New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Aug 2, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #1,756 of 1,965
I have similar pads - the 'Dekoni Audio Fenestrated Elite Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads for Beyerdynamic DT and AKG K Series Headphones - Code EPZ-DT78990' - these are basically perforated versions of the ones you have and are supposed to provide more comfort. However, interestingly, they ruin the sound from my T5p Gen2 in terms of the lower end essentially disappears!

The Choice Leather Dekonis work best for me on the T5p Gen 2 and I imagine your Sheepskin ones provide a very similar seal and level of comfort.

It was a brave decision on your part to cut out the driver cover from your pads! I've been debating doing this on my Choice Leathers for a while now but haven't come to a decision yet.

Yeah I tried some velour pads on them and they sounded garbage. Pretty much for the same reasons. Closed back need to isolate or you lose all the bass.

Cutting out the cover was easy. Not recommending it in case it ruins the sound for anyone else but I haven't regretted it. Will do it again when I eventually have to replace them.

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,757 of 1,965
Thought I'd add my experience on pad swapping for my pair of T5P G2. I really don't get on with the stock pads, although I have small ears, the rim of the foam lining behind the pleather just presses on my ear lobes enough to be annoying after a short while.

I've been trying out quite a few headphones over the summer (the boredom of working from home during lockdown!). Most of these have been Beyerdynamic. I've tried the velour pads from a pair of DT990, the microfibre pads from the Amiron Home, the balanced and analytical pads from the DT1990, and a pair of Brainwavz velour pads I had lying around. They all sounded terrible, I expected as much as they're a closed can. So honestly don't waste your time with velour pads.

BUT...

I also had a pair of Brainwavz pleather pads sitting around. I trimmed the inner on them to fit the disks, and had a listen. They still sounded fantastic, I didn't perceive any loss of sound, and more importantly they were now very comfortable. So I can highly recommend the Brainwavz pleather pads (standard size) as a more comfortable replacement.

I've got the XL pads arriving today to see how they sound, as ideally I'd like a bit more ear room again. I imagine that extra space will affect the sound dynamics though. I'm not a fan of changing the sound signature of a headphone. I'd like to try the Dekoni pads but they're just so damn expensive (twice the price of Brainwavz on Amazon UK).
IMG_20200806_084946.jpg
IMG_20200806_085001.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,760 of 1,965
Here is a quick picture of the dekno choice pads with the protective mesh cut out:
IMG_20200806_124448.jpg

At the risk of sounding stupid, did you use scissors or a sharp knife to cut the acoustic mesh out? I'm contemplating doing this but the mesh seems to add some rigidity the pads and I'm wondering about making a mess of the pads in a botched attempt to cut the mesh out!

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,763 of 1,965
At the risk of sounding stupid, did you use scissors or a sharp knife to cut the acoustic mesh out? I'm contemplating doing this but the mesh seems to add some rigidity the pads and I'm wondering about making a mess of the pads in a botched attempt to cut the mesh out!
I used a pair of scissors. Start in the centre to make a hole and then just follow the outer ring. Be careful not to cut through the stitching of the mounting flap though!

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,764 of 1,965
Here is a quick picture of the dekoni choice pads with the protective mesh cut out:
IMG_20200806_124448.jpg
I used a pair of scissors. Start in the centre to make a hole and then just follow the outer ring. Be careful not to cut through the stitching of the mounting flap though!

I tried the XL Brainwavz pleather pads just now (which have a 6.5cm internal diameter), but they were just a bit too big and changed the dynamics ever so slightly. spacious but distracting. I notice the Dekoni are a 6cm internal, did you find much of a difference in sound using them? The current Brainwavz I'm using are 5.5cm internal and are extremely close to the original sound, but I'd still like just slightly more space for my ears, 6cm could be perfect.

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,765 of 1,965

I finally plucked up the courage to do this to my Dekoni Choice Leather pads. I had to use a small pair of very sharp scissors and I followed the method you mentioned of starting with a hole in the centre. I found that stretching the foam as you snip away helped to get the cut closer to the seam stitching.

GzmQLc3.jpg

A surprise for me was that the foam was thicker than I expected it to be. Anyway, each earpad took 3-4 minutes as I was being extra careful. I had listened to the headphones for about 30 minutes before I removed the foam just to see what the sound was like with the foam. Listening again now with the foam removed, I find that I need to turn the volume down a few notches. The treble is definitely raised now and songs have a touch more sparkle, which isn't a bad thing for me. The soundstage is slightly bigger too.

So, a slight upgrade for me but I would say if you enjoy a more muted treble then leave the foam on.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,767 of 1,965
*Looking at my T5p.2* I would never torture you!

Well. Mine tortures me so I will show no mercy! :)

----------------

After a week of listening to them they are still very uncomfortable for me. I have to tuck my ears inside the pads in order for the pads to not press on my ears. After all, these are over-ear headphones and not on-ear. After an hour of listening I start feeling pain... Both on my ears and on my head. The exceptionally soft headband is very painful after a while. I still have no idea how this is even possible.

I examined (on photos) the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and the Brainwavz XL Sheepskin pads and see absolutely no difference between them (apart from a few millimetres in the sizes). So I went with the Brainwavz XL, since they are 3 times cheaper. I am waiting for them to arrive and will post impressions.

----------------

I am starting to think that I may be deaf.
I just can't hear that super wide soundstage on these headphones. Is it possible Amazon sent me fakes?
The soundstage on my Fidelio X2 is much wider. They just sound much more spacious. The T5p sounds "in your face" to me. Like the sound is right in my head. I know that it's an unfair open vs closed comparison, but looking at the comments about the great soundstage on the T5p, I was expecting something similar to the Fidelio X2 at least. They are not the greatest headphones soundstage wise. Especially when compared to something like the AKG Q701.
The DT177X sounded "wider". With the T5p I have the feeling that I am wearing slightly larger on-ear headphones and not over-ear.
Hopefully all of this will be resolved when I change the pads.

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,768 of 1,965
stock pads have a small inner diameter that's for sure.
I have had the DT1770 before and a proper T5p.2 should sound wider and more holographic, the DT1770 is very up close and personal. Can't imagine the DT177X be far off from the DT1770 in that regard.
I hope the pads make a difference but sometimes it's just not the match between you and the headphones you hoped for.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,769 of 1,965
I am starting to think that I may be deaf.
I just can't hear that super wide soundstage on these headphones. Is it possible Amazon sent me fakes?
The soundstage on my Fidelio X2 is much wider. They just sound much more spacious. The T5p sounds "in your face" to me. Like the sound is right in my head. I know that it's an unfair open vs closed comparison, but looking at the comments about the great soundstage on the T5p, I was expecting something similar to the Fidelio X2 at least. They are not the greatest headphones soundstage wise. Especially when compared to something like the AKG Q701.
The DT177X sounded "wider". With the T5p I have the feeling that I am wearing slightly larger on-ear headphones and not over-ear.
Hopefully all of this will be resolved when I change the pads.
For a closed-back headphone, the T5p (2nd Gen) projects a comparatively wide and deep soundstage. In normal circumstances, a closed headphone would struggle with any half-decent open can in terms of staging definition (width, especially). With that said, the T5p (2nd Gen) does very well in this particular category. Generally, I find that pads are one of the biggest contributors to changes in sound characteristics. Even a simple swap from back to front (e.g. the thicker part is moved to the other direction) will result in a perceptible difference (usually, worse).

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,770 of 1,965
Yeah, the T5p.2 indeed has a deep and wide soundstage and I use it for everything aswell as my Amiron Wireless which is closed-back too.
I once tried my Marshall Mid for giggle and holy ... zero soundstage!

I have no issue with the stock pads and will not change them. I use the Greekia earpads covers to prevent sweating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back