New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #1,907 of 1,956
I attached the service manual (same for T1/T5p). Its in German but page 3 should have you covered.
There is an English translation as well in this important document.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,908 of 1,956
Does anyone know whether the 1st gen T5p leather ear pads fit the 2nd gen T5p? And if so, do they change the sound significantly? I like the sound with the stock 2nd gen pads, but the coating on the pads is starting to peel, so I'm going to have to replace them. Looking at different options and was thinking leather pads might hold up better to day-to-day use, but I don't want the sound to change too much.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,909 of 1,956
Does anyone know whether the 1st gen T5p leather ear pads fit the 2nd gen T5p? And if so, do they change the sound significantly? I like the sound with the stock 2nd gen pads, but the coating on the pads is starting to peel, so I'm going to have to replace them. Looking at different options and was thinking leather pads might hold up better to day-to-day use, but I don't want the sound to change too much.
There's no reason why they won't fit. Haven't tried them so can't comment on sound.

The gen 1 and gen 2 parts fit each other for the most part. I have the leather gen 1 headband fitted to my gen 2s for example.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #1,910 of 1,956
I attempted to purchase a 2nd hand T5 on the head-fi boards.

Luckily (for me) it wasn't productive. Ordered a new T5 from Amazon. Kept for 10 days before returning.

I'm clueless as to why this phone is considered elite?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,911 of 1,956

Luckily (for me) it wasn't productive. Ordered a new T5 from Amazon. Kept for 10 days before returning.

There are about 7 billions of humans, each have 2 ears, so I guess about 14 billions of ears and they all have their own preferences. Some loves it, others hates it. I'm one of the humans out there that loves the T5p.2. Using it with my Klipsch heritage amplifier makes the treble sounds joyful. It's so light, has good passive noise cancelation and its design is so simple and yet so elegant.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,912 of 1,956
1770vb pads confirmed fit. And sound great! If anything, some of the reverb/ heavy coloration is decreased. Though these sound more like a super hd580/600 (more extension in bass, and treble with smooth mids) than a classic sparkling treble/treble murder beyer. Also the comfort, it's like i've come HOME. To that classic Beyer velour home. What a relief from those horrid soft skin pads.

giphy.gif

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,913 of 1,956
looking for feedback on these phones as I found a good price for these 2nd gen phones (online only so I can't demo).

1 question on comfort though: are the cups same size (or deeper/larger) than the other beyer phones (DT900/DT1990/DT990). Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,914 of 1,956
I find the cups a little bit on the shallow side. The other issue I had was the weight pressing through the ever thinning hatch on top of my head. I have now padded the head band with real lambskin with the tightly curled lambs wool on the side next to my head. This was a big improvement. I don't use the T5P Mk2 phones with the Chord Hugo 2 DAP for travelling now, as it involved just too much knitting. I now use Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless phones for travel. No they are not quite as good as the Beyerdynamic phones but with their excellent ANR, they are pretty close and no wires to worry about. They do supply a wired connection for listening to aircraft movies.

Wilson

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,915 of 1,956
I have them and the 1st and 3rd generation T-5. The 2nd Gen. is better than the first for all-around sound if you like less brightness. On my T-5, first and second, I put real leather dekoni pads and it darkens them up. The Third Gen T-5 is the very best sounding one for the sound stage and is less bright. I would highly recommend the T-5 second. I just like the 3 gen. better. The third Gen. T-5 is really a great headphone. It outperforms my Focal Clear and the Elegia with ease. I have many high-end cans-always come back to the Beyerdynamics. I even like the new DT 700 and 900 pros. Great cans for the money, and they are very well made and sound great too.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,916 of 1,956
I have a pair of the second gen T5 for sale with balanced and unbalanced beyer cables if you are interested and would make you a deal. Just PM me.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #1,917 of 1,956

Elite? No. But a very solid choice in their price class - Possibly because there are very few closed-back headphones around the $800 price point that: sound as good; are as efficient; and are as comfortable. Overall, I like the Dan Clark Audio Aeon a bit more, but I won't leave the house in them due to their looks (and they need a beefy amp to sound their best). The t5p look much more understated and sound great with a simple dongle (or even right out of a phone/iPad) so I'll wear them on the train/plane, etc.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,918 of 1,956
The channel balancing on Aeon was a total deal breaker for me. My og Aeon closed collect dust unfortunately, I'd chose (and do) not just T5s over them, but most Beyer closed frankly.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,919 of 1,956
Elite? No. But a very solid choice in their price class - Possibly because there are very few closed-back headphones around the $800 price point that: sound as good; are as efficient; and are as comfortable. Overall, I like the Dan Clark Audio Aeon a bit more, but I won't leave the house in them due to their looks (and they need a beefy amp to sound their best). The t5p look much more understated and sound great with a simple dongle (or even right out of a phone/iPad) so I'll wear them on the train/plane, etc.
I have all the Generations of T-5's and T1s. The T-5 3rd gen. sounds the best to me. It has a better base sound for sure. The T-1 first gen were too bright for me, so I changed the pads to leather-it darkened them up and helped with the base. I did the same thing for the T-1 2nd Gen too. The T-1 3rd Gen are dark with stock pads, and folks don't like them. Many believe they're too dark.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #1,920 of 1,956
I have all the Generations of T-5's and T1s. The T-5 3rd gen. sounds the best to me. It has a better base sound for sure. The T-1 first gen were to bright for me, so I changed the pads to leather-it darkened them up and helped with the base. I did the same thing for the T-1 2nd Gen too. The T-1 3rd Gen are dark with stock pads, and folks don't like them. Many believe they're too dark.

Well said. There is a real shortage of more true flat monitor tunings like the T5.3 especially in the upper tiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back