New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,876 of 1,954
Actually leaving the existing fabric covering the driver is enough for me,and I am now very happy with the sound.Also with the original pads I felt an uncomfortable pulse feeling on my ears.This has disappeared with the Dekonis.
Definitely worth the investment in buying the pads.
I was in the same position. On the verge of selling them on as the original pads we're just too small (and I've got small ears). The Dekoni solved everything. Went from "these are going" to "I'm never selling these!".

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,877 of 1,954
So,I have the t5p,s with the Dekoni pads that I am now happy with and the Sony mdr-z7.
For my financial situation I dont see any point looking at anything else for headphones.
All my music are flac files on my laptop,and I have an ifi nano idsd black label.
Any recommendations on a further upgrade to my dac amp?.Would the chord mojo or dragonfly cobalt be worth considering?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,878 of 1,954
So,I have the t5p,s with the Dekoni pads that I am now happy with and the Sony mdr-z7.
For my financial situation I dont see any point looking at anything else for headphones.
All my music are flac files on my laptop,and I have an ifi nano idsd black label.
Any recommendations on a further upgrade to my dac amp?.Would the chord mojo be worth considering?
Any suggestions appreciated.

I’m in a similar situation, got the t5ps and the Aeon 2 Opens. Don’t need anymore more headphones. For travel I’ve got the ifi hip dac. Was wondering if the mojo would be a good investment. Obviously given current circumstances I can’t try before I buy.

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,879 of 1,954
I was in the same position. On the verge of selling them on as the original pads we're just too small (and I've got small ears). The Dekoni solved everything. Went from "these are going" to "I'm never selling these!".
Which Dekoni pads are we referring to? How much do they alter the sound?

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,880 of 1,954
I’m in a similar situation, got the t5ps and the Aeon 2 Opens. Don’t need anymore more headphones. For travel I’ve got the ifi hip dac. Was wondering if the mojo would be a good investment. Obviously given current circumstances I can’t try before I buy.

A better DAC will always help. And a better DAC with a dedicated headphone amp will sound even better. If you've got the upgrade bug then I'd invest in best DAC that you can together with a good headphone amp. A DAC with balanced outputs to a headphone amp will help a bit more. If your source supports I2S (IIS LVDS) output then a DAC with I2S inputs (over and above USB) will give you a small incremental sonic improvement. See my sig for example kit that I use in my headphones system at home. For travel I use a Cayin N6ii with a module that provides Class A output which sounds pretty good.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,881 of 1,954
Which Dekoni pads are we referring to? How much do they alter the sound?
The Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. We know any change from stock pads on a headphone will cause some alteration in sound. In this case it's quite minimal I think. You have to raise the volume slightly higher as your ears are further away, but there was nothing detrimental that I noticed.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #1,882 of 1,954
The Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. We know any change from stock pads on a headphone will cause some alteration in sound. In this case it's quite minimal I think. You have to raise the volume slightly higher as your ears are further away, but there was nothing detrimental that I noticed.
I have the Dekoni choice leather (pleather).Comfort is unbeleivable.Sound now perfect for me,as less bright but I did leave the pads as stock with the inner fabric.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,883 of 1,954
A better DAC will always help. And a better DAC with a dedicated headphone amp will sound even better. If you've got the upgrade bug then I'd invest in best DAC that you can together with a good headphone amp. A DAC with balanced outputs to a headphone amp will help a bit more. If your source supports I2S (IIS LVDS) output then a DAC with I2S inputs (over and above USB) will give you a small incremental sonic improvement. See my sig for example kit that I use in my headphones system at home. For travel I use a Cayin N6ii with a module that provides Class A output which sounds pretty good.

I thought I knew about amps and dacs! No you have made me realise I don’t.

My office desk has an smsl sp200 fed from a topping E30 which sounds amazing to my ears. Got an element 2 for ease in our small ‘cubby hole’ room that I use when I’m reading. So guess I would be classed as a lower tier listener.

will check the Cayin out for travel. That’s what I’m interest in at the minute. Also for something I can use in my living room if I want to listen there.
Other options I was looking at include the ifi signature and was thinking if I got the mojo I would get the poly for it at a later date.
Too many options!

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,884 of 1,954
Does anyone know of a smaller portable headphone (wired or wireless) with a similar sound signature to the T5p.2? Picked up a pair of T5p.2s a few months ago and I'm really liking them – I find them very resolving without being harsh/fatiguing and the tuning is enjoyable. However, I've been struggling to find new portable headphones (the T5p is an at-home headphone for me) to replace my DT 1350s, which I liked sound-wise but found the design to be problematic – they were constantly getting caught in my mid-length curly hair, for one thing.

I'm looking for something on the smaller side and public-friendly, with decent build quality. While I'm sure things like the Shure Aonic 50 sound great, they're too big for my purposes. I'm willing to make some sacrifices in terms of sound quality (soundstage, detail) to keep the size down. I listen to a really wide range of music – everything from classical/orchestral music to electronic, folk, jazz and rock.

Initially, I was looking at the smaller models from Beyer since I tend to like the way they tune their headphones, but the Aventhos have the same problematic design as the DT 1350s, so I ordered a pair of the Lagoon ANC. However, the build quality of the Lagoons is disappointing (the yokes are made of thin plastic that eventually develops hairline cracks from normal use that continue to spread until they crack all the way through) and they lack the clarity and detail of the DT 1350s. I also tried both generations of the B&O H6, which are great looking and well-built headphones, but I'm not really a fan of the way they are tuned.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #1,885 of 1,954
Does anyone know of a smaller portable headphone (wired or wireless) with a similar sound signature to the T5p.2? Picked up a pair of T5p.2s a few months ago and I'm really liking them – I find them very resolving without being harsh/fatiguing and the tuning is enjoyable. However, I've been struggling to find new portable headphones (the T5p is an at-home headphone for me) to replace my DT 1350s, which I liked sound-wise but found the design to be problematic – they were constantly getting caught in my mid-length curly hair, for one thing.

I'm looking for something on the smaller side and public-friendly, with decent build quality. While I'm sure things like the Shure Aonic 50 sound great, they're too big for my purposes. I'm willing to make some sacrifices in terms of sound quality (soundstage, detail) to keep the size down. I listen to a really wide range of music – everything from classical/orchestral music to electronic, folk, jazz and rock.

Initially, I was looking at the smaller models from Beyer since I tend to like the way they tune their headphones, but the Aventhos have the same problematic design as the DT 1350s, so I ordered a pair of the Lagoon ANC. However, the build quality of the Lagoons is disappointing (the yokes are made of thin plastic that eventually develops hairline cracks from normal use that continue to spread until they crack all the way through) and they lack the clarity and detail of the DT 1350s. I also tried both generations of the B&O H6, which are great looking and well-built headphones, but I'm not really a fan of the way they are tuned.

That's a very good question, The T5p.2 have a unique sound. warm mids, not too bassy and a smooth treble with good detail. The closet I can approximate are the Amiron Wireless. But they are just as large as the T5p.2 The next one would be the Audio Technica ATH M40x if you change the pads to the brainwavs HM5 sheepskin pads.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #1,886 of 1,954
I suspect part of the excellent sound quality of the T5P2 headphones is a side effect of their size. I hate in ear phones as had severe facial injuries in an accident in a racing cars many years ago, which left me with very narrow ear canals. After half an hour with in-canal phones, my ears are itching to the extent that I cannot enjoy the music. This leaves me with the choice for good quality of on ear phones or non-ear canal ear buds. I bought a pair of quite expensive B&O ear buds. They look very stylish other than the rubbish quality leads but the sound quality is not a patch on the Beyerdynamic headphones. The Oppo PM3 phones I had before they were stolen during a burglary at my French house, were pretty good for their size, somewhat smaller than the T5P2 phones and the HA2SE DAP was very good for the size but of course Oppo left the business and these can only now be bought second hand. I now use a Chord Electronics Hugo 2 DAP with my T5Ps phones, which is brilliant but it is big. I do also have the tiny Beyerdynamic Impacto DAP but it is not great.

Wilson

Jun 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,888 of 1,954
That's a very good question, The T5p.2 have a unique sound. warm mids, not too bassy and a smooth treble with good detail. The closet I can approximate are the Amiron Wireless. But they are just as large as the T5p.2 The next one would be the Audio Technica ATH M40x if you change the pads to the brainwavs HM5 sheepskin pads.
It's funny that you mention the Amiron Wireless because that was one of the other headphones I was considering when I was looking at the T5p. Sounds like I would have been happy with either pair. Thanks for the suggestion. Will see if I can find the M40x in a local shop to have a listen. I owned a pair of Audio Technicas years ago (different model), but it's been a long time since I've listened to their gear.
I suspect part of the excellent sound quality of the T5P2 headphones is a side effect of their size. I hate in ear phones as had severe facial injuries in an accident in a racing cars many years ago, which left me with very narrow ear canals. After half an hour with in-canal phones, my ears are itching to the extent that I cannot enjoy the music. This leaves me with the choice for good quality of on ear phones or non-ear canal ear buds. I bought a pair of quite expensive B&O ear buds. They look very stylish other than the rubbish quality leads but the sound quality is not a patch on the Beyerdynamic headphones. The Oppo PM3 phones I had before they were stolen during a burglary at my French house, were pretty good for their size, somewhat smaller than the T5P2 phones and the HA2SE DAP was very good for the size but of course Oppo left the business and these can only now be bought second hand. I now use a Chord Electronics Hugo 2 DAP with my T5Ps phones, which is brilliant but it is big. I do also have the tiny Beyerdynamic Impacto DAP but it is not great.

Wilson
Thanks. Yes, I suspect the T5p's size has something to do with it as well. I guess I was hoping there might be something smaller out there that was similarly tuned, even if it was a bit weaker in some areas (narrower soundstage, not quite as detailed). I had looked at the PM-3 a while back, but I don't have much experience with planar magnetic headphones, so that put me off a bit. Maybe I'll have another look. A lot of people seem to like them.
For this same reason I’ve bought myself a nice set of iem’s.
Easy on the go, in public transport, in sunny weather etc.
Soundwise, I think Campfire won’t disapoint you. But I’m sure there are others too.
Thanks, Campfire weren't really on my radar. I do want to pick up a decent pair of iems at some point as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back