1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by ostewart, Sep 20, 2017.
First

Back
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
Next

Last
  1. Fasterball
    I've noticed I hear the noise more when I have the v6 classic singles in. Any thoughts why that might be?

2. raoultrifan
    I don't see it, man...where's that 470 marking, please? I never had an issue dismantling all cards and get them all back...not sure what the issue is, so please use MS Paint or something to mark the surrounding area causing you troubles.

I've heard that they changed the internal power plug because some customers had issues under some circumstances and the power plug from the supply was not making a perfect contact in there. So, if you have the old PSU, then you might have indeed issues with the new board, although...I had no such issue with my old PSU from V1.6 and the new V2.2 motherboard. If you really-really can't make a good fit between the mobo and the power supply, please ask Burson for a resolution to this or, eventually, see if you can find something like this to perfectly make the fit with your PLAY (ask Burson prior to making any changes!).

3. WK446
    ”470"

It's pretty clearly marked...

Note the power connector which is now sitting squarely on top of the large black capacitor, preventing the daughter card from being level.

IMG_20181116_150214.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. raoultrifan
    I've noticed this myself in the past with PLAY V1.6, but only with sensitive cans with V6 vs. NE5532. With PLAY V2.2 no much hiss, no more the opamps used.

Basically, V6 is a huge opamp, so any EMI/RFI from the surrounding may affect them. Burson is selling a copper shield for these opamps that can be also grounded. However, like I said before, if you have V2.1 or V2.2 you shouldn't need any shield.

5. raoultrifan
    Oh, I got it now...I was looking for a 470uF marking, thinking to a capacitor not to a coil/inductor. :)

However, doesn't looks very disturbing to me, I would just ignore this if you can close the case perfectly. Optionally, if you don't use the microphone input, you can just unplug that cable for good.

6. WK446
    Nope. Must fit perfect. The simple fact that I know the alignment is off.would bother me to no end. The 2 screws affixing the daughtercard are not even tightened 20% in that photo.

I am still unsure as to what changed in the power connector from 1.6 to 2.3.

7. Fasterball
    How do I tell which version I have?

8. WK446
    You have to open up the case. The version number is printed near the bottom of the PCB.

Burson charged me $125 USD for the upgrade.

9. WK446
    For example, my old board 1.6 IMG_20181101_103241.jpg

10. Fasterball
    Mine is 2.2. It is very high pitched and only in the right channel. I don't suffer from tinnitus so I have no idea what this is. Will try the ear buddy to see if this fixes it.

11. WK446
    Perhaps the V6 Classics have something to do with it. I am running all V6 classics.

12. Eiffel
    Try to swap I/V Op-Amps and see if the noisy channel change.
    If yes, then it might be possible that one of the op-amps got faulty.

13. DjBobby
    I have heard this high pitched sound from day one, since I changed to all V6 Classics almost from the beginning. To document it I have connected the Play through line-out to the Fun, connected to the Bang and loudspeakers. The high pitched sounds I got was very clear, some kind of digital noise, very high pitched. I have recorded the audio and sent it to the Burson Audio and they have heard and acknowledged it. Through very kind and friendly contact with the Burson sales department I was promised that the techs are working on it and that right after this weekend I will have good news. Very much waiting for Monday to hear about it.
    To my understanding the noise has nothing to do with the opamps, since I am using all V6 Classics in the Fun and in the Bang and there there is no noise or hiss at all. I have swapped also the power supply and it it didn't change anything, so again I think it is not the power switch fault. Most probably there is some digital noise (EMI/RFI) leaking from the DAC part to the analogue section of the Play, which causes this.

14. Fasterball
    I'm excited about your possible good news. I'd like to fix this.

First

Back
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
Next

Last