New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #1,186 of 1,956
I bought my T5p secondhand knowing the sliders need to be replaced, anyone have instructions for how to do so I haven't been able to find any? I've got the parts

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,187 of 1,956
I bought my T5p secondhand knowing the sliders need to be replaced, anyone have instructions for how to do so I haven't been able to find any? I've got the parts

I attached the service manual (same for T1/T5p). Its in German but page 3 should have you covered.

Attachments

• T1.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,188 of 1,956
So far: sound didn't change but the better seal makes it's purpose a bit better. Pads are comfortable but 'hotter' than stock. The weight distribution differs making me adjust the headphones more (comfort issue? don't really know yet). I do like them better than the stock pair.
I'm hunting sites to find the real leather pads now and ordered the fenestrated pads for my DT880s. Don't think the fenestrated will work with the T5p's but I will giver them a go when they arrive.

Follow up:
Received the sheepskin elites: they are a tiny bit smaller but it is notable. A bit sturdier making the clamp force just a bit more (and less enjoyable with glasses on). The leather pads are less hot on the ears, overal sound signature is the same.
If I'd buy just 1 pair? The leather pads. Should I have bought any of these? Yes, imo they are both a better fit for the cans then the original pads.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,189 of 1,956
I attached the service manual (same for T1/T5p). Its in German but page 3 should have you covered.
Hmm, for some reason I can't view the attached file

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,190 of 1,956
How are the highs of the T5p?
I‘m thinking about replacing my DT1770 with the T5p. I already had T5p 1st gen some years ago. I liked them although they were bass shy and a bit clinical.
I also had T1 G1 and now have T1G2. T1 G1 had the typical Beyer Peak. However T1 G2 is quite different. There is no treble peak, but highs are raised more broadly. I find them quite unnatural. Too much sparkle. Will sell them soon.
So how does the new T5p G2 fit in between the old Beyers (DT880, T1 G1) with treble peak, the new Beyers (DT1xx0, Amiron) with more balanced treble and the T1 G2 with his sparkling highs.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,191 of 1,956
How are the highs of the T5p?
I‘m thinking about replacing my DT1770 with the T5p. I already had T5p 1st gen some years ago. I liked them although they were bass shy and a bit clinical.
I also had T1 G1 and now have T1G2. T1 G1 had the typical Beyer Peak. However T1 G2 is quite different. There is no treble peak, but highs are raised more broadly. I find them quite unnatural. Too much sparkle. Will sell them soon.
So how does the new T5p G2 fit in between the old Beyers (DT880, T1 G1) with treble peak, the new Beyers (DT1xx0, Amiron) with more balanced treble and the T1 G2 with his sparkling highs.

I've had almost all those beyers in the last years. Settled atm with a DT880 600ohm and the T5p gen2. Before the T5p i had the DT1770 and Amiron home. The last one hit the sweet spot for me but I needed a closed back option. The DT1770 has more punch (pleather pads); more clamp but was not very comfortable for me so decided to go for the T5P. Soundwise the T5P wins it from the DT1770 (had them both for a brief while); hands down. The T5P has more class, more refined but is also a bit shy (not that 'in your face' as the DT1770). Best thing though is the portability (scalability comes in a close second though) it's a very capable headphone.

ymmv

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,192 of 1,956
The T5P has more class, more refined but is also a bit shy (not that 'in your face' as the DT1770

Thanks. Agree that the DT1770 is quite in your face (I like this sometimes), but that the big Tesla models are more refined. I like their kinda relaxed sound that nonetheless is suitable for rock music. Just have problems with their treble presentation. At least both generations of the T1. Often it’s tolerable, but I think it’s just not “hifi” if the treble is this much boosted. I had less problems with T5p G1.
So any more opinions about the T5p G2 treble presentation?

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,193 of 1,956
Having owned all of the T5p G1, T5p G2 and T1 G2, I think both G2 versions are very similar in their voicing, except the difference in sound stage because the T5p is closed. The T1 simply sounds more open and less "in your head". However, I would say that the treble of the G2 versions are more refined, they are still extended, but less of the shrill and glare from the G1 versions, the T5p G1 in particular. When I had the T5p G1, I sometimes have to back off on the volume because some female vocals' glare can get tiring, but none of this problem in either the T5p G2 or the T1 G2. These two are the end game headphones for me and the winning points for me are, they are suitable for a wide range of genres as well.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,195 of 1,956
I'm using a Grace m903. But the treble of the T1 is too much for me on all sources tested (oppo mobile amp, home stereo, etc...). It don't find it fatiguing or painful, but for me it sounds like you raise the treble control on your home stereo to about 3 o'clock or more. Just not my idea of "relatively neutral"
I guess everybody hears different. I have no problem with bright Grados, and Sennheisers are often too boring for me. I had high hopes for the T1 G2 as I found the T1 G1 just slightly too bright. And everybody talked about a smoother treble presentation.with the new generation.

I will try to test the T5p at a local store if available.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,196 of 1,956
Having owned all of the T5p G1, T5p G2 and T1 G2, I think both G2 versions are very similar in their voicing, except the difference in sound stage because the T5p is closed. The T1 simply sounds more open and less "in your head". However, I would say that the treble of the G2 versions are more refined, they are still extended, but less of the shrill and glare from the G1 versions, the T5p G1 in particular. When I had the T5p G1, I sometimes have to back off on the volume because some female vocals' glare can get tiring, but none of this problem in either the T5p G2 or the T1 G2. These two are the end game headphones for me and the winning points for me are, they are suitable for a wide range of genres as well.
I’ve owned the T1.2, T5p.2 and a few other Beyers, including the T90, Amiron and DT1990. I agree that the T1.2 and T5p.2 are very similar in their voicing. The T1.2 is semi-open, while the T5p.2 is semi-closed, so they are surprisingly similar. I was really happy with them both for a while, but found the midrange recessed and the sound artificially bright – I liked the perception of airiness and detail that they gave, and having owned the T90 previously they didn't sound that bright. What I didn’t like was that when I listened to them I would often get acoustic reflex which is when your ear tries to protect itself from high volumes, even though I didn’t think the volume was that high. I didn’t like the idea of damaging my hearing, so I sold them both, and I don’t have this problem with my current headphones - Mainly LCD2s. I couple of weeks ago a bought a new pair of T1.2s but I returned them because I had the same problem.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,197 of 1,956
Hi All,

Am on the verge of purchasing the T5p 2nd's and have a question about the sound bleed issue. I have a pair of DT 770pro 80s that I love but the wife has snaffled them and they don't have much sound bleed at all. I like to listen to a bit of chillout music before sleep and wondered if the sound bleed from the T5p 2nd's would be an issue for the good lady lying next to me. Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #1,198 of 1,956
I’m finding that I have trouble with geting a seal with the stock pads, had no luck with the Alpha pads, do the Dekoni pads increase the size of the hole for my hears without changing the sound too much and is there anyway to restore clamp?

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,199 of 1,956
I’m finding that I have trouble with geting a seal with the stock pads, had no luck with the Alpha pads, do the Dekoni pads increase the size of the hole for my hears without changing the sound too much and is there anyway to restore clamp?

I have the dekoni pads; pleather and leather and tried both with the T5P. Best pads are the leather pads. They are a bit small though but they seal very good; don't alter the sound and have a great feel to them. You can restore the clamp by bending the headband a bit, do it with care though.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #1,200 of 1,956
Hi there (is this my first post? - maybe)

I'm looking for a new headphone (who isn't here?) and wondering if maybe the Beyerdynamic T5p Gen 2 is my next one.
I now hope some of you can help me.

Today I have the Audeze Sine, witch drives by the Dragonfly Red when I'm on the road or at the office. At home I use (for now) the Dragonfly Red as an dac and the power comes from my Burson Ha-160. In the future (not to long future I hope) I'm going to buy the Burson DA-160 dac.

The problem I have is that I find my setup (or just the Sine) is that I find "direct", can't rest in the music (mostly Americana, Bluegrass and Country). My ears get tiered very fast and I can't listen for more than 30 minutes and the clamp on my ears isn't a nice thing. It's hurts after a while.
At my home setup I've used the EQ and raise the bottom with a low shelf filter. That's helps but not enough.

So my question is, do you think I would like (love) the T5P gen2? I've found the Black Dragon Headphone Cable witch could help me get a little bit more warmth.

For a couple of years ago I bought the Denon AH-A100 (witch now is broke) and used it with a Burson Ha-160D and loved the sound. So if I could find something like that, but even "better", it would be wonderful. Is the new Denon AH-D5200 a way to go, or maybe the D7200?

What do you think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back