.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #224 of 744
i auditioned the stellia with the cv2+ which outputs 4000mw @32 ohms and didn't detect any background noise

FWIW, I tested 105db/mW 16Ohm IEM's (QKZ VK4) on the V3 without any noise. There was some in the beginning (burn-in time?). I am still not sure what triggered it, but it is gone now. Besides the fact the output is ridiculously hot (pre-amp gain=low/vol set to 15). The same IEM's produced some noticeable background noise on the V2+.

I use these IEM's only for portable use on my LG V30 phone and are very enjoyable, neutral, detailed sounding.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #225 of 744
FWIW, I tested 105db/mW 16Ohm IEM's (QKZ VK4) on the V3 without any noise. There was some in the beginning (burn-in time?). I am still not sure what triggered it, but it is gone now. Besides the fact the output is ridiculously hot (pre-amp gain=low/vol set to 15). The same IEM's produced some noticeable background noise on the V2+.

I use these IEM's only for portable use on my LG V30 phone and are very enjoyable, neutral, detailed sounding.
the cv2+ is a desktop unit. i wouldn't use 16 ohm iems with it myself.

i do use the th900 with it, which has an impedance of 25 ohms and a sensitivity of 100db per mw so it's an efficient can, and I don't hear any extraneous noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back