New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Aug 4, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,921 of 1,956
Elite? No. But a very solid choice in their price class - Possibly because there are very few closed-back headphones around the $800 price point that: sound as good; are as efficient; and are as comfortable. Overall, I like the Dan Clark Audio Aeon a bit more, but I won't leave the house in them due to their looks (and they need a beefy amp to sound their best). The t5p look much more understated and sound great with a simple dongle (or even right out of a phone/iPad) so I'll wear them on the train/plane, etc.
I have the the DC Aeon's open. It's a good transportable phone. Very well powered by my IBasso DX220. Put me in a safe space, it's a good combo. I call it my hotel room phone.

Personally, I don't wear any type of phones in public. I'm too conscious of situational awareness to compromise myself to not hearing my surroundings.

If I'm in a considered safe public environment, say a flight, or train, I'll use an IEM. Don't ever let the wolves think you're a sheep that can't hear.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #1,922 of 1,956
I've managed to find and buy a set of these. Really like how they sound. The only thing is find weird is how tight the cable sockets in the headphones are for the cable. Is this normal?

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,924 of 1,956
If they're new that's quite normal. They do loosen up but not so much so that they fall out easily.
Yes, it is. However, I purchase cables from Arctic cables and they don't have that issue; also, I tried Impact cables along with Ninja cables; they're not as tight as the stock ones. It seems like the Beyerdynamic stock cables don't seem like they fit right and are too tight to plug into the headphones. Moreover, to get a good connection you really have to push them into the well-port for them to make a good connection.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,925 of 1,956
Hi guys just came into possession of a pair of AK T5P 2nd Generation.
So far I have played them off a ddhifi adapter dac, IFI Go Blu, Questyle M15 and tonight I using the Xlr outputs on my Chord TT2.
I’m impressed with these.
Lovely warmer sounding signature.
The bass seems to go down for ever.
Beautifully built and very comfortable.
Really enjoying them.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #1,926 of 1,956
Hi guys just came into possession of a pair of AK T5P 2nd Generation.
So far I have played them off a ddhifi adapter dac, IFI Go Blu, Questyle M15 and tonight I using the Xlr outputs on my Chord TT2.
I’m impressed with these.
Lovely warmer sounding signature.
The bass seems to go down for ever.
Beautifully built and very comfortable.
Really enjoying them.
You should try the New T-5 third gens. I think they are the best sounding out of all of their headphones. I also like their new DT 700 and 900 pros. Great headphones for the money. I would put them up against headphones costing three times as much. I do love the T-5s in all generations, and I have all of them. I agree with your assessment of the T-5 2nd. I really enjoy them too!

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,927 of 1,956
These are the only closed headphone I own.
I once had MR Speakers Ether Flow C with a Kimber upgrade cable but could never get on with them.
My main headphone I use are Sennheiser HD800S and various Grados walking around the house.
I saw a pair of the T5P 3rd Gen go for £351.00 on eBay the other night.
I paid £340.00 and I’m over the moon with them.
Build quality is very good.
I first heard these a few years ago at a show and were being driven by AK daps.
I was a bit worried how they would pair with other sources but that’s completely gone now.

Does anyone know what difference there is from the AK compared to the Beyer apart from the black metal cups and copper silver cable?

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,928 of 1,956
These are the only closed headphone I own.
I once had MR Speakers Ether Flow C with a Kimber upgrade cable but could never get on with them.
My main headphone I use are Sennheiser HD800S and various Grados walking around the house.
I saw a pair of the T5P 3rd Gen go for £351.00 on eBay the other night.
I paid £340.00 and I’m over the moon with them.
Build quality is very good.
I first heard these a few years ago at a show and were being driven by AK daps.
I was a bit worried how they would pair with other sources but that’s completely gone now.

Does anyone know what difference there is from the AK compared to the Beyer apart from the black metal cups and copper silver cable?
The T-5 3gen has a really good sound stage for the close back. I also have the Senn HD 800 2016 edition, HD 660S which are dark sounding with bass but I like them. I just got the HD Senn 8XX; I am a little disappointed in them. But I am going to keep them. Overall, I like the HD 800 better.

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,929 of 1,956
The T-5 3gen has a really good sound stage for the close back. I also have the Senn HD 800 2016 edition, HD 660S which are dark sounding with bass but I like them. I just got the HD Senn 8XX; I am a little disappointed in them. But I am going to keep them. Overall, I like the HD 800 better.
Thank you.

I have heard some reports the HD8Xx were tuned differently.
I shall look out for the T5p 3rd Generation.
Like I said I’m enjoying the AK.
I only wish I had gotten them earlier .

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #1,931 of 1,956
Perhaps someone can chime in, the t5p 2gen are on special at the moment where I’m at and was wondering how they compare to dt880 250ohm edition version? Is it a realistic upgrade or just something different?
It's a definite upgrade. It's a more balanced tuning overall. You can also run them more easily from lower powered devices. I really enjoyed my T5p.2.

I eventually replaced the stock earpads with Dekoni Leather ones. Made them perfect for me, better comfort and slightly more width again. You lose a tiny bit of bass in the process. Most people love them with stock earpads. Either way can't go wrong.

They do go for quite low prices on eBay (used), which makes them a steal on there. So check the eBay prices (and recent sold prices) against the offer price. A new pair is always better of course, but only if it's a good enough price.

Aug 28, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,933 of 1,956
Perhaps someone can chime in, the t5p 2gen are on special at the moment where I’m at and was wondering how they compare to dt880 250ohm edition version? Is it a realistic upgrade or just something different?
I have all the T-5 generations. The 2nd gen sounds better than the first one. However, the 3 third Gen is the best sounding one with the widest sound stage. I don't have the DT 880; I do have the new DT 700 and DT 900 pros. They are great cans for the money and well made, and the sound is very good. I would compare them to cans that cost 4 times as much. Moreover, they are easy to drive with the new 45 ohms design. How do they compare to the T-5 second? Well, the pros hold their own against almost all higher-end cans if you like that Beyerdynamics sound. Are the second with buying-yes, especially if you can buy at a good price. I really think the new T-5s are the very best of all headphones. I like them better than all the T-1s, which I have in all gens too. The new T-1 is on the darker side but I like them! However, I also like the T-1's first and second generation with good leather earpads on them. For me, it improves the sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back