New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Dec 2, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #976 of 1,256
Ok, silly question as I know there are probably 100+ good answers. I have come to the conclusion that I like the Beyer T1 as the End-game matched to the Bifrost/Valhalla combination as the Valhalla really likes high impedance cans to do its best work. So question is, what is the end game can for the Play? What best complements the Play?
Literary all Senns work great with the Play. The least happy pairing is with the AKGs. The Beyers fall somewhere between, both DT880 and T90 work quite nice with the Play, although I slightly prefer them with the tube amps. From all the cans I've tried with the Play, HD650 seems to be the match made in heaven.

Dec 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #977 of 1,256
Literary all Senns work great with the Play. The least happy pairing is with the AKGs. The Beyers fall somewhere between, both DT880 and T90 work quite nice with the Play, although I slightly prefer them with the tube amps. From all the cans I've tried with the Play, HD650 seems to be the match made in heaven.
I have the AKG 712 pros and they sound great on the play.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #983 of 1,256
Now from what I see, Playmate would be a replacement for Play, and Swing will be a DAC only - that's a first for Burson.

However, they need to change the specs on the web pages.
no it's completely different from what i hear from Burson play is unique playmate is with new dac chip 9038 pro optical out and frount oled display first time for burson

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #984 of 1,256
I've speak about "replacement" as a new model, of course - it will still be a DAC/2W Amp Desktop/PC. Just different DAC inside and some other updates.
Both will have the 9038. Hope is the Full Pro version, not the Q2M.

What I could notice from the Swing photos - it will have 2 Line-Outs - one variable and one fixed. Playmate will have only variable output.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #986 of 1,256
I've speak about "replacement" as a new model, of course - it will still be a DAC/2W Amp Desktop/PC. Just different DAC inside and some other updates.
Both will have the 9038. Hope is the Full Pro version, not the Q2M.

What I could notice from the Swing photos - it will have 2 Line-Outs - one variable and one fixed. Playmate will have only variable output.
yes no balanced output and to my knowledge, it will 9038 pro since 9038 dont have Q2M

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #988 of 1,256
Now, that's a move.
I wonder if the DAC is the full 9038...

For the moment I see their pages are quite mixed - I think they are not ready yet.

I would say it’s the Q2M inside of both units; after all, unless all the 8 output pairs are tide-up together, 4-by-4, there’s absolutely no differences between the 2 chips. See the Sonica DAC that is only using one output pair per channel...where’s the gain? Benchmark DAC3 is using all outputs indeed, but what’s the price difference?

However, let’s see who can find some news here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-burson-swing-dual-mono-9038-dac-preamp-changeable-opamps.894620/ and here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...2wpc-headamp-preamp-changeable-opamps.894619/.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #989 of 1,256
Hi Eiffel,
This puts me in a quandary since I just ordered a Burson Play on the Black Friday sale.

Ren

If the price was good, then don’t feel bad about it. PLAY is a great combo and it should be a keeper. I know, I personally get attached to “things”, especially in audio-video field. Need to mention that I still have my first Delia/Unitra receiver (ampli/tuner) from ‘82 and Kashtan 1 set of speakers from ‘83. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back