New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #151 of 1,956
Very encouraging to hear on the treble end....but what about the huge lack of bass in the original t5p.....has this returned to at least AK t5p levels?

To me bass level is almost perfect, much more satisfying than with the original T5p. There's also just the right amount of midbass for decent kick.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #154 of 1,956
So I literally just opened the box and put these babies on - been listening to my LCD-XC's all morning - so my ears are a bit tuned to those right now, so I'm sure anything I'm hearing is colored by that fact.  Also these are fresh out of the box, so they certainly need some burn in.  

My first impression, they sound great - they don't have as much "umph" as the LCD's, not sure how to describe it exactly, they seem more precise and not as much bass right now - the Audeze are well broken in and sound like a warm friend from the 70's, the TP5's sound more exact right now - hope that makes sense.  I'm by no means an expert and wouldn't consider myself an audiophile - so just my initial impression.  
I'll be excited to see how these burn in.

I will also note how much more comfortable they are - but that was to be expected :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #155 of 1,956
Greetings, I'm not meaning to get off-thread here, but ....
I'm in the process of getting funds together to get a couple of very good pairs of 'phones and an amp, so feel free to chime in on my question but I'm kinda aiming this at MacedonianHero as I've often found your posts read excellently and consequently have read some of your reviews.
In particular of late, the Kenzie amp and the T1.
I'm looking at that amp (plus perhaps the Matrix balanced) and the HD800s, and T5p. 
The reason I'm here now is that right now were I to buy the T1 2nd gen it would cost me exactly half what the HD800s would, and although I'm not thinking the same will definitely be true of the T5p, it WILL still cost substantially less than the HD800s.
Now I know comparisons etc between different products are complex for many reasons, but initially I WAS looking at JUST either the T1 2nd or the HD800s, and I'm just curious as to why the Senn (again, to me here in the UK) costs almost twice the T1.
Could I ask you (and any others who may wish to answer) why you think that is, and what your thoughts are on that price difference.

I am not looking to create a HD800s vs T1/5p thread or discussion! I am simply genuinely puzzled, and extremely interested as to why the HD800s is twice as expensive.
Many thanks for any advice you may have.

Basically, I want to get the Kenzie, the HD800s and the T5p, plus maybe the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B to enable me to use the Hd800s' balanced cable, presuming that isn't possible with the Kenzie amp. Current plan when funds permit!

Be well.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #156 of 1,956

Would you say they are brighter than the T1 gen 2? I heard them briefly and was looking for treble between the original T1 and Gen 2 if that makes sense. T1 was just a tad bright for my ears/taste, still may fit more than Gen2 for me.

I don't want to say too much with only 3 hours on them so far. I do very much prefer the Gen 2 T1s to the original T1s (mostly due to the smoother treble). I will definitely mention this in my review and I'll try to report back when I get about 50 hours or so on them.

But out of the box, the T5p Gen 2's treble is a tad more "energetic" than the T1 Gen 2. We'll see how things go with some burn-in.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #157 of 1,956
  Greetings, I'm not meaning to get off-thread here, but ....
I'm in the process of getting funds together to get a couple of very good pairs of 'phones and an amp, so feel free to chime in on my question but I'm kinda aiming this at MacedonianHero as I've often found your posts read excellently and consequently have read some of your reviews.
In particular of late, the Kenzie amp and the T1.
I'm looking at that amp (plus perhaps the Matrix balanced) and the HD800s, and T5p. 
The reason I'm here now is that right now were I to buy the T1 2nd gen it would cost me exactly half what the HD800s would, and although I'm not thinking the same will definitely be true of the T5p, it WILL still cost substantially less than the HD800s.
Now I know comparisons etc between different products are complex for many reasons, but initially I WAS looking at JUST either the T1 2nd or the HD800s, and I'm just curious as to why the Senn (again, to me here in the UK) costs almost twice the T1.
Could I ask you (and any others who may wish to answer) why you think that is, and what your thoughts are on that price difference.

I am not looking to create a HD800s vs T1/5p thread or discussion! I am simply genuinely puzzled, and extremely interested as to why the HD800s is twice as expensive.
Many thanks for any advice you may have.

Basically, I want to get the Kenzie, the HD800s and the T5p, plus maybe the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B to enable me to use the Hd800s' balanced cable, presuming that isn't possible with the Kenzie amp. Current plan when funds permit!

Be well.

Thanks for the kind comments. 
redface.gif
 I'm totally in the dark on the price differences? Here in North America, the T1v2 costs $1099US and the HD800S runs about $1699. So it's not 2X the difference AND the HD800S includes both a balanced 4pin XLR cable and standard TRS 1/4" cable. The cable runs $379.95...so that would make the difference $600 - $380 = $220US. So they are in the same ballpark as we say (here in North America). I don't know why this isn't the same ratio where you are. 

I can say that the T1v2 is one brilliant flagship headphone and when paired with the ampsandsound Kenzie, just a totally wonderful audio experience. 
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #158 of 1,956

Many thanks for your response!
Can I ask then what you think about the possibility of owning BOTH the T1 2nd AND the T5p 2nd (along with the HD800s)?
I ask because I'm very much drawn to the T5p because of the portability and ability to be driven easily off portable devices, so not being 
limited to only at-home use as the T1 would be. I suppose it comes down to how sonically similar they are, and although you haven't had enough
time to know that yet, I'm guessing it's not going to be night and day?
I want the Hd800s for various reasons, and the T5p then is a closed back (AND portable) to complement it. Is the T1 going to be alternative
enough to the T5p to warrant the extra outlay?! What's your gut instinct, knowing that funds are NOT unlimited!
Thank you, and be well.

P.S. Could I just confirm with you that the balanced cable that comes with the HD800s cannot be used in conjunction with the Kenzie? I would ideally like to utilise that cable and the 800's balanced ability which is why I was thinking of the Matrix amp you reviewed. I don't want to pay that much for the 800s (and the balanced cable is a substantial cost) and not use it at least some of the time!

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #159 of 1,956

Many thanks for your response!
Can I ask then what you think about the possibility of owning BOTH the T1 2nd AND the T5p 2nd (along with the HD800s)?
I ask because I'm very much drawn to the T5p because of the portability and ability to be driven easily off portable devices, so not being 
limited to only at-home use as the T1 would be. I suppose it comes down to how sonically similar they are, and although you haven't had enough
time to know that yet, I'm guessing it's not going to be night and day?
I want the Hd800s for various reasons, and the T5p then is a closed back (AND portable) to complement it. Is the T1 going to be alternative
enough to the T5p to warrant the extra outlay?! What's your gut instinct, knowing that funds are NOT unlimited!
Thank you, and be well.

P.S. Could I just confirm with you that the balanced cable that comes with the HD800s cannot be used in conjunction with the Kenzie? I would ideally like to utilise that cable and the 800's balanced ability which is why I was thinking of the Matrix amp you reviewed. I don't want to pay that much for the 800s (and the balanced cable is a substantial cost) and not use it at least some of the time!

Regarding the T5p v2, you'll have to give me some time with them. I'll be sure to capture your questions in my review.

The Kenzie is a single ended amplifier...so you can't use a balanced cable with it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #163 of 1,956
How is your view on the excessive warmth progressing?

I have done a few hours of comparison between the T5p1 and the T5p2 and I am still unsure.  I love that the T5p2s are really an important step towards balance and that I can now hear "more" of the music, but I have two or three first impressions:

1) Female vocals in the T5p1 are unbeatable. This is particularly clear in certain opera arias.  I tend to miss the level of detail and transparency that is reached by the T5p1s in female voices.

2) Overall, the sound of the T5p1s emphasizes vocals and their details. Vocals are presented much more "up front" , specially female ones. I tend to miss that in the T5p2s, 

3) In some genres the t5p2s warmth seems to add some elements/distortions to the music.  This is particularly noticeable in the horns of old salsa, for example. (if you are curious, try the opening horns in this salsa classic:frowning2: https://open.spotify.com/track/23Fw0qh3Onqn2276LiL2pT ) They don't sound nearly as smooth as they did in the T5p1s.   I also noticed this issue in some female vocals:  Try the piano version of Chandelier by Sia, for example.    I did not hear some of those elements with the T5p1s.   On the contrary, they were addictively natural and smooth.

Any views on this?

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #165 of 1,956
Mine might get delivered today! akipping out on the gym this morning as I don't want to risk missing the truck lol. I'm sure you guys know how it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back