New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #961 of 1,256
If someone interested, for 24h all Burson products have 20% off now.
Just got mail from them:
20% off across the full range of Burson Audio products 24 hours only! Don't miss out.

This includes our full range of Burson Audio opamps and our entire range of completed products from flagships to budgets.

Best of all, you can take 20% off our already discounted package deals!

www.bursonaudio.com/products/

20% discount coupon code (BLACK)
Feel free to share this offer with your friends.

Happy Listening,

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #962 of 1,256
Hello, today got the device, a slight feeling of lack of bass, or is it my brain has not yet adapted? listening to death metal . AKG k12pro headphones . is it worth to buy v5classic? or wait , drive a little longer?

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #965 of 1,256
That's the usual burn-in time for an OP-AMP,. Some get it faster some not. However the changes are very small and usually the sound get a bit warmer. For even more bass... may be V6 Vivids in I/V.
Pressing Vlolume ? Mute.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #967 of 1,256
Not the best video, but I defer to other more capable reviewers for the finer points of the OpAmp benefits. And there are many of you here:

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #968 of 1,256
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems the V6 Classics seems to be instable in time.
I've notice about a month ago some changes in sound - like the sound gets more open and has more sparkle - it was ok for me then, but the sound has continued to change in the same way and yesterday I give up. I have used them in I/V for more than 6 months ( more than 600h )as the sound was more natural with them.
But yesterday Mark Anthony sounded like a soprano. Almost no bas or lower mids - only upper mids and treble. And almost every song has noise and sibilance and sound a bit pitchy.

I've changed to V6 Vivids in I/V - keep a V6 Classic in LPF - I don't have more Vivids, and now I see the Vivids sound better than before - they have a lot of mids and sound more natural.
There is still some noise - probably from the Classic in LPF.
Probably I will buy a pair of V5 as they were quite good - never heard any problem about.
I will try to write Burson about the issue next week.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #970 of 1,256
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems the V6 Classics seems to be instable in time.
I've notice about a month ago some changes in sound - like the sound gets more open and has more sparkle - it was ok for me then, but the sound has continued to change in the same way and yesterday I give up. I have used them in I/V for more than 6 months ( more than 600h )as the sound was more natural with them.
But yesterday Mark Anthony sounded like a soprano. Almost no bas or lower mids - only upper mids and treble. And almost every song has noise and sibilance and sound a bit pitchy.

I've changed to V6 Vivids in I/V - keep a V6 Classic in LPF - I don't have more Vivids, and now I see the Vivids sound better than before - they have a lot of mids and sound more natural.
There is still some noise - probably from the Classic in LPF.
Probably I will buy a pair of V5 as they were quite good - never heard any problem about.
I will try to write Burson about the issue next week.
Very interesting. Any chance to try Classics vs Vivids in the Fun, just to see if it is V6 dependent, or Plays circuitry dependent?

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #971 of 1,256
I don't have the FUN. I might be able to test them on my old STX, but need some extra work in my PC for that.
However with V6 Vivids, now it's far better - sound is a lot better than when I tested them first in I/V.
I'll also try some other OP-AMP's in LPF this weekend and I will get a new DAC next weekend - a Topping D10 where I can replace the buffer to see what happens.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #972 of 1,256
Ok, silly question as I know there are probably 100+ good answers. I have come to the conclusion that I like the Beyer T1 as the End-game matched to the Bifrost/Valhalla combination as the Valhalla really likes high impedance cans to do its best work. So question is, what is the end game can for the Play? What best complements the Play?

Dec 1, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #973 of 1,256
I think it depends of what OP-AMP's you have inside the Play. You can combine OP-AMPs so the Play can sound well with any can. Also because of it's power it can drive easily almost any can.

And about OP-AMP's I think I was wrong about the V6 Classics. I did some tests yesterday and today with several OP-AMP's and in the end I've put back the Classics in I/V/ And the sound was normal !!! As I did some dust cleanup few days ago on my desk I suspect now a bad contact of audio cables. They are good quality but they are made to be easy removed or plug in.

Anyway if someone wants a very analytic and clean sound from the play I recommend to use Vivids and one Muses02 in LPF. However it might be difficult to listening for long sessions.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #975 of 1,256
I've had the HD700s connected to the play and it is a good match so I can see the other Senns doing well. Maybe a 800 or 820 is top end of that chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back