New: Brainwavz R3
Feb 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #123 of 157

Any word on him from this? I'm getting a technical mate of mine to halve the length of the wire, looking foward to that (he's not the quickest with stuff though). FWIW, I find the wire moderately annoying, but the housings comfortable and no problem seal-wise. The Audio-Technica IM50 have much better wire, but I find them less comfortable because of the housings themselves. Not long like these, but bulkier.

Haven't heard from him for weeks.  Not too worried about it.  If it was me - I'd replace the whole cable.  That's just my preference though.  Current one is too large, bulky, microphonic.  Kinks like crazy too.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #124 of 157
I dunno, maybe you're just too sensitive. Probably explains why you've had so many bits of kit.

That's a joke, sort of. Don't take offence. I do wonder however whether people are sometimes a bit too precious here about wires. They're just things that transmit the digits to your ears. I mean, when I read about people 'hating' the cable on these, It makes me think I must be a paragon of tolerance or something. I spend zero time fretting what a cable looks like as long as I can put them in my ears and stick my phone in my pocket and do my walking about ok, its not an issue. And the cable on the R3s is nice and thick and rubbery, which probably means they'll last a while, so thats good.

If I'm the exception to the rule with these R3s, so be it - I guess I'm blessed. Do I win a prize?

Don't worry - takes a lot for me to take offence 
wink.gif

Remember - my cables are another 2-3 cm longer than yours.  Now imagine getting a good fit, then every time you turn your head while looking down, the cable hits your collar or shoulder, and dislodges the IEM.  And it happens all the time.  Maybe you can see now why I really dislike the cable design - and why for me, I can';t see how they intentionally built it like this.  It is a flaw - there is no glossing it over.

Perhaps your tolerance of the R3 is more directly related to the fact that you haven't tried a lot of other gear - and so you are more tolerant of faults?

And as far as value goes - RRP on the R3 is $129.  Comparatively the HSA BA100 (single BA) is sub $100 and I'd take it any day of the week over the R3.

Like I said though - I'm glad you're enjoying them.  They actually sound pretty good.  Pity.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #125 of 157

wink.gif

Remember - my cables are another 2-3 cm longer than yours.  Now imagine getting a good fit, then every time you turn your head while looking down, the cable hits your collar or shoulder, and dislodges the IEM.  And it happens all the time.  Maybe you can see now why I really dislike the cable design - and why for me, I can';t see how they intentionally built it like this.  It is a flaw - there is no glossing it over.

Perhaps your tolerance of the R3 is more directly related to the fact that you haven't tried a lot of other gear - and so you are more tolerant of faults?

And as far as value goes - RRP on the R3 is $129.  Comparatively the HSA BA100 (single BA) is sub $100 and I'd take it any day of the week over the R3.

Like I said though - I'm glad you're enjoying them.  They actually sound pretty good.  Pity.

Who said I haven't tried a lot of other gear? FYI, I've had a long path of IEMs to get here, but I won't bore anyone with lists.

Anyway, I don't understand what you mean by saying your cables are longer than mine - how does that work?

Ask Brainwavz

Mine are 16cm.  Photos were in my review.  Length of memory wire from strain relief at IEM to end of strain relief at end of memory wire is 16cm.  Yours appear to be shorter.  IMO though - even yours are too long.  Doesn't matter though - as long as they suit you, you're good to go.

Sorry about the guess about other gear you've tried.  My bad.  You have nothing in your profile and you joined yesterday.  An assumption I probably shouldn't have made.  BTW - lists aren't boring IMO - they're actually quite good so that people wanting to know what you have / had can then relate that to any comments you make, or reviews you post.  Otherwise, we're guessing.  Up to you - but I wish more people would actually fill in their profile.  To me it is helpful.

Anyway - pointless debating.  You like them.  I liked the sound - unfortunately I like little else about them.  They are a review sample for me - so no loss.  I hope eventually Raz does talk Brainwavz into releasing an update, and that I get a chance to compare a corrected model.

Until then I am perfectly happy with my DN-1000 (so much so, that they even replaced my SE535).

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #126 of 157

wink.gif

I think you could have come up with a better example of a sub 100 iem than the BA100.  I was excited about it when I first heard about it, got to try it out and was thoroughly unimpressed. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #127 of 157

Your photo doesnt show them at 16cm - have another look....you don't start at zero and you dont stretch the wire to the measure.

I reckon the ones you had were same as mine - 11cm length of memory wire, 13.5 if you want to count the strain relief (which seems silly to me).

But hey, arguing over who's got the biggest length like this is such a pathetic male thing to do (!), let's knock it on the head.

You're right - each to their own. Me, I love the R3, you don't, I guess that's life right there.

Sigh - look again.  I stated clearly how I measured it.

From the top of the IEM to the bottom of the strain relief (because that whole section is rigid) = 16cm.  Tape moved while I was photographing.  Move the tape 1cm along = almost exactly 16cm.

(click for larger image)

It doesn't matter anyway.  Look at the ear mold on practically any other IEM that has them  - 8-9cm is standard.  Either way you look at it - these are different by design.

I think you could have come up with a better example of a sub 100 iem than the BA100.  I was excited about it when I first heard about it, got to try it out and was thoroughly unimpressed. 

Different preferences TR.  Next to the R3, I'd take the BA100 any day.  YMMV

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #128 of 157
Received the R3 to review, thanks to member “shotgunshane” and his great R3 review tour. I’ve had it about 7-8 days now, and have put about 20-25 hours on them.

Before I get to my thoughts on the sound, I will say that my main IEM for serious listening is the Etymotic ER-4P (with some EQ on the bottom end), and the Philips SHE-3580 for fun and sleep listening. My original plan was to compare the R3 with the ER-4P, but comparing a Dual Dynamic driver phone with a Single BA phone began to seem unproductive. But telling you that lets you know my preferred sound – clean, crisp, detailed, energetic. (Interestingly the SHE-3580 does well in many of those areas, just with a bigger bottom end than the ER-4P).

Regarding fit of the R3, I haven’t had a big problem with it, even with the admittedly long and fairly stiff memory wire coating. I have stayed away from over-the-ear (OTE) IEMs because of the on/off hassle, but these haven’t put me off being OTE-only. Messing with the ample supply of ear tips, I quickly found the size that fits me well, and once I get them inserted, wrapped over the ear, etc., I get a very secure fit and an even listening experience, and not nearly as placement sensitive as many BA driver phones.

OK, so for the sound of the R3, I find them very warm, which to me starts with having a sufficient and not-quite-boomy, but definitely thick bottom end. The bass emphasis to me is not in the sub-bass (below 150hz) region, but more in the mid-bass (200-500hz) region, thus the feeling of bass thickness, but not necessarily the visceral bone-felt sub-bass of some other phones. This surprised me for a dual dynamic phone – I was expecting some serious sub-bass and serious bass impact, but didn’t really find it dominated by either.

[Note: all my music source is 320 kbps mp3 files (OK, some is 256) – my ears/mind just don’t hear any perceptible difference between that and uncompressed WAV files.]

To me, the strong point for the R3 is the clear mids. Acoustic instruments like banjo, guitar, piano, orchestra, etc, sound very organic and true-to-life. In some full orchestral pieces, I felt there was a bit too much mid-bass emphasis and thickness for my tastes. But voices and instruments in the mid-regions were all clear and clean.

The highs …. I haven’t quite made up my mind about the R3 highs yet. There are some songs where the treble sounded just right, especially with very organic highs like close-mic’d [real] cymbals, tambourine, and the wispery breath of vocals – sufficient, but not quite enough overall energy for my tastes – too “polite.”

However, on music that is more electronic-based (Glitch Mob, GRiZ, EDM, etc), or if I push the EQ up some in the highs to create some energy up there), the highs tend to lose smoothness, start sounding brittle and somewhat forced. I still remember the incredible smoothness of the original HifiMan RE0, but unfortunately on too many songs the R3 sound too grainy in the highs.

Lastly, the one thing that everyone enjoys about the R3 is wide soundstage and channel separation. On busy pieces with many instruments, it is nice to hear some space, but I found on small ensemble pieces (Civil Wars, etc), the extra width and space took away from the intimacy, placing the vocals a bit too far back for my tastes. But big sounding reverb-y stuff (Dream Theatre, My Morning Jacket, Moody Blues, etc) was nice and spacey. Muse’s “The 2nd Law” was a super-aural experience, and seemed it was mixed for phones just like the R3. There was an immediacy to the guitars and bass mix that was really amazing.

So my overall impression of the R3 is Smooth and Warm Thickness. Enjoyable for a while for me, but not quite my cup of tea, sonically. Hope my thoughts are helpful to someone considering them.

Again, thanks to Shotgunshane for making these available to several of us on Head-fi.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #129 of 157
Received the R3 to review, thanks to member “shotgunshane” and his great R3 review tour. I’ve had it about 7-8 days now, and have put about 20-25 hours on them.

Before I get to my thoughts on the sound, I will say that my main IEM for serious listening is the Etymotic ER-4P (with some EQ on the bottom end), and the Philips SHE-3580 for fun and sleep listening. My original plan was to compare the R3 with the ER-4P, but comparing a Dual Dynamic driver phone with a Single BA phone began to seem unproductive. But telling you that lets you know my preferred sound – clean, crisp, detailed, energetic. (Interestingly the SHE-3580 does well in many of those areas, just with a bigger bottom end than the ER-4P).

Regarding fit of the R3, I haven’t had a big problem with it, even with the admittedly long and fairly stiff memory wire coating. I have stayed away from over-the-ear (OTE) IEMs because of the on/off hassle, but these haven’t put me off being OTE-only. Messing with the ample supply of ear tips, I quickly found the size that fits me well, and once I get them inserted, wrapped over the ear, etc., I get a very secure fit and an even listening experience, and not nearly as placement sensitive as many BA driver phones.

OK, so for the sound of the R3, I find them very warm, which to me starts with having a sufficient and not-quite-boomy, but definitely thick bottom end. The bass emphasis to me is not in the sub-bass (below 150hz) region, but more in the mid-bass (200-500hz) region, thus the feeling of bass thickness, but not necessarily the visceral bone-felt sub-bass of some other phones. This surprised me for a dual dynamic phone – I was expecting some serious sub-bass and serious bass impact, but didn’t really find it dominated by either.

[Note: all my music source is 320 kbps mp3 files (OK, some is 256) – my ears/mind just don’t hear any perceptible difference between that and uncompressed WAV files.]

To me, the strong point for the R3 is the clear mids. Acoustic instruments like banjo, guitar, piano, orchestra, etc, sound very organic and true-to-life. In some full orchestral pieces, I felt there was a bit too much mid-bass emphasis and thickness for my tastes. But voices and instruments in the mid-regions were all clear and clean.

The highs …. I haven’t quite made up my mind about the R3 highs yet. There are some songs where the treble sounded just right, especially with very organic highs like close-mic’d [real] cymbals, tambourine, and the wispery breath of vocals – sufficient, but not quite enough overall energy for my tastes – too “polite.”

However, on music that is more electronic-based (Glitch Mob, GRiZ, EDM, etc), or if I push the EQ up some in the highs to create some energy up there), the highs tend to lose smoothness, start sounding brittle and somewhat forced. I still remember the incredible smoothness of the original HifiMan RE0, but unfortunately on too many songs the R3 sound too grainy in the highs.

Lastly, the one thing that everyone enjoys about the R3 is wide soundstage and channel separation. On busy pieces with many instruments, it is nice to hear some space, but I found on small ensemble pieces (Civil Wars, etc), the extra width and space took away from the intimacy, placing the vocals a bit too far back for my tastes. But big sounding reverb-y stuff (Dream Theatre, My Morning Jacket, Moody Blues, etc) was nice and spacey. Muse’s “The 2nd Law” was a super-aural experience, and seemed it was mixed for phones just like the R3. There was an immediacy to the guitars and bass mix that was really amazing.

So my overall impression of the R3 is Smooth and Warm Thickness. Enjoyable for a while for me, but not quite my cup of tea, sonically. Hope my thoughts are helpful to someone considering them.

Again, thanks to Shotgunshane for making these available to several of us on Head-fi.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #131 of 157
Alright, here are my new and improved R3s, courtesy of my tech neighbour/pal

:

And in position:

No more annoyance whatsoever, he did a good job. He also commented on how well-made the cable was.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #133 of 157
im thinking of doing a review . it will be small .

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #134 of 157
I've got mine (V2, w/o memory cable) along with iBasso DX90, and I was quite impressed how R3 might performance, if they fit, but I failed to manage them to fit! Then I ordered custom inserts for them, and, for past 3 months already, I'm quite happy with the result! With custom inserts they sound much better than with any standard inserts I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back