post-15750368
Post #1,741 of 1,810

Taz777

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have unused beyerdynamic T1v2 velour earpads

I want to know if that earpads can fit on T5pv2 too, can someone confirm this ? thanks.
I have both the T1.2 and the T5p.2 headphones now. I can confirm 100% that the T1.2 stock pads fit the T5p.2 perfectly (in terms of fit). However, I wasn't overly happy with the sound as it sounded just slightly weak. Just for reference, I've also tried Dekoni Elite Velour and Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Fenestrated pads on the T5p.2 but the results were not great according to my ears.

I have put the stock pads back on my T5p.2 and the sound is fine, but comfort is lacking a little but I can live with it. I am awaiting delivery of Dekoni Choice Leather pads to try out.

post-15751303
Post #1,742 of 1,810

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.arielext.org
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11232105.jpg

Yes, the back sides of these pads are not pretty with many wrinkles. The good point for also using sheep skin instead of stretchable pleather on the backs is the pads will last for many more years. They are the only real leather pads I found on the market which retain the stock sound.
I'm going to make the best T5p pad ever ™ by combining the Chinese leather pad with the memory foam of a Dekoni pad. That or it will be a disaster :p ... but it will be my hobby project for next weekend.

post-15751551
Post #1,743 of 1,810

tdx

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm about to get a pair of these this week. Until I get more funds to get a proper DAC/AMP setup (or maybe a portable player), I'll be using these with my lowly Iphone 11 Max. For now I'm thinking of adding a portable DAC to the mix so they don't plug straight in the Iphone's DAC. Does anyone have any recommendation on one that would pair well with these headphones? Something small would be preferable. Thanks!

post-15752491
Post #1,744 of 1,810

Taz777

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I got my Dekoni Choice Leather earpads today. After some rather painstaking effort, I managed to attach them in the slot as per the stock pads. Initial thoughts are a nice increase in comfort!

For reference, these are the stock T5p Gen 2 pleather pads:

The Dekoni Choice Leather earpads are not real leather. They are still pleather. However, they do feel like a lush, soft leather. They are very, very soft and squishy and the pleather coating has a lovely silky feel to it. They make the headphones seem a little lighter on your head. Headband grip isn't impacted to a noticeable extent.

Here's the front view:

And here's the back view:

So they do have have acoustically transparent material across them, whereas the stock pads don't. They are somewhat thicker than the stock pads too.

Here's how they look when fitted to the T5p Gen 2:

It's too early to comment on the sound quality and compare it to the stock pads. I am listening via UAPP to Hi-Res music from Qobuz and also CD-quality FLAC. I am applying sound correction via the Morphit plug-in for UAPP (this is absolutely worth purchasing if you have UAPP!) to the Harman AE-OE curve. This provides a more musical and enjoyable frequency response. I will try a bit-perfect test with no sound correction.

So, for now, in terms of comfort, the Dekoni Choice Leather pads are a step up from the stock pads. It'll take several days of listening to determine the change in sound quality.

post-15754064
Post #1,745 of 1,810

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I got my Dekoni Choice Leather earpads today. After some rather painstaking effort, I managed to attach them in the slot as per the stock pads. Initial thoughts are a nice increase in comfort!

For reference, these are the stock T5p Gen 2 pleather pads:

The Dekoni Choice Leather earpads are not real leather. They are still pleather. However, they do feel like a lush, soft leather. They are very, very soft and squishy and the pleather coating has a lovely silky feel to it. They make the headphones seem a little lighter on your head. Headband grip isn't impacted to a noticeable extent.

Here's the front view:

And here's the back view:

So they do have have acoustically transparent material across them, whereas the stock pads don't. They are somewhat thicker than the stock pads too.

Here's how they look when fitted to the T5p Gen 2:

It's too early to comment on the sound quality and compare it to the stock pads. I am listening via UAPP to Hi-Res music from Qobuz and also CD-quality FLAC. I am applying sound correction via the Morphit plug-in for UAPP (this is absolutely worth purchasing if you have UAPP!) to the Harman AE-OE curve. This provides a more musical and enjoyable frequency response. I will try a bit-perfect test with no sound correction.

So, for now, in terms of comfort, the Dekoni Choice Leather pads are a step up from the stock pads. It'll take several days of listening to determine the change in sound quality.
Whatever change there was (if any) to my T5p with these pads is negligible -- I still love how it sounds. I wish the ear openings were a little bigger, but I do like Dekoni products.

Reactions: Taz777
post-15774433
Post #1,746 of 1,810

w00x

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
These (Dekoni Choice Leather) seem to be the same pads that Drop put on the DT177X and those were super comfortable! :) And they isolated pretty well.

I just got my T5p today after 2 pairs of DT177X failed on me...
I still can't judge the sound properly, because they are painful to wear!

The pads are super thin (BeyerDynamic, why?!?! And why is there no second pair in the package??), they don't isolate properly (I hear a slight increase in bass if I press them just a tiny bit to my ears), they hurt my ears after just a few minutes of wear and the headband is creating a hotspot on top of my head. How is this possible, considering how soft it is?!

I am in the EU so a little limited in regards to pad selection. I can't be bothered with importing pads and dealing with customs, so do you guys have any suggestions for me to look at? I see that Brainwavz have an EU warehouse so was considering their models. They are 3 times cheaper than Dekoni too.

Last edited:
post-15774605
Post #1,747 of 1,810

Taz777

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
These (Dekoni Choice Leather) seem to be the same pads that Drop put on the DT177X and those were super comfortable! :) And they isolated pretty well.

I just got my T5p today after 2 pairs of DT177X failed on me...
I still can't judge the sound properly, because they are painful to wear!

The pads are super thin (BeyerDynamic, why?!?! And why is there no second pair in the package??), they don't isolate properly (I hear a slight increase in bass if I press them just a tiny bit to my ears), they hurt my ears after just a few minutes of wear and the headband is creating a hotspot on top of my head. How is this possible, considering how soft it is?!

I am in the EU so a little limited in regards to pad selection. I can't be bothered with importing pads and dealing with customs, so do you guys have any suggestions for me to look at? I see that Brainwavz have an EU warehouse so was considering their models. They are 3 times cheaper than Dekoni too.
I'm happy with the Dekoni Choice Leather pads on my T5p 2nd Gen. They are an absolute pain to fit properly though as the lip that fits between the retaining clip and the earcup shell is very thin and snags very easily when rotating the pad onto the earcup. However, the effort/pain/blood/sweat/tears are worth it due to the supreme comfort you'll get with these pads. I think there is a tiny degradation in sound quality compared with the stock pads though, but it's almost imperceptible most of the time.

Reactions: fordski
post-15774973
Post #1,748 of 1,810

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.arielext.org
Thing I dislike most about the choice leather pads is the heat that builds up, which is a non-issue for 99.99% of the time so I can safely say that I like the pads a lot!
My personal favourites for the T5p

post-15776269
Post #1,749 of 1,810

MartyMcfly3004

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
so do you guys have any suggestions for me to look at? I see that Brainwavz have an EU warehouse so was considering their models. They are 3 times cheaper than Dekoni too.
I got the "Dekoni Sheepskin DT78990 Earpads EPZ-DT78990-SK" here in the UK for £50. I cut out the driver cover as they aren't covered using the stock pads. They are very comfortable, so soft and spongy and they don't change the sound at all to my ears.

I used them in 30 degrees heat yesterday with no air con and didn't get sweaty in them.

I cant use the stock pleather pads, they make my ears sweat and itch within minutes of putting them on. Plus they felt too 'closed in' even though they don't isolate any more than the Dekoni's. I don't see why companies make premium headphones and put cheap materials into the part that touches your skin.

post-15776903
Post #1,750 of 1,810

fordski

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I got the "Dekoni Sheepskin DT78990 Earpads EPZ-DT78990-SK" here in the UK for £50. I cut out the driver cover as they aren't covered using the stock pads. They are very comfortable, so soft and spongy and they don't change the sound at all to my ears.

I used them in 30 degrees heat yesterday with no air con and didn't get sweaty in them.

I cant use the stock pleather pads, they make my ears sweat and itch within minutes of putting them on. Plus they felt too 'closed in' even though they don't isolate any more than the Dekoni's. I don't see why companies make premium headphones and put cheap materials into the part that touches your skin.
I also have a set of the Dekoni Sheepskin that I'm using on my T5p gen.2 and am quite satisfied with them. (my original pleather pads deteriorated after a year in humid conditions) I didn't cut out the driver cover. Did you happen to test the sound with and without the driver cover in place and, if so, did you notice any difference?

Reactions: hmscott
post-15776911
Post #1,751 of 1,810

MartyMcfly3004

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I also have a set of the Dekoni Sheepskin that I'm using on my T5p gen.2 and am quite satisfied with them. (my original pleather pads deteriorated after a year in humid conditions) I didn't cut out the driver cover. Did you happen to test the sound with and without the driver cover in place and, if so, did you notice any difference?
I think I did. It think it sounds slightly less detailed and I noticed on some tracks that the imaging / soundstage seemed to be reduced. As is often the case with this stuff I wasn't 100 percent sure if it was in my head. It was a five minute job with a pair of scissors. Glad I did it as it looks better if nothing else. Like being able to see those angled drivers! 😃

Having tried the original pads back on afterwards I can't tell a difference now.

Reactions: hmscott and fordski
post-15777326
Post #1,752 of 1,810

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
This is what 1st gen T5p owners have to deal with:

thumbnail_IMG_2619.jpg

I had to replace the cable for the second time. I chose zynsonix for the recable and I selected his best cable. Hopefully this time it will last more than 5 years -- the stock cable failed after 5 years...and it's been 5 years since it was recabled by Beyerdynamic.

Reactions: hmscott
post-15777661
Post #1,753 of 1,810

Taz777

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thing I dislike most about the choice leather pads is the heat that builds up, which is a non-issue for 99.99% of the time so I can safely say that I like the pads a lot!
My personal favourites for the T5p
A while back I tried the stock velour pads from my T1.2 on my T5p Gen 2 and the sound was not good at all. I think closed-back headphones generally need pads with a non-porous covering (pleather, leather, etc). I think the heat build up is just something we have to live with to get the best sound quality.

post-15777665
Post #1,754 of 1,810

Taz777

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I got the "Dekoni Sheepskin DT78990 Earpads EPZ-DT78990-SK" here in the UK for £50. I cut out the driver cover as they aren't covered using the stock pads.
I have similar pads - the 'Dekoni Audio Fenestrated Elite Sheepskin Replacement Ear Pads for Beyerdynamic DT and AKG K Series Headphones - Code EPZ-DT78990' - these are basically perforated versions of the ones you have and are supposed to provide more comfort. However, interestingly, they ruin the sound from my T5p Gen2 in terms of the lower end essentially disappears!

The Choice Leather Dekonis work best for me on the T5p Gen 2 and I imagine your Sheepskin ones provide a very similar seal and level of comfort.

It was a brave decision on your part to cut out the driver cover from your pads! I've been debating doing this on my Choice Leathers for a while now but haven't come to a decision yet.

post-15777691
Post #1,755 of 1,810

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.arielext.org
Will you be using the pads on other headphones as well? Thinking about returning them?
Of both times the answer is 'no', you might want to consider it, if only for the looks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)