New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 14, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #181 of 1,956
You know plakat i wished they gone like Sennheiser selling 2 versions, but i guess it is too much to ask... I dont know, but why manufacturers don't sell headphones with 2 pairs of pads. One pair of pads for airier presentation and other for a smoother. You guys remember about Akg 700 series situation with different pads?

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #182 of 1,956
Thanks for the recommendation of the Lehmann amp after our talk on the phone Hifiguy. I'll be sure to check it out. I'm a little worried about its low output though and the fact that the only place to get one is through an eBay international seller. If For some reason I end up not liking it then I'd probably be out a $1000 as its not exactly an amp that is widely talked about here on headfi. Not saying that it's out of the equation just my brain doing the math.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Lehmann-Audio-Linear-Headphone-Amp-Black/productinfo/LEHBCHAB/

http://www.needledoctor.com/Lehmann-Audio-Linear-Headphone-Amp?sc=7&category=18576

Hey guys I have a question and it might not be the right thread but you guys seem pretty cool so I'm taking my chances lol. I just bought an iPad and plan on using Spotify and tidal. I have an external dac and amp but not sure if the iPad will read the dac when I get the ca,era connector. What would be the best way to stream the music to my setup without having to have another display setup. I just want my rig next me and only have to pick up my iPad and press play.

Not every DAC supports this...

@jpimentelc what is your music source?

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #183 of 1,956
Definitely a lot of term mixing
wink.gif
  Balanced is typically refers to sound signature (L-shaped, V-shaped, balanced, mid-forward, U-shaped, etc).  Warmth is more of tonal characteristic, sound coloring, such as warm vs bright, etc.  I personally find T5p.2 to have a rather balanced signature and a neutral tonality that has a slight tilt toward warm organic color.  But it's all a part of a subjective relative comparison, especially if your personal sound preference is bright vs warm.  If your ears are not overly sensitive to bright analytical sound, you might find original T5p to be neutral and T5p.2 warm in comparison.  But if you find the sound of T5p.2 to be your typical "neutral" - then original T5p will be on a brighter and a thinner side (due to some lack of low end extension).  The same way how I argue with people who think DUNU DN2000J is smooth/neutral while I find it bright - we just hear things differently
biggrin.gif

Your source will be an important factor as well.  Driving it from my Galaxy Note 4 or from my ThinkPad T430s - yeah, sound it colored and not as detailed because these are warm and not highly resolving sources to begin with.  But it sounds amazing from PAW Gold or X7 or AK120ii (and its AK T5p EQ preset definitely rolls off the treble) or L5 Pro or even down to X5ii or X3ii, though it does scales down in resolution and detail retrieval with mid-fi sources.  Or for example, adding HA-2 to Note 4 make them shine.  One thing for sure, you can drive them with authority from any mid-fi or summit-fi DAP without any need for amping, perfect for a portable use.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #184 of 1,956
You know plakat i wished they gone like Sennheiser selling 2 versions, but i guess it is too much to ask... I dont know, but why manufacturers don't sell headphones with 2 pairs of pads. One pair of pads for airier presentation and other for a smoother. You guys remember about Akg 700 series situation with different pads?

You could in fact try the T1 pads which are velour, giving less seal and potentially sounding a bit more airy. Might be worth checking out...
I can udnerstand that Beyer doesn't want the trouble of selling two rather similar (and optically almost identical even) headphones, its a not too big company and a proliferating portfolio might pose problems in logistics and spare parts keeping.

Hey guys I have a question and it might not be the right thread but you guys seem pretty cool so I'm taking my chances lol. I just bought an iPad and plan on using Spotify and tidal. I have an external dac and amp but not sure if the iPad will read the dac when I get the ca,era connector. What would be the best way to stream the music to my setup without having to have another display setup. I just want my rig next me and only have to pick up my iPad and press play.

You might take to the search machine of your choice to see if anyone has tried your DAC with the CCK. Often the problem is the choice of USB power design on the DAC side... so trying out may be the only option if you don't find any info on the combination.
An overkill option given the limited space between you and your headphone amp would be to use Airplay with an Airport Express... you could stream from an iPad and use the Airport Express optical output to feed your DAC (16/44 only though).

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #185 of 1,956
You could in fact try the T1 pads which are velour, giving less seal and potentially sounding a bit more airy. Might be worth checking out...
I can udnerstand that Beyer doesn't want the trouble of selling two rather similar (and optically almost identical even) headphones, its a not too big company and a proliferating portfolio might pose problems in logistics and spare parts. I was talking about headphones in general.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #186 of 1,956
  I can understand that Beyer doesn't want the trouble of selling two rather similar (and optically almost identical even) headphones, its a not too big company and a proliferating portfolio might pose problems in logistics and spare parts. I was talking about headphones in general.

Yes, I understand the part about two sets of pads and concur. It would indeed be interesting to see more headphone by default come with different pad options. At least it would motivate the manufacturers to make pads easily exchangeable... At least with Beyer this is simple and parts are readily available.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #187 of 1,956

You may want to look into VLC or nPlayer for iOS.

I prefer to load music on and use Vox and CanOpener for Flac and Lossy files. Really like both of those apps especially the interface.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #188 of 1,956
Read through the T5p v2 thread and excited to get mine though they aren't available for purchase in Canada just yet. Ridiculous since it's already February 14, 2016 and still no dealer selling in Canada. Hoping Peter CarinI at Beyerdynamic can help!  

I do own a pair of T 51 i teslas that I love a lot and wondering if the T5p v2 will sound that much better since they cost more than 3 times. Does anyone know?

I also own a pair of Fidelio X2 that sound great but must admit the T 51 i's sound better. I listen to both headphones with an iPhone 5s connected to an Onkyo DAC-HA200.  Thanks

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #189 of 1,956

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Lehmann-Audio-Linear-Headphone-Amp-Black/productinfo/LEHBCHAB/

http://www.needledoctor.com/Lehmann-Audio-Linear-Headphone-Amp?sc=7&category=18576

@jpimentelc what is your music source?

Tried them in most ultra-portable mediocre sources. :) I know this might sound like overkill but the T5ps 1 GEN worked amazingly well even with these sources.

I mean Youtube videos, mp3s, AACs (160kpbs), Spotify Pro...  From iPad Pro, Iphone 6, Macbook Pro 15 inch.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #190 of 1,956

Velous original 1770 (and770) are quite isolated. The T1 velours are not. Its in the inside material (foam and the inside part with the little holes, in the T1.2 bigger holes.. A lot of sound tuning is done by Beyer with the pads.

Currently listening to 1770 with T1.2 pads. Bass really gets less in percieved "pressure". Airy is the right word, they are basically open headphones, I can hear everything going on in the room, even my pcs fans in quiet passages. (and my pc is pretty quiet).

It is an interesting experience and the earpads are very comfy. A bit too far away from my ear now, which helps soundstage immensely, but the feeling of "closeness" of voices goes away.

A cheap way to enjoy open airyness though.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #191 of 1,956
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #192 of 1,956
I wonder if anyone can comment on their observations between the AKT5p and the new Gen2 T5p.

Reading about the Gen2 characteristics makes me wonder if the AKT5p was an early release of the Gen2.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #193 of 1,956
Feb 15, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #194 of 1,956

Thanks for this, excellent and exhaustive as always. Regarding leakage, did you try taping over the vents, and did that help things? And how bad is it at lower volumes, in a library-like listening scenario? Would it cause problems?

Yes, I used a few pieces of blue painters tape to cover that port :)  It reduces leakage a bit, but also affects the bass response and soundstage.

At lower volume the leakage goes down exponentially.  Again, this is all relative because I listen to full size headphones at a higher volume, especially thinking I will hear more details since these are not IEMs jammed into my ears.  Here, I was quite amazed that I lowered the volume without affecting coherency of the sound, it just linearly scaled back in dBs without compromising any details across FR.  I wouldn't even know there is sound leakage until my wife mentioned that to me, sitting on the couch a few feet away.  I checked it by playing at a regular volume while recording myself on a phone about a foot away from my face.  When I played it back and cranked up the phone volume, I was able to hear it.  Once I reduced volume below my usual listening threshold, leakage went down significantly while I adjusted to a new listening level without loosing any details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back